JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
RL15 under 168gr pill 308win 20in barrel AR10 lc brass cci #200 primers. I chrono'd this pass weekend, here are the results:

44 grains avg. 2583 fps
44.5 grains avg. 2587 fps

Do I stop? or keep going? Trying to get atleast 2600fps but it seems like I peaked out? First time using this powder.

I've used RL15 in the 375 Ruger and the 7mm-o8. With the 375 I got what I wanted before having the results you did. With the 7mm-08, I didn't experiment enough to say.
However, I use RL22 in the 30-06 and have stumbled across the same issue you have. Without knowing anything else, I'd say that you are where you "need to be" at 44 grains and the other half grain is worthless. Without knowing what the loading manuals say (for what it's worth) I'd say that you are just about ready to go above what's regarded as safe. My hunch is that if you bump the charge a half or even a grain more, you'll see a bigger jump in velocity, but are likely on the wrong side of max. At that point pressures start to rise greatly.
In my rifle I see it "hit the wall" of fps like you did right at book max and one grain over, then it bumps up again to a 50 or 75fps gain per grain. I know at this point that I'm way over what the book is calling safe, but can't see a visible, or mechanical sign (sticky bolt lift). Time to stop.

I've used RL15 in the 375 Ruger and the 7mm-o8. With the 375 I got what I wanted before having the results you did. With the 7mm-08, I didn't experiment enough to say.
However, I use RL22 in the 30-06 and have stumbled across the same issue you have. Without knowing anything else, I'd say that you are where you "need to be" at 44 grains and the other half grain is worthless. Without knowing what the loading manuals say (for what it's worth) I'd say that you are just about ready to go above what's regarded as safe. My hunch is that if you bump the charge a half or even a grain more, you'll see a bigger jump in velocity, but are likely on the wrong side of max. At that point pressures start to rise greatly.
In my rifle I see it "hit the wall" of fps like you did right at book max and one grain over, then it bumps up again to a 50 or 75fps gain per grain. I know at this point that I'm way over what the book is calling safe, but can't see a visible, or mechanical sign (sticky bolt lift). Time to stop.

I've read that best accuracy is attained just below max loadings. So maybe I won't chance it.

I've never loaded with RL15, what do the books max out for this cartridge?

If those values were Varget, you would be near max charge weight.

Hornady 7th ed. max 44.3 gr 2600 fps
Lyman 49th ed. max 44.8 gr 2724 fps

My usual powder is Varget, but you know how that goes, so I was trying out another brand.

From what you say the manuals say, I'd say you're there.
I understand pushing for velocity, I do the same. However I've found that in my gun best accuracy is usually a grain or so lower.
The loading manual probably also used a barrel longer than 20".

From what you say the manuals say, I'd say you're there.
I understand pushing for velocity, I do the same. However I've found that in my gun best accuracy is usually a grain or so lower.
The loading manual probably also used a barrel longer than 20".

This.

Totally slipped my mind:oops:

So far my best load in my 24" barrel Savage 10T has been 42.5 gr of IMR-4064 with a 168 gr HPBT. It only chronos around 2550 fps, but shoots 4 shots around half MOA. I have some other powders to try, but accuracy is my primary goal and so far the IMR-4064 load is looking like the one.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top