JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They are definitely worth it. I wouldn't own a firearm without one. Target acquisition is much easier, and accuracy is improved. They do take some practice to get use to. Acquiring the dot from a draw may not come naturally at first but when it does its just point and shoot. Most importantly, it is much more fun IMO to shoot with a dot.

They are definitely worth it. I wouldn't own a firearm without one. Target acquisition is much easier, and accuracy is improved. They do take some practice to get use to. Acquiring the dot from a draw may not come naturally at first but when it does its just point and shoot. Most importantly, it is much more fun IMO to shoot with a dot.
Any recommendations on a RMR?

I have had experience on a sig Romeo zero, trijicon rmr and 2 holosun 507k's all of which I carried on different platforms. I prefer the holosun 507k primarily because of the reticle which is a circle with a dot in the center. It's easy for my eyes to pick up quickly. It's also been reliable. And changing the battery does not require you to remove and re-zero the dot(which isn't difficult, just one less thing to concern myself with).

There are also two sizes of red dots depending on your pistol.. normal and compact, so that should be established as well.
I would recommend going to a store and looking at the different ones they have to see what your eyes like most.

Whatever you choose I would highly recommend not buying the sig Romeo zero. It is plastic and also a waste of money.

I have had experience on a sig Romeo zero, trijicon rmr and 2 holosun 507k's all of which I carried on different platforms. I prefer the holosun 507k primarily because of the reticle which is a circle with a dot in the center. It's easy for my eyes to pick up quickly. It's also been reliable. And changing the battery does not require you to remove and re-zero the dot(which isn't difficult, just one less thing to concern myself with).
A lot of people seem to like their Holosuns, I can't bring myself to buy anything made in China, I very much go out of my why not to do so.

Last Edited:
Necessary, no, but then again, the way the shooting industry and military ultimately follow the competition world, they have become far more popular as the technology has improved.

If you are a crappy shot with iron sights, you will still be a crappy shot with a red dot though. Same way that someone with a laser still sucks if they aren't good without it.

RMR vs Open Sights. Are they really a difference maker. I'm probably way behind the curve about RMR sights. I've never shot a pistol with RMR sights so it's a curious question are they worth it.
Needed? Maybe not but once you get the hang of quickly finding that dot, you will be faster on target and that may make the difference in a life or death situation.

I bought an rmr I can't remember my original intent. It's on a FNX 45 now. Looks cool. I don't like it. I tried it on a sbr also. I had a less expensive Bushnel red dot on a mossburg got rid of that. I do have an ACOG I like different technology. Kinda sucks to spend that much to find out doesn't work for you. Hey got one for trade.

A lot of people seem to like their Holosuns, I can't bring myself to buy anything made in China, I very much go out of my why not to do so.
Damn near every electronic has components manufactured in china, from your phone to your car. It's unavoidable. It's sad the the manufacturing base was sold out to low wage countries, and while I understand and agree with the sentiment, it's futile.

I bought an rmr I can't remember my original intent. It's on a FNX 45 now. Looks cool. I don't like it. I tried it on a sbr also. I had a less expensive Bushnel red dot on a mossburg got rid of that. I do have an ACOG I like different technology. Kinda sucks to spend that much to find out doesn't work for you. Hey got one for trade.
What do you want in trade?

I also really prefer the Holosun circle dot reticle. I like the RMR2 for anything thats not a range toy. I also have both of the Vortex (Venom and Viper) and a Burris but will not purchase them again. The Burris has been reliable but both Vortex have not. Both have been in for warranty.

RMR vs Open Sights. Are they really a difference maker. I'm probably way behind the curve about RMR sights. I've never shot a pistol with RMR sights so it's a curious question are they worth it.
When my close vision started to go without corrective lenses, the use of an optic really improved things. There is a learning curve.

Having owned a VP9 with RMR, I can say that I prefer other dots over it despite it feeling quite durable. The Holosun 508t I have now is great and is made of Titanium. I would look into getting a totally enclosed emitter like the 509 or Aimpoint ACRO for durability. All that being said, I'm going back to iron sights on handguns. I shoot almost as well without the dot and not having one reduces weight and reduces internal wear of components. Also, the mounting system of a few makers leaves a lot to be desired (looking at you Glock and Walther). FN has the best handgun RDS mounting system by far.

1626964071534.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top