JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here's a lesson my hot headed little brother learned awhile back.
We were driving along a country two lane road in his Toyota van, when a late model pickup pulled out of a private road and failed to notice us coming up rather fast. (My brother was driving over the posted speed limit).
My brother swerves around him, gets in front and slams on the brakes to a complete stop.
I told him to forget it, the guy just didn't see us and let it go at that.
He storms up to the older man, and is about to give him the riot act, when about 30 seconds later he returns to the car and is white as a ghost.
I asked him if he felt any better cussing out the guy and he said that he would never do that again.
After a couple of miles down the road, he told me what happened.
"I walked up to his truck, ready to give him a piece of my mind, when he lowered his window and laid a cocked large caliber magnum pistol on the window sill and made a clear and concise statement to me".
"There is nothing you can say to me, that is worth your life".
My brother had always had a short fuse. That episode changed all that. He is a more considerate driver, not in such a hurry as before and believe me he saw the light that day.

I had a similar incident. Driving alone and passed a slow driver. Then I got in front of him. I didn't slam on the breaks or anything, just kept going. He sped up and then pulled up beside me flipping me the bird and cussing me out at the next stop light. I told him to go kick rocks and pulled away. He starts following me close and honking. Little did he know, I was heading to meet a group of friends, about 10 guys in all, to go to a movie, so I call them and let them know what is going on. I pull into the parking lot and jump out of my truck as my friends walk over top greet me. He pulls in behind me and I motion for him to come on over and have a chat. He declined and turned around rather fast.

"I walked up to his truck, ready to give him a piece of my mind, when he lowered his window and laid a cocked large caliber magnum pistol on the window sill and made a clear and concise statement to me".
"There is nothing you can say to me, that is worth your life".

Personally if I were the stranger in your brother's story, I would not be comfortable brandishing my gun like that. Unless he started breaking in my car, I'd just let the fool cuss, nod my head a few times, and drive away.

As a CHL holder, I have a responsibility to avoid conflict, which normal people do not have. That means humbling myself, or losing face in front of strangers or even my friends. Getting into a dispute is not an option.

Also to me, a CHL is exclusively to protect myself from fatal threats. Not to scare off robbers or road ragers. Legal consequences do not make that worthwhile.

The problem is, just like feral dogs, when you run that drives them to chase.

I'm not saying you should have stood your ground; Monday morning quarterbacking is something I don't do well. I had a similar situation happen to me. As I was driving I called the police, described the vehicle and behavior, then proceeded to get to the most well-lit crowded area I could. They ended up backing off when they saw I was on the phone (they were probably just messing around and figured I was calling the cops) but I wanted to try and stop the chase before it began.

.....so I have to wonder, because I do that a lot.

What was your GF's opinion of your actions.

I was kind of re-hashing all the events with her after we got home that night, and expressed to her that I, wasn't sure I handled it as well as I should or could have, and she basically mirrored a lot of the sentiments on here, that I got us out of there without anybody, the instigator included, getting hurt, so it was a success.

I have to say, one of the things I appreciate most about her is the fact that she can keep a calm head in these situations. She "gets it", understands why I carry all day every day, and does the same herself. She was on the phone giving calm, useful information to the 911 Operator, with her hand on her pistol ready to back whatever play I needed to make as the situation developed. Nice feeling having backup with me when we're out and about, rather than just someone who I need to protect.

Only thing you did wrong was not take the guy's ,picture and a picture of the truck.
Other than that,nobody can say you did wrong ,since there were no bodies to hide...I mean nobody got hurt.

I have had folks follow me a few times for trying to pass when they were driving slow.lamrith probably know the 167 traffic.And the 512 traffic sucks daily.
Actually one of those incidents was taken care of when,without a gun present ( I quit carrying because the Boeing muts gave me plenty of times to shoot someone) a guy started tailgating until I looked down and placed my hand on the seat....where he thought my gun was,hehe.He backed WAY off

I usually just keep driving the speed limit until I find a LEO or a precinct.
By myself I may have told the guy to piss off,but with someone else,probably not. My first wife would have had her gun trained on his head,though,lol

So no quarterbacking here either,just remember to get the pics

We have more than enough idiots here in the Medford area... I've had a few follow me a few times (it's especially nerve racking when you are way out in the sticks at night where I live and they want to play games) One guy swears I was flying up on his butt (I drive at / under the speed limit 99% of the time) and passed him in a no passing zone. When I pass was just after the double yellow and I was only going 50mph in un posted zone...oh yeah I'm such a speed demon in my 3 cylinder Metro! Anyway, I'm glad the situation ended peacefully and it seems that you have some other options to weigh out how you might handle this should it happen again (heaven forbid)

I was kind of re-hashing all the events with her after we got home that night, and expressed to her that I, wasn't sure I handled it as well as I should or could have, and she basically mirrored a lot of the sentiments on here, that I got us out of there without anybody, the instigator included, getting hurt, so it was a success.

I have to say, one of the things I appreciate most about her is the fact that she can keep a calm head in these situations. She "gets it", understands why I carry all day every day, and does the same herself. She was on the phone giving calm, useful information to the 911 Operator, with her hand on her pistol ready to back whatever play I needed to make as the situation developed. Nice feeling having backup with me when we're out and about, rather than just someone who I need to protect.

Thank you for the response, I wanted to know because at times it truly matters... Like if the situation got out of hand, her mindset, her mentality of when to shoot, her understanding of what was transpiring.

I feel there are times when protecting yourself is hard enough and it's always good to know that you have a completely capable partner with you that can validate the story, especially under duress.

