JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sadly, we have lost another giant in the firearms industry. Mr. Dillon will be sorely missed

"It is with heavy hearts that we announce the passing of Mike Dillon of Scottsdale, Arizona. Mike was born on January 2, 1935 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and left us on the morning of November 7th, 2016. He leaves behind a loving and large family including wife, Carol; sons: Stephen and Christopher; daughter, Stephanie; grandchildren: Wyatt, Ethan, Nellie, George, Travis, Sara, Jack, Michael and John; sister, Patricia; daughter-in-law, Kimmie. Mike was preceded in death by his father, Clarence John Dillon and mother, Nell Gregory Fletcher. Mike's legacy has touched the lives of countless people worldwide. He revolutionized the ammunition reloading industry and made it what it is today. Mike also redesigned and manufactured the M134 Mini Gun that is now in service in the United States and foreign military forces. As a passionate aviator, he flew for TWA as a 2nd officer for 13 years and later made a name for himself as a writer/photographer for Air Progress Magazine. He is recognized by some as being the one who started the warbird restoration movement in the 1960's with his P-40 Warhawk. His forever love of flying continued with the restoration of a TT-1 Pinto jet, 3 T-34A military trainers and a UH-1H Huey helicopter.

Mike's dedication to his family, his customers, and this country was exemplary. We will never forget the impact that he has had on us all. We take comfort knowing he is flying in the blue skies of heaven above. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made in Mike's memory to: -National Rifle Association NRA | Home (Handloading Education Endowment and Military and Veterans' Affairs Endowment) - Help End Alzheimer's

*Published in The Arizona Republic on Nov. 13, 2016

During the coming months we will be adding an archive of Mike's articles, videos, and photographs to this site. Just follow our Facebook page, we'll post the content there when we upload it here, and you will be able to stay abreast of each addition as we incorporate it into the site."

In Memoriam: Mike Dillon, Founder of Dillon Precision « Daily Bulletin

Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders

Dillon Aero - Home - DillonAero

A story about Mike Dillon from the forum I learned of his passing:

"I knew him and his son Chris well. He gave my dad a ride in a MD500 for his 60th birthday when my company McDonell Douglas would not(they built the MD500) even though I offer to pay for the ride

mike did not even know me, but I called and he siad its $650/ hr and I said no probelm.

A few day later we took the ride north of Scottsdale looked a indian ruins in cliffs, chased coyotes and flew 10 feet off of a river. Dad flew right seat and actually got to fly.

He had tears in his eyes during the flight.

In the end, I went into the hanger check book in hand with the pilot and said who do i make out the check to.

The pilot loked at me and smiled and said "Mr Dillion said Happy Birthday to you dad, the ride is on him"

Later in life when I was in the armor business we did a lot of work with them and told Mr Dillion everytime I saw him thanks for my dads gift."

This makes me want to go buy a 650 now

I bought my RL 550B 30 years ago and it's still going strong. I updated it to the latest configuration a few years ago and they threw in several parts for free. Companies that build products so well and take care of their customers like that have character that starts at the top - another testimony to Mr. Dillon.

I started reloading in the late 1970's on an RCBS Rockchucker. Man that was slow! In the early 1980's I bought a Dillon RL 450. What a revolution! When the RL 550 came out I got one right away and many thousands of rounds later it is still going strong. When I learned that Mike Dillon was suffering from the scourge of Alzheimer's Disease I was deeply saddened. My father died with that cursed condition. Mike is free now from his earthly bonds to fly higher than he ever thought possible. He made a difference. Godspeed to you Mike Dillon. Your name and contributions will live on.

Last Edited:
We are very fortunate to have been able to use the products he and his company have produced. He was certainly an innovator and developed reliable equipment. I hope the company continues to be privately owned.

Question:
What happens to the company, its good products, and its great customer service now??????

Sheldon

It's family owned, and considering Mr. Dillon's age was likely already being run by his children, so I'm hoping it will continue as before.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top