JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For a long time I was in that camp especially concerning optics . My position started to change as my close up vision started getting worse purely as a condition of the aging process . Before that though I was the leader of the iron sight mafia and would laugh / heckle anyone who wanted optics on a gun , irons are great until you have a problem seeing them.

With my reading / computer glasses I can see the sights perfectly and still shoot well with them . Having said that I do not need corrective vision for everything in my life and I am not going to wear glasses all the time just in case I might need to shoot a gun.
This exactly.

Who really wants to have to ask an attacker to hold up just a moment so the spectacles can be affixed? Not a good look I'm thinking. Sometimes, at the range, I shoot irons still with my bifocals or reading/computer glasses. Sometimes, if the light is really bright and thus, my pupils small, I even shoot irons by bare eye.

But I'm not inclined to hope conditions are going to be ideal on unplanned occasions.

This exactly.

Who really wants to have to ask an attacker to hold up just a moment so the spectacles can be affixed? Not a good look I'm thinking. Sometimes, at the range, I shoot irons still with my bifocals or reading/computer glasses. Sometimes, if the light is really bright and thus, my pupils small, I even shoot irons by bare eye.

But I'm not inclined to hope conditions are going to be ideal on unplanned occasions.
That is why you what to move and shoot in awkward positions in failing light while on a timer, as a small example.

That is why you what to move and shoot in awkward positions in failing light while on a timer, as a small example.

Yes. Running, climbing, crouching and so forth while shooting and doing smooth reloads/transitions.......that is how one REALLY becomes a good shooter.

Having owned a VP9 with RMR, I can say that I prefer other dots over it despite it feeling quite durable. The Holosun 508t I have now is great and is made of Titanium. I would look into getting a totally enclosed emitter like the 509 or Aimpoint ACRO for durability. All that being said, I'm going back to iron sights on handguns. I shoot almost as well without the dot and not having one reduces weight and reduces internal wear of components. Also, the mounting system of a few makers leaves a lot to be desired (looking at you Glock and Walther). FN has the best handgun RDS mounting system by far.
In regards to the best mounting system, I would encourage you to look into how Shadow Systems addressed the challenge. Not interested in arguing about different brands....Just want to point out that SS made some innovative modifications.

I suppose they are a really cool doodad to spend money on. I worry devises that narrow your focus will wind up getting you killed by causing your attention to be drawn away from your peripheral vision. Tunnel vision is not good in a life or death situation.
The defining moment that I became sold on the idea of RDO (I can clearly see it right now even though this occurred many years ago) We had been training with iron sights on our MP-5s and they worked great on both the range and in scenarios using Simunition FX rounds. I was the first on our unit to get an Aimpoint Micro. We were doing scenario training with FX rounds and I had a role playing hostage taker running across my field of view amongst several no shoot targets. I was able to track the suspect's movement while being aware of the no shoots and keep the red dot centered on the suspect.

What happens is the opposite of what you suggest. There was no tunnel vision, as you don't have to focus on the red dot, you focus on the target, or the overall scene, but the red dot is still visible.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top