JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm moving into a new position at work that requires about 70% travel in my companies Northwest region (Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, the Dakotas, Wyoming, Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, and Nevada). I've traveled for my company before but never extensively, and I know my kit is sub-par to say the least. Anybody here do frequent business travel and would care to share some lessons learned about packing, airline/hotel loyalty programs, gear, etc?

It's nice that my Oregon+Utah permit combo covers all of the states mentioned except Co., but I doubt I'll be taking my Shield very often as I'll need to enter federal facilities frequently.

There are 2 kinds of luggage. Carry on and Lost.

Get a loyalty program. Use it. Look for forums on it (Reddit etc) so you can learn the good places in the various air ports.
What is best -- hte one that is in the places/airlines/hotels you can choose.

Negotiate with your boss, so the points are yours. (not all government will allow that, but worth the conversation)
Pay for everything on a credit card in your name, and expense. You get teh loyalty $$ / points whatever. What's in Your Wallet.

Ensure you know what you are allowed to expense - and milk it. Sooner or later they'll get you on something. Balance in your favor. ( I traveled once to Seattle for a week, parking at the hotel was extra. My companies policy was under $20 didn't need a receipt.... well except when they did - and I lost a couple of days parking reimbursement because I didn't have one.) Did I eat steak and lobster on the next trip....

Merino. Undies and Socks. Darn Tough - highly recommended. You can turn them inside out for next day / rinse in the sink and dry by morning. That's 4 days one set.
Compression socks - for on the plane.
Microfibre towel. Cause you need a towel. And one which dries quickly.
Sleep sack - cause there are lazy maids.
flips / thongs / shower shoes. What ever you call them, you need them for the room carpet too.
Learn to id bed bug signs.
I like plaid / pattern shirts for travel. If something spills, it will be hidden.
All clothes need to mix and match.
Dark packable jacket. Based upon some of your destinations, dark packable down jacket too.
Sleep mask.
Dopp are personal. I like a "roll" kind over the bag kind. LL Bean.
Belts with plastic buckles are available (5.11, LA Police gear and others)
Slip off shoes.

You can bring an empty water bottle thru the TSA check. Fill up at the handy fountains on the inside.
Purell. Small travel size with out a pump (add zip top bag) and you are set.
Keep a pocket empty in your carry on. Dump your pockets into that pocket when you get to the security line - to avoid dumping everything in the tote.

Kindle paper white for reading - long, long battery life.

There are multiools with out a knife blade. handy.
A simple safety razor blade can double as a package / bag opener.

Don't forget to sight see when you get the chance. Just cause it is work doesn't mean you don't enjoy yourself.

Get the car with the trunk. The SUV/Van is a target.

Ask for the upgrade.

If you loose or break something, ask the manager at the hotel. Ear buds, power cables, adapters all get left behind.

Use their names. If the person you are dealing with has to wear a name badge, use their name. You want to be the guest who was polite and patient, and not the problem.

To look for luggage etc.
OneBag
Wirecutter
Lots of tips from RickSteves - the PBS Europe travelog guy

Check lists and use them. I keep mine in an email message to myself - handy on the phone.

Oh, and just cause you can't pack to the Federal sites, you'll be in hotels, out to restaurants etc. If you have to check baggage, include a pistol safe with your shield. 'Cause. Just 'cause. A bit trickier if you don't check a bag.

Don't do anything an FBI or Secret Service agent wouldn't.

Don't do anything an FBI or Secret Service agent wouldn't.

Hehe, that is a low bar right there my friend :s0114:

Seriously though, thanks for the great write up. I'm stoked about the new job but I know my travel game is low at the moment and I want to make sure to avoid most rookie mistakes.

Don't settle for cheap rental cars. Drive what you do at home or better. Bigger is better.

Eat well. Don't eat crap food to save a buck. As good as you eat at home or better.

Take in sites when you can, you should have down time.

Rental Golf clubs. You will probably see some great courses.

Zicam. Lots of Zicam on airplanes. It works great.

Try to build up to Business Class on longer flights.

We worked over a 3 state area with our construction business moving specialty equipment almost weekly. WE had it worked out pretty good where our suppliers were in a 3 state area. When you are living on the road 5 days of 7 you have to have it together. We would leave a work truck at airports and fly home for the 3 day weekends, we usually worked 4 12s.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top