JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been shooting for 30+ years, have several red dot type (eotech, aimpoint, vortex, etc.) optics. (1) Scope mounting and (2) bolt action rifle setup is all new to me.

On my 20" AR-10/LR308 I used an Aero cantilever to mount my Leupold. Super happy with the mount. Just purchased a Tikka CTR (20" stainless) and a Viper PST II FFP 5-25 that needs to be mounted on said rifle.

Is a cantilever type mount acceptable for this type of rifle or are rings preferred? Or is it just a preference type deal?

Thanks for any input!

Mostly a cost/preference thing! Cantilever mounts kind of look funny on a bolt action and tend to mount optics higher! Rings generally can allow lower mounting, and are the more traditional method of mounting, but are no better or worse! In the Mil, we used one piece mounts that gave us a more robust and secure mounting system, which also took the alignment out of the equation, and height and weight wasn't an issue!
Bottom line is, it's all up to you, there is no one system better then the next in what your looking for!

Me and @11Charlie have basically the same Tikka CTR's with Badger Ordinance mounts....

Mine is a 20 MOA mount on the factory 0 MOA rail.
033A4E47-35BD-4D93-A010-30DDCC997F6E.jpeg

@11Charlie 's has a 0 MOA mount on a 20 MOA rail.
01E304F1-030A-493F-AAF8-4A33CEDF7F18.jpeg

I am running Big Old 30 mm Rings on my Tikka SuperVarmint, with a zero Moa integral rail milled into the receiver! No chance of shift or alignment issues! Sure wish they would import these Tikka's again! :(

Great input, thanks! I will go with a 1 piece for now. I slightly prefer the robust, modular qualities. Maybe later I will swap out for a riser. I don't see lack of a riser hindering my skills at this time.

I use seekins rings on all my tikkas and never had an issue.
If you are looking for the best 1 piece mount then go with a Spuhr isms mount.
If you go with a cantilevered mount you most likely will run into eye relief issues and also it would just look weird.

That's just insane! Couple hundred at most, and it better be the shiznit at that! Yes, I admit to having a mount that cost almost $500, but then it's also on a rifle worthy of it, and it mounts a scope equally worthy!
Some times, the best does cost big, but you have to ask is it really worth it, and even more important, am I good enough to actually see the benefits? Only you can answer that! :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top