JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Until his death on August 10th, 2016, Jim Stiles was the last surviving founding member of the Washington Arms Collectors (WAC) organization. Unbeknownst to me at the time, I had the distinct privilege of participating in the rendering of honors for this remarkable man.
I didn't know of this man, his status or his passing until I was contacted by his grandson Tyler days after his grandfather's committal service on September 23rd, at the Tahoma National Cemetery in Kent, Washington.
AS some of you that know me well enough are aware, I am the team leader for the Monroe Correctional Complex (MCC) Honor Guard. My team and I report to the Tahoma National Cemetery in Kent once a month to render our services as the rifle team providing three volley salutes in honor of the service of deceased U.S. veterans being laid to rest by their families. It is always a very somber occasion. Service members from the respective branch that the deceased served with will always present the next of kin with the folded U.S. National flag. I then present the next of kin with three brass casings from our firing detail as a symbol of the three volleys that we fire in honor of the deceased. We typically conduct anywhere from 10-12 of these committals on the days when we volunteer our services. I take each and every one of them very seriously and am sincere when I offer the family members the three brass casings along with my condolences for the loss of loved ones.
A few days ago, I replied to this unexpected e-mail:
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 3:07 AM
To: XXXXXXX, Tyler (DOC); XXXXXXXX, Michael R. (DOC)
Cc: XXXXXX, Greg K. (DOC)
Subject: RE: Question regarding Honor Guard

Tyler,
Thank you for your kind words. I am both humbled and inspired by what you have written, as I am sure that my team will be as well, when I share this with them. It is truly an honor for myself and my team to be able to serve the community, the veterans and their families in this capacity. The brave men and women that we lay to rest at the Tahoma National Cemetery deserve all the honors and respect that we can bestow upon them for their selfless bravery and courageous service to our country. We will never forget their sacrifices.
Your grandfather sounds like he was a remarkable man, somebody I would have been to glad to have known. Judging from your description, I believe we would have had a lot in common. I am very familiar with the Washington Arms Collectors organization as I too am a very vocal advocate for our 2nd amendment rights. I served four years as an Infantryman in the US Army and am now an avid gun enthusiast that spends every available moment building AR rifles and shooting in my spare time. Yes, it would have been an honor to have met your grandfather.
I feel privileged that I and the MCC Honor Guard were afforded the opportunity to render honors to a man that served this country, and valued the ideals that this country was built upon as much as your grandfather did. So in closing, please let me thank you for letting us be a part of the ceremony that recognized the greatness of this country that your grandfather represented and know that we too are saddened by his loss.
Sincerely,

Ronald X. XXXX
Shift Lieutenant Watch 1
Special Offender Unit
360-XXX-XXXX
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 9:12 AM
To: XXXXXX, Greg K. (DOC)

Thanks Greg, ya know, I am a sentimental person, however, seeing the Guard Commanders posture and seriousness immediately reminded me of the men that served in my grandpa's generation, and the sacrifices they made. I immediately determined to not shed a tear, but rather stand tall and proud so my family and my grandfather's friends could see he left behind a pillar of strength just like him. Weeping at his funeral was not an option for me.
Thank you
Tyler J. XXXXXXX
Database Services
State of Washington (Department of Corrections)
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 9:07 AM
To: XXXXXXX, Tyler (DOC)

Yes Lt. XXXX is the Honor Guard Team Leader. He is assigned to Graveyard shift and I am not sure what his days off are. He would be honored to hear about your grandfather.
I am sorry for your loss, and thank you and your family for his service. If I can help in any way, let me know.

Greg K. XXXXXX, Chief of Emergency Operations
Washington State Department of Corrections
P.O. Box XXXXX
Olympia WA 98504
360-725-XXXX Office
360-239-XXXX Cell
HQ's Emergency Operations Center
Conference call phone 360-XXX-XXXX
Private phone 360-XXX-XXXX
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 9:04 AM
To: XXXXXX, Greg K. (DOC)

Okay, I sent Lt. XXXX an e-mail yesterday, haven't heard back yet, however, do you know if Ronald XXXX is the Guard Commander? The reason I want to talk with these gentleman is to tell them about the man they honored. He was the last founding member of the Washington Arms Collectors. A petitioner of gun rights, gunsmith, better than a marksman, and the smell of the burnt gun powder coming through the memorial after the gun salute would have made him feel honored.
He was my grandfather and has been the only father figure I have known all my life. I'm proud of him and proud to be his grandson.
Sincerely,
Tyler J. XXXXXXX
Database Services
State of Washington (Department of Corrections)

FB_IMG_1479362745855.jpg FB_IMG_1479360997031.jpg
His grandson sent me this link to an interview of his grandfather, Jim Stiles when he was 99 years old. Imagine the things he'd seen in his lifetime.
Here is a great photo of Jim Stiles when he was younger.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top