JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thought it would be fun to wring out RMR's 69 gr BTHP with TAC, X-Terminator and Shooters World Precision Rifle. All were loaded with CCI No. 41 primers and Hornady brass to COAL of 2.25". Fired from a bench rest through my Stag Model 6 with its' factory 24" heavy barrel 1 in 8" twist. I tested all my loads yesterday. Temperature was warmer than forecast, around 45 degrees F. Not my best shooting, but still was interesting.
1EFC061D-0CB3-4E06-AF13-29AAF9D8CD1F.jpeg

Wish I could get the data sheet to post correctly, tried to attach the excel spread sheet, but am not very adept at tech, so wound up taking a picture of it. Smallest group was with TAC, while Shooters World Precision Rifle averaged just about MOA for all groups fired (1.04"). All TAC groups averaged 1.13", so not that far behind. X-Terminator recorded highest velocity at 2927 FPS followed by TAC at 2915 and SW Precision at 2905. All brass looked fine, no pressure signs, remember these velocities were measured from a 24" 1 in 8" twist barrel.
Still, all three powders were able to top 2900 FPS in cold weather, pretty good for a 69 gr bullet. If I had lots of money (and powder and primers), it would be fun to duplicate the test with Sierra 69 gr Match Kings to see how much smaller the groups might be. But for now I am happy with RMR's bullets at less than half the price of Sierras, delivered.
I will do some more work with SW Precision Rifle, trying some different primers, as it grouped under an inch with the max charge with a decent (for this test anyway) standard deviation. If I don't like the results, I will drop back to the most accurate load with TAC and forget the extra 50 FPS SW registered.

Anything new to report? I just got in 500, I'll be doing test loads with TAC, AR-Comp, CFE 223, and 8208 XBR. Will be shooting with my AR, it's got a RRA Varmint upper (20" SS heavy barrel), and Aero lower with Hiperfire 2 stage trigger. Haven't put a lot of rounds through this setup yet, but I know it'll shoot. Mostly just looking for an all around bullet, I don't expect match accuracy, anything around an inch will be good enough for my purposes. Will be chronographing as I shoot (Labradar), and will post my data when I can, assuming I can ever make time to get to the range :rolleyes:. Later.

Dave

Tried out different primers with the 69 gr RMR bullet with R-P cases and 24.0 gr of Shooter's World Precision Rifle powder. Shot two five shot groups with the following primers:
CCI #41. Avg 1.07"
CCI-450. Avg. .80"
S&B SR. Avg 1.12"
RP7 1/2 Avg .78"

Pretty mild load that chronographed 2760 FPS at 80 degrees. Going to test again at higher powder charge or with Ramshot TAC.

Not familiar with the Shooter's World powders, but good info. I've already loaded the 8208XBR and AR-Comp, I used Federal GM205M primers, as both are extruded powders. I'll be using CCI 450's for both the others, as they're ball powders. I know, old school thinking, but no harm either way. Max velocity is supposed to be in the ~2900-3000 FPS range from a 24" barrel, mine's a 20" Wylde, so I expect low 2800's. Not concerned with velocity, just accuracy and consistency. As I also have another upper on the way, 16" 5.56 1:7, I'm hoping for a load that'll work in both rifles, but not the end of the world if not. Looking like I might get in a range trip tomorrow, will report my results if so. Later.

Dave

So here's my contribution to the data on these bullets, assuming I can get it to load properly :rolleyes:. All groups are 5 shots at 100 yards, chronograph is a Labradar. Temps were in the mid-40's, with an intermittent erratic breeze. As I suck at reading wind, I didn't bother trying to correct for it, and I'm sure it impacted some of the groups. All groups were shot from a solid bench, rifle data is as follows:

Rock River Arms Varmint upper, 20" SS .223 Wylde, 1:8 twist, heavy barrel. Aero M4E1 lower, Hiperfire 2 stage trigger. All brass was once fired Magtech 5.56 NATO, CFE 223 and TAC used CCI 450 primers, AR-Comp used Federal GM205M primers. All loads were thrown with a FA Intellidropper and double checked with an RCBS balance beam, yes, I'm anal about my test loads :D. Time to see if I can get this to load.

Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 11.54.01 PM.png
Couple of things to add. It feels like these bullets want to shoot better than they do. I noticed that a lot of them have stuff in the hollow point, I'm thinking a bath in my wet tumbler might dislodge it and improve the results. I think it's also worth noting that the trend for pretty much all charges with all powders shot so far is nearly linear, the velocity increase from one charge to the next if very consistent. Which means no node to speak of, so I'm also wondering if they want/need more velocity. My load data for TAC and CFE 223 was from the online Hodgdon site, AR-Comp was from Alliant, and all were based on the Hornady 68 gr. HPBT Match bullet. I've since realized that that's a VERY different bullet, this one is much closer to the Sierra 69 gr. HPBT. That said, most of the load data I have or found online is pretty similar, with the exception of Lyman, they have a much higher max charge. I saw no pressure signs with any of the above, although my rifle was behaving like it was overgassed for all but the heaviest loads, ejection was between 1:00 and 2:00. This trend continued when I switched to my Grendel upper, 90 gr. TNT's were the same, but 130 gr. ELD-M's were back to 3-4:00. I still have a couple more batches, one with 8208 XBR and one with H335 that I haven't shot yet, will update this when I get to them. Hope this is helpful, later.

Dave

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads