Gun Deals
Buster Beaver Cerakote
Sporting Systems
Landhawk Arms
Oregon Arms & Ammunition
Low Price Guns
Southwest Firearms Forum
Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Rings vs Cantilever

Reactions
Been shooting for 30+ years, have several red dot type (eotech, aimpoint, vortex, etc.) optics. (1) Scope mounting and (2) bolt action rifle setup is all new to me.

On my 20” AR-10/LR308 I used an Aero cantilever to mount my Leupold. Super happy with the mount. Just purchased a Tikka CTR (20” stainless) and a Viper PST II FFP 5-25 that needs to be mounted on said rifle.

Is a cantilever type mount acceptable for this type of rifle or are rings preferred? Or is it just a preference type deal?

Thanks for any input!

Ura-Ki

Reactions
  • Air Force
  • Fight For Your Right
Mostly a cost/preference thing! Cantilever mounts kind of look funny on a bolt action and tend to mount optics higher! Rings generally can allow lower mounting, and are the more traditional method of mounting, but are no better or worse! In the Mil, we used one piece mounts that gave us a more robust and secure mounting system, which also took the alignment out of the equation, and height and weight wasn't an issue!
Bottom line is, it's all up to you, there is no one system better then the next in what your looking for!

Ura-Ki

Reactions
  • Air Force
  • Fight For Your Right
I am running Big Old 30 mm Rings on my Tikka SuperVarmint, with a zero Moa integral rail milled into the receiver! No chance of shift or alignment issues! Sure wish they would import these Tikka's again! :(

OP
WildwoodEnt
Reactions
Great input, thanks! I will go with a 1 piece for now. I slightly prefer the robust, modular qualities. Maybe later I will swap out for a riser. I don’t see lack of a riser hindering my skills at this time.

Reactions
I use seekins rings on all my tikkas and never had an issue.
If you are looking for the best 1 piece mount then go with a Spuhr isms mount.
If you go with a cantilevered mount you most likely will run into eye relief issues and also it would just look weird.

Ura-Ki

Reactions
  • Air Force
  • Fight For Your Right
That's just insane! Couple hundred at most, and it better be the shiznit at that! Yes, I admit to having a mount that cost almost $500, but then it's also on a rifle worthy of it, and it mounts a scope equally worthy!
Some times, the best does cost big, but you have to ask is it really worth it, and even more important, am I good enough to actually see the benefits? Only you can answer that! :)

OP
WildwoodEnt
Reactions
Ended up ordering a Warne Skyline

UPCOMING EVENTS

NRA Pistol marksmanship Simulator Training
Defensive Arts Center
4620 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy C2, Portland, OR 97221, USA
.22 Rimfire Challenge
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Bill Blowers - Tap-Rack Tactical Tac - Pistol
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun - Pistol April 4th
Cerberus Training Group
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun - Rifle April 5th
Cerberus Training Group

LATEST REVIEWS

• Sunset Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    My wife went into to pickup a firearm she bought from a online retailer and shipped to sunset firearms. She had a great experience and had a...
    • NWArborist
  • Independence Indoor Shooting
    5.00 star(s)
    I've bought one firearm and many other random items at IIS. The gun was priced really well, and was the best price I could find the area. My...
    • TDH
  • Stockpile Defense, LLC
    5.00 star(s)
    I've bought a few lowers here, and many other AR parts. They have a really nice selection of guns and parts, not just AR. They are willing to...
    • TDH
  • Gun & Boot & Gear - Astoria
    5.00 star(s)
    Good bunch of guys! Always treated me well, and in some cases better then expected. Highly recommend swinging by and talking with Andrew about any...
    • jblake00
  • Supporting Vendor Oregon Rifleworks
    5.00 star(s)
    Seen it from the highway a few times, so made the effort to go in yesterday lunchtime- What an awesome store ! Big, bight, well laid out, with a...
    • asiparks

SUPPORT NORTHWEST FIREARMS