JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As much as I can respect the sentiments of those who dislike the AK-47 because it was used by our enemies, I have to resort back to the old adage:
"Guns don't kill People, People kill People".

The fact that the whackjob in Colorado who shot up a movie theater used an AR-15 isn't going to stop me from buying one. Quite the contrary, it means I want to have that weapon and be more proficient with it than that guy.

R.I.P

2013-12-25%2000.13.17_zpsjolmfaej.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The weapon is an inanimate object and works very well. The man was a communist, part of a system that was and is dedicated to destroying our way of life. The average citizen in his home country was not allowed to own one of these either. We take so much for granted and think that our way of life will always be here for us but everyday there are people planning to make it so that we can't own these and others like it. We should let this weapon remind us that all over the world there are people that are oppressed by it and that it is up to us to not let it happen here. The man we can honor as a successful designer/engineer but a great man I don't believe he was.

Someone pointed out to a friend of mine years ago how ineffective the 7.62x39 round was.
He replied: "When the VC were firing at me I never gave that a second thought."
And they work every time (mud water, dirt, grime) as far as I know.

Sheldon
Absolutely true! We could only load 17 rounds in our mags, in order to aid feed-ability, and they jammed constantly from powder fouling the bolt. Not exactly confidence inspiring. I personally saw one of my shipmates toss an AK on the sand, kick sand over it until it was covered, dig it up, shake it and fire a full mag.

The bottleneck shaped case of the 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 greatly eases extraction in a dirty or corroded chamber. A subtle but very effective way to increase reliability in a battle weapon that might see hard use and irregular cleaning. The AR is a 1st World weapon requiring 1st World logistical support. The AK is a perfect 3rd World weapon where a maintenance kit may only consist of used motor oil and a knotted shoestring.

Keith

The bottleneck shaped case of the 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 greatly eases extraction in a dirty or corroded chamber. A subtle but very effective way to increase reliability in a battle weapon that might see hard use and irregular cleaning. The AR is a 1st World weapon requiring 1st World logistical support. The AK is a perfect 3rd World weapon where a maintenance kit may only consist of used motor oil and a knotted shoestring.

Keith
You forgot add this to the AK field kit.

schist-rock-stone-13558963.jpg :s0155:

schist-rock-stone-13558963.jpg

The man was a communist, part of a system that was and is dedicated to destroying our way of life...

In his day you couldn't be anything if you were not a party member, it was just the reality of the time. If you wanted a worthwhile profession, an actual career rather than simply a job... in just about any field... party membership was a must. As a result, one joined whether or not they had any ardent beliefs regarding communism. Those are the circumstances into which he was born, and it is foolish at best to blame an individual for that.

In any case, I think you fail to understand that the Soviets didn't see themselves as "the enemy" and as such Mr. Kalashnikov was merely doing his duty, and serving his country. Again, it is an exercise in foolishness to try to assign any blame for that.

We should let this weapon remind us that all over the world there are people that are oppressed by it.

To be as charitable as humanly possibly, what a laughably ludicrous sentiment. No one, anywhere, ever has been oppressed by an AK, nor any other weapon for that matter. People oppress people, guns do not. At first you correctly say the AK is merely an inanimate object, but then you go own to blame oppression on the gun and the man who designed it, rather like the anti-gun folks do.

Absolutely true! We could only load 17 rounds in our mags, in order to aid feed-ability, and they jammed constantly from powder fouling the bolt. Not exactly confidence inspiring. I personally saw one of my shipmates toss an AK on the sand, kick sand over it until it was covered, dig it up, shake it and fire a full mag.

There was a video out where they showed them actually digging up a weapons stash in Africa, they uncovered these AK's several feet down in sandy, type dirt. The weapons had been covered up for years. One of the guys decided to see if they would shoot. He shook the weapon out, took a can of oil, drenched the AK in oil, they made sure the barrel was clear. Then they shoved a filthy AK mag in and let it rip. It fired almost without any problems. LOT"S of sparks, but, it shot. It was a rusted up cruddy looking thing, but, worked.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top