( she's a keeper )

Personally if I were the stranger in your brother's story, I would not be comfortable brandishing my gun like that. Unless he started breaking in my car, I'd just let the fool cuss, nod my head a few times, and drive away.

As a CHL holder, I have a responsibility to avoid conflict, which normal people do not have. That means humbling myself, or losing face in front of strangers or even my friends. Getting into a dispute is not an option.

Also to me, a CHL is exclusively to protect myself from fatal threats. Not to scare off robbers or road ragers. Legal consequences do not make that worthwhile.

IF a person acts irrationally (and road rage is exactly that- irrational) uses their vehicle to physically stop you, and approaches yourvehicle in an aggressive manner, they have already given you good cause to believe they intend to hurt you. It is unfortunate that so many people misunderstand what brandishing really is, and how effective thedisplay of a weapon can be (not always the best idea, it's simply one option inthe repertoire). Threat displays are so effective that almost every creature on earth has developed some form of it.

The VAST majority of defenseive gun uses, according to Kleck's study and some others,never result in anyone being harmed, or even in a firearm being discharged. Simply verbalizing the idea that you have a gun and are willing to use it, or displaying the firearm, are enough to avert further escalation a majority of the time. (I wouldn't bluff, having your bluff called would tend to escalate the perp's violence level, I believe. Makre sure you atcually carry every day.)

I think this example was a perfect defensive use of a firearm. The brother was clearly the aggressor, the defensive reponse was measured, calm, and proportional to the threat. The victim who defended himself had no idea whether the brother was armed, and had good indicators that he was impulsive, irrational, and possibly violent.

As for robbers, a robbery (as opposed to a burglary) is confronting the victim directly. A robber is making an explicit threat of violence: give me what I want or I will hurt/kill you. The RCWs explicitly acknowledge your option to use deadly force in defense of your life, but also to prevent serious bodily harm. ORS have similar wording and intent. A robbery can go wrong in an instant even if the victim complies, and the line between physical and deadly force is not that clear until it haas alredy been crossed.

We all have Neanderthal DNA (non-Africans) so that animal instinct and anger is implanted in all of us just ready to come out at the best or worse times. If us improved Homo Sapiens didn't go slumming on the bad side of town for some Nean-do-girls that probably wouldn't be an issue.

What I am trying to say is the we are essentially animals under our polished exteriors. http://io9.com/5822357/confirmed-all-non+african-people-are-part-neanderthal

As Capt Kirk said "We can admit that we're killers, but we're not going to kill today. That's all it takes."

I have to say, one of the things I appreciate most about her is the fact that s

he can keep a calm head in these situations. She "gets it", understands why I carry all day every day, and does the same herself. She was on the phone giving calm, useful information to the 911 Operator, with her hand on her pistol ready to back whatever play I needed to make as the situation developed. Nice feeling having backup with me when we're out and about, rather than just someone who I need to protect.

Sounds like a keeper!

IF a person acts irrationally (and road rage is exactly that- irrational) uses their vehicle to physically stop you, and approaches yourvehicle in an aggressive manner, they have already given you good cause to believe they intend to hurt you. It is unfortunate that so many people misunderstand what brandishing really is, and how effective thedisplay of a weapon can be (not always the best idea, it's simply one option inthe repertoire). Threat displays are so effective that almost every creature on earth has developed some form of it.

The VAST majority of defenseive gun uses, according to Kleck's study and some others,never result in anyone being harmed, or even in a firearm being discharged. Simply verbalizing the idea that you have a gun and are willing to use it, or displaying the firearm, are enough to avert further escalation a majority of the time. (I wouldn't bluff, having your bluff called would tend to escalate the perp's violence level, I believe. Makre sure you atcually carry every day.)

I think this example was a perfect defensive use of a firearm. The brother was clearly the aggressor, the defensive reponse was measured, calm, and proportional to the threat. The victim who defended himself had no idea whether the brother was armed, and had good indicators that he was impulsive, irrational, and possibly violent.

As for robbers, a robbery (as opposed to a burglary) is confronting the victim directly. A robber is making an explicit threat of violence: give me what I want or I will hurt/kill you. The RCWs explicitly acknowledge your option to use deadly force in defense of your life, but also to prevent serious bodily harm. ORS have similar wording and intent. A robbery can go wrong in an instant even if the victim complies, and the line between physical and deadly force is not that clear until it haas alredy been crossed.
Nicely stated.
Thanks

As a commuter who drives 40,000 miles per year before going anywhere, I can sympathize with you. Most of the time I drive in the far left lane clipping along at a fairly decent pace. That is until I end up smack behind a sunday driver not willing to move over, like the law requires here in Oregon, so I go around. Most of the time the snailmobile I'm passing will speed up and turn on their brights blinding me while tailgating. I don't know why it is so hard for people to just move over and let someone pass. Most of the accidents I have seen are because someone is forced to go around a slower vehicle that refuses to move over.

This may irk my Washington state friends but 8 times out of 10 while driving on I-5 it will be a WA plated car driving in the left lane and never move over even after many cars have passed them in the right lane. What is it about the left lane and WA cars???? :confused:

This may irk my Washington state friends but 8 times out of 10 while driving on I-5 it will be a WA plated car driving in the left lane and never move over even after many cars have passed them in the right lane. What is it about the left lane and WA cars???? :confused:

So it's NOT just me? I've noticed that too!! I have a theory. Up near Seattle, there are a bunch of left exits off of I-5. It's a strange cultural thing. Washingtonians seem to LOVE the left lane of the freeway, regardless of speed. People from all states do it, but there does seem to be something different about Washingtonians on that score.

But on point: I applaud the OP for not escalating, not confronting, and getting himself and his GF home safely. Nothing (NOTHING) was more important.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top