JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
.22 WMR. Only because I have a 77/22 WMR stainless with the laminate stock. It will outshoot me all day long. Both calibers are capable for taking small game. The .17 will stay flatter for another 100 or so yards.

What's not to like?

FullSizeRender (11).jpg

The .22 Mag for me, NAA, PMR-30, S&W J Frame seven shooter 351 PD, Heritage Rough Rider, and a Henry Lever Rifle.

If I were shooting pests like ground squirrels or what have you, I would look hard at a 17, but I don't do that anymore.

I really never found the need for either; at least partly because of cost vs 22LR but also I like hand loading. I'm all about the 22LR of course and have an early 10/22 heavy barrel that's deadly on rock chucks out to 100 yards.

For added performance in a .22 caliber I've always wanted to try the .22 Hornet and .221 Fireball.

Last Edited:
We have a serious problem with praire dogs where I live, so any rifle is going to get quite a work out, for us, it's mainly .22LR or .223/5.56. The Win Mag and other rim fires are super neat, but the cost is a serious downer when you may see 400 plus shots a weekend, that adds up quick, what's worse is a lot of older cartridges are getting hard to find and super expensive, which means reloading if you want to use them. My all time fave is still the .222 in a Remington 40X with a customer Hart barrel back when the old man actually made good barrels. We also end up shootin a LOT of .243 and the other mid size chambering, so they all get a work out, and it's fun to practice the ultra long range shooting that we have, it's not uncommon to see 700 yards or more on my lower stretch, that's super fun and makes you work for it. It's also not uncommon to have a mid day wind of 20 to 25 miles per hour a cross the lanes, and that is some serious wind for a 55 gr pill!:) sadly, I don't have a .22 magnum rifle any longer! Been seriously thinking on a new Savage Mk-2, might fill that hole nicely:D

I have a Ruger Single-Six with a .22 WMR cylinder. I mostly used it when night hunting years ago. I now have a Savage 93L in .22 WMR with a Leopold 2x7x28 scope. I don't use it much but it is a great nutria rifle. The 30 grain Hornady shoot very well and 100 yard hits are solid. I think the .17 is a good choice for a first dedicated varmint rifle for those who don't reload. The .223 remains to be the workhorse for prariedogs and rock chucks. The .22 WMR is the most versatile choice in rimfires. An old friend in Montana loves his .17 for mountain grouse shooting as it is head shot capable.

.17HMR. Shoots flatter, hits harder, and is typically more accurate, especially if calm, wind-wise. I suppose an argument could be made if favor of the .22 mag for larger critters, but if larger critters are on the menu, the .223 Rem is a far better option. I like the .17HMR for ground squirrels in populated areas where noise is a concern. .22 long rifle has too many crawl offs, where the .17 HMR can sometimes even launch them!

Interesting split on answers... I thought the .17 would be the general fav.

I have a single six in 22wmr (and the 22lr ciylinder also) and I love it. But the only reason I got it is because my dad had the single six in 17hmr. If someone told me what they did at the range is what I have done with that 17 hmr, I wouldn't believe them. It is one Accurate little gun.

My dad is thinking about getting rid of his, and I told him I would gladly buy it from him to add to my safe, right by it's fraternal twin.

I greatly appreciate the responses. I intentionally kept my original post vague as I wanted to stir the pot a little. I will say I'm impressed as all the posts where based of actual experience of use vs hersay. That happens so little these days.
Now to specifics. I have several rifles in 22lr and I'm looking for a rimfire that will push out and perform a little better of ground squirrels. From most of the posts it sounds like either one will work well for that. I guess I will look and see what kind of deal I can get on a rifle.
Thank Everyone

I greatly appreciate the responses. I intentionally kept my original post vague as I wanted to stir the pot a little. I will say I'm impressed as all the posts where based of actual experience of use vs hersay. That happens so little these days.
Now to specifics. I have several rifles in 22lr and I'm looking for a rimfire that will push out and perform a little better of ground squirrels. From most of the posts it sounds like either one will work well for that. I guess I will look and see what kind of deal I can get on a rifle.
Thank Everyone
Shooting ground squirrels... If I didn't already have another firearm in 22WMR, My choice would be .17HMR, for the simple reason of it being a flatter shooter and the bullet size isn't a concern. My .02

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top