JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I hate most everything about California. I lived there for 18 years and 1 day and left as soon as I could. That said, California has the best drivers in the country by far. Where else can you do 90 5 feet apart and all get along? If someone squeezes in in front of you nobody even gets mad, you know it's your fault for leaving too much space. In Oregon the "mergee" would speed up, try to cut you off, then lay on the horn and ride your azz, he would flip you off, you would flip him off, that would send him OVER THE MOON and he would follow you to your house like a crazy man.

Let's not even go into what happens if you try using a legally available lane that is going to end in 5 miles.....

If you are going to act like a bada$$ you should probably hit the gym once in a while.

The victim in this case exercised remarkable restraint. If this joker had tried that crap with me he would have had a gun barrel in his mouth.

Motorcyclist did the right thing. That being said I know that I don't have the same restraint as the dude in the video.... He shoved the dudes girlfriend for crying out loud and almost tipped his bike over.

I would have given my firearm to my gf and then at least made the dude bleed or broken a bone before I had him on the ground. Easy to say that you were just trying to subdue someone when all of a sudden they have a compound fracture in their elbow.

Glad to see others were able to help out. +1 for humanity

It was proposed in Oregon this year!
Stacy

As someone that got their motorcycle license while stationed in California and then moved back to Oregon after I got out I'm very interested in this. Turns out people HATE it when you split lanes here... Didn't realize it was illegal until I asked my other Oregon/Washington friends.

Has it passed or just a thought?

They were thinking on that in Washington also,but there is no way I would split lanes in the PNW.
Car will take out motorcycles if they can.
Like I said before you don't want to be dead right

They were thinking on that in Washington also,but there is no way I would split lanes in the PNW.
Car will take out motorcycles if they can.
Like I said before you don't want to be dead right

I've split lanes very safely in California for years and I rode year round. The law is written that you're only allowed to split lanes if:
- traffic is stopped or slowly crawling (there's a speed requirement and I think it's 5-10 mph)
- motorcycle speed limit while splitting is 20 mph
- can't hit mirrors ;)

I believe that if lane splitting is allowed these guidelines ought to be in effect.

it's actually fairly safe and awesome when there's grid lock. Especially for us dual sport riders :cool:

I've split lanes very safely in California for years and I rode year round. The law is written that you're only allowed to split lanes if:
- traffic is stopped or slowly crawling (there's a speed requirement and I think it's 5-10 mph)
- motorcycle speed limit while splitting is 20 mph
- can't hit mirrors ;)

I believe that if lane splitting is allowed these guidelines ought to be in effect.

it's actually fairly safe and awesome when there's grid lock. Especially for us dual sport riders :cool:
I would definitely give it some time up there.
I've seen it done in Ca.Different mind set down there too.Like I said before they understand that it's 1 less car in their way.
PNW drivers ain't that smart.Plus it's from Ca so they will hate it.Even with traffic at a crawl, a car can act like they are switching lanes and screw your whole day up
You do know what 'dead right' means right?
You were in the right,had the right of way, but dead anyway. That's how I see lane splitting going in the PNW

I would definitely give it some time up there.
I've seen it done in Ca.Different mind set down there too.Like I said before they understand that it's 1 less car in their way.
PNW drivers ain't that smart.Plus it's from Ca so they will hate it.Even with traffic at a crawl, a car can act like they are switching lanes and screw your whole day up
You do know what 'dead right' means right?
You were in the right,had the right of way, but dead anyway. That's how I see lane splitting going in the PNW

Good points. It also gives more room for motorcyclists to stretch which translates into giving a foot and them taking a mile. There are those that lane split going 40-50 mph but they're also not alive long enough to increase the ratio of dumb crap motorcyclists to sane motorcyclists.

The safe way to practice this is to split lanes going less than 10 mph if cars are slowly crawling (stop/go) and go the full 20 mph if theirs absolute grid lock. It also helps if you're riding a dirt bike because you have an increase sight radius and your mirrors pass over all cars except for lifted trucks.

I don't believe that this positions any rider for taking a chance for their life. Though there are motorcyclists that ride sport bikes or cruisers with just t shirts, shorts, and shoes.... but that's a different story all together

the second that guy touched my girl he would have been eating knuckle sandwiches. repeatedly. from her. then me. although i would have it, a gun wouldnt be necessary in that situation. that dude dropped like a sack of potatoes.

As someone that got their motorcycle license while stationed in California and then moved back to Oregon after I got out I'm very interested in this. Turns out people HATE it when you split lanes here... Didn't realize it was illegal until I asked my other Oregon/Washington friends.

Has it passed or just a thought?

Heard earlier this year one legislator/senator just proposed it. I haven't heard anything since.
Sounds crazy to me, it's hard enough keeping track of the bikes as it is. ( I drive a tractor/trailer rig, there's a lot of crazys out there bike and car )

Stacy

I hear you. However, I'd not take the word of a maniac as gospel, especially if there are numerous witnesses and film. I don't think it has been established that the bike "was wrong".. as you said.
anyway

I thought I heard that in the part where the motorcyclist had the guy on the ground. I could be wrong. If the justification was over lane splitting the driver was right, but that doesn't extend to hitting someone. When someone else violates driving codes, leave it be. You aren't going to help by policing the situation.

I thought I heard that in the part where the motorcyclist had the guy on the ground. I could be wrong. If the justification was over lane splitting the driver was right, but that doesn't extend to hitting someone. When someone else violates driving codes, leave it be. You aren't going to help by policing the situation.
I heard him mumble something too. Had he said he was Jesus Christ, it'd amount to pretty much the same thing.

I don't know how many people against lane splitting ride bikes in the PNW but you should try it before being so against it. Done it many decades in California. In front of CHP. Be hind CHP on freeways. Many people in cars actually wave at you.

Before I was a believer and tried to do the "right thing" and stay with cars. After too many close calls of people near ramming from behind or merging from the next lane and not seeing me. I had far less problems by splitting.

Ol' Shrek there, on the ground, needs to get his teeth fixed. I thort you guys are allus tellin' us furriners that we all gots bad teeth?

By Jeez, he's FUGLY.

Did I mention also very lucky he didn't get the almighty crap beaten out of him? Touch mrs tac and he'd be admiring his arm stumps.

tac

I owned a road rager once.

Kept the little rascal in the trunk!

trunk-monkey-o.gif

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show