JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I live in the mule deer capital of the PNW, at any given time, there are usually a couple within sight. This means that several hundred are killed every year on our highways, I've hit two in the 20+ years I've lived here. My question is, would you use whatever your regular carry ammo is to put it out of its misery, or would you keep a magazine/speed loader in your rig loaded with some more appropriate large critter killing bullets? I realize that in a perfect world, the animal will be lying quietly and a single carefully aimed head shot will do the job, even if all you have is a .22. But what if it's down but thrashing around? Or am I just overthinking this :rolleyes:? And no, waiting for LE to show up isn't a viable answer, at any given time, there are maybe 5 cops patrolling 100+ miles of main highway, and God only knows how many miles of secondary and/or gravel roads. Later.

Dave

I do it all the time, I live in an area that has a lot of deer hit and end up doing it on a regular basis. Also when hunting if an animal is still alive when down a finish off shot is done with my sidearm which is usually my EDC. If you can down a cow/bull for slaughter with a .22 I don't think a deer is going to be any different and have actually done so in the past. Many a deer have been taken down in the past by .22 or 22mag just ask someone your grandparents age (before all the regulations) or read about what a lot of poachers use.

I agree with others here. For A stationary aninal a .22, .22mag etc is fine and won't make a mess.

Its its thrashing around a 12 ga loaded with #4 buck would be nice to have, but not sure I would carry it around 24/7 just for that.

In Wa it used to be illegal to shoot a wounded animal on or near a roadway. I don't know if that has changed since the "Keep your Road Kill" law was passed a few years ago...
I know many old timers that told me they kept framing hammers or axes handy for such occasions.:eek:

Funny story along these lines...my dad tried to finish off a mule deer I had shot with a point blank headshot though the top of the skull using his .45 Glock and hollowpoint LE defense ammo. The shot didn't penetrate and just knocked the deer out. We ended up using my knife. I have the skull plate now with a .45-sized dent in it. I told him next time, load the 1st round as a FMJ or shoot from the side of the head.

:s0140:

After reading the OP post, my first thought was "if you have to change ammo to put down a wounded deer, you are using the wrong initial ammo in your carry gun".

Are you trusting your life to an inferior ammo, only to change it to put down the deer? Your initial choice of ammo is wrong if this is what you have to do.

Funny story along these lines...my dad tried to finish off a mule deer I had shot with a point blank headshot though the top of the skull using his .45 Glock and hollowpoint LE defense ammo. The shot didn't penetrate and just knocked the deer out. We ended up using my knife. I have the skull plate now with a .45-sized dent in it. I told him next time, load the 1st round as a FMJ or shoot from the side of the head.

:s0140:

Or have him use a 9mm. :D

Speaking of, I had to do it once. About 20 years ago in WA. I lived out past Buckley and came across a wounded deer that had been hit. I used my Ruger P89 and whatever 9mm ammo I was carrying at the time (don't remember, probably Hydrashoks). It was very humane.

Following with interest.

I'd hate to try for, and miss, the head and cause more suffering.

For a wounded large animal thrashing around, where a head shot is not safe or possible, what are thoughts on dispatching with one or more lung/chest shots. Maybe you want to be 15 feet back, because it's defensive, has lethal injuries but can still fight, thrashing, etc. Lungs/chest are larger target, and should end suffering in seconds. Thoughts?

Following with interest.

I'd hate to try for, and miss, the head and cause more suffering.

For a wounded large animal thrashing around, where a head shot is not safe or possible, what are thoughts on dispatching with one or more lung/chest shots. Maybe you want to be 15 feet back, because it's defensive, has lethal injuries but can still fight, thrashing, etc. Lungs/chest are larger target, and should end suffering in seconds. Thoughts?

I would say absolutely. If a head shot isn't possible then boiler room it is. Better than leaving it to suffer.

What is the "Keep your road kill law"? Does that mean if your ride gets mangled as you hit a deer/ bear, you get to keep it? Gonna have to net search it. Back in Penn, we were told not to do these mercy killings by the game commission..... screw that!

Found the Roadkill law was enacted in 2016 for Wash. Wow!

Anyone close to Tacoma kill a deer with their ride unintentionally, I will take it if you don't want it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top