JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a cheap rimfire scope (Simmons .22 Mag scope worth around $50) that's on a Ruger American 22LR rifle. Will using this on an AR-15 (.223/5.56) ruin the scope due to the much greater explosive shock recoil? I just want to use it for 50-100 yards shooting. If not, what cheapest scope would you recommend for an AR? And by cheap, I really mean cheap. (Preferably less than $100 for no more than 100 yards of shooting at a range) Thanks in advance for your answers.

Might last for a while, and might fail early on hard to say.

I bought a Nikon Bushmaster 3X9 last year for $97 at Bi-Mart and it is probably the best 'cheap' scope I have ever owned.

Maybe you can find one one clearance somewhere or maybe online considering Nikon is out of the scope biz.

If you don't care I would go for it. I have seen many ultra cheap optics made for rimfire put on larger PCC's and AR's for years. Most seem to not care. If it does fail what are you out? If you have the cash to get a better optic now, then of course get one. If not? Why not shoot what you have. If it does fail, well you are out little. You could buy another on places like Ebay.

Primary Arms makes a excellent inexpensive scope...
They have several models found at $100 - $200 dollar mark , which I know is above your stated price point...But it is difficult to find a decent optic at less than $100.
Andy

First and foremost, as always, what is the purpose? 50 to 100 yards, ok. Are you planning on shooting from the bench? Varmint hunting? 3-gun competition? Home def?

In general, optics and mounts are never something to go cheap on. This is the piece of the rifle system that, if it is the cause of inaccurate shooting, is the hardest to identify and fix. Quality optics are never regretted.

That said, you don't need to break the bank account either. Look at the Leupold Mk AR line; I have one of the 1.5-4x models with a LaRue mount on my PSA carbine and like it very much.

But, if you need an inexpensive scope to get you by, I have an off brand one I'll sell you for $25 or maybe trade. It's a 3-9x as I recall. PM me and I'll send you a picture.

I've done Tasco, but you will find the one you have lacking a lot.

They aren't made well and the constant back and forth will knock it out of alignment. A cheap set of irons is better than that scope.

proper irons are great out to quite a few yards if you know how to use them. They are also lightweight and are hard to knock out of alignment once dialed in.

Screen Shot 2019-11-28 at 7.16.45 PM.png

I have a set if interested. Let me know. we can work something out pretty reasonable, I don't use them anymore I found a nice Vortex Spitfire that suits me better.

I think I may take up one of the offers here. Butt before that, what do you think about this: it had excellent reviews.

Pinty Rifle Scope 3-9x32 Rangefinder Illuminated Reflex Sight 4 Reticle Green Dot Laser Sight Amazon.com : Pinty Rifle Scope 3-9x32 Rangefinder Illuminated Reflex Sight 4 Reticle Green Dot Laser Sight : Sports & Outdoors

That looks asinine. I'd personally be embarrassed to have that mess mounted on anything I own. Sorry, but you asked.

And IMO save your nickels and buy something of reasonable quality. A name brand with a warranty at least.

Last Edited:
In the interest of full disclosure, I run almost everything with iron sights, so no expert on glass. That said, from my experience over the decades, you really get what you pay for with scopes. Buy quality and you'll be happy for years; buy el cheapo and you'll be almost instantly disappointed. Godspeed. :s0155:

In the interest of full disclosure, I run almost everything with iron sights, so no expert on glass. That said, from my experience over the decades, you really get what you pay for with scopes. Buy quality and you'll be happy for years; buy el cheapo and you'll be almost instantly disappointed. Godspeed. :s0155:
So true! Somebody well versed in irons is somebody I don't want to meet on the other end when my scope fogs up.

I'm generally an iron sight guy also, but lately I'm realizing my eyes are quite what they used to be. I'm finding it harder to acquire targets that aren't in contrasting color with the background. A low power scope makes a difference.

I'm generally an iron sight guy also, but lately I'm realizing my eyes are quite what they used to be. I'm finding it harder to acquire targets that aren't in contrasting color with the background. A low power scope makes a difference.

Understandable, friend. I've noticed recently my optical dexterity is not what it was before. I go to eye doctor a little less than a month ago for annual check up and he explain to me this is common with aging. Oh well, life is nothing but changes, and one must roll with each phase, and find the unique joy in each.

And I'm most certainly not opposed to scopes; just my shooting experience has been mainly with irons. (shrug) I will find a way. Well wishes on this day of thanksgiving. :s0155:

Simmons actually makes a pretty decent scope at a budget price. They have a very solid cross-hair mechanism that takes a lot of recoils. I don't know about yours as yours was designed for a .22 or maybe its marketing point to say it's for .22. A lot of people will say you need to spend a bunch of money but I put a couple of thousand rds on a Simmons pro hunter scope on an ar15 and it has worked very well.

Naturally if you spend more you will get brighter glass and more durable materials but for the money its pretty good.

I think I may take up one of the offers here. Butt before that, what do you think about this: it had excellent reviews.

Pinty Rifle Scope 3-9x32 Rangefinder Illuminated Reflex Sight 4 Reticle Green Dot Laser Sight Amazon.com : Pinty Rifle Scope 3-9x32 Rangefinder Illuminated Reflex Sight 4 Reticle Green Dot Laser Sight : Sports & Outdoors

There is so much "going on" with that scope / red dot / laser pointer / ??? contraption that at a sales price of $71 there can be nothing of quality there. Material cost usually run 15 - 25% in manufactured items, so do the math from there!

I'm in the "you can't spend too much on optics" camp. I learned the hard way with the spotting scope I used for high power rifle competition. I finally upgraded to a decent Kowa and still to this day, 20+ years later, every time I use it I cringe a bit realizing how much I suffered with the poor glass. Oh by the way, note that the quality glass still performs after two decades! Buy quality and cry once. Buy poor quality and cry on every use.

So, you might pay your $100 and then have to buy again very soon when what you purchase fails. It would be better to spend the $200 now and be happy than $100 now, $100 later and still have crappy glass.

Having said this, I agree with the other posts here ... if you really need to stay in that price range shop hard the used scope market. Leupold, for instanced honors their lifetime warrantee for whoever owns the scope, you don't need to be the original purchaser. Find a name brand used scope and get much more value for you hard-earned cash.

I hope this helps.

Oh yeah, forgot a main point:

I'd leave the rimfire scope on the rimfire. It may, as stated work, but most likely will suffer used on even a .223. So instead of breaking this scope and having two rifles without optics, keep the rimfire scope on the rimfire and shop hard for the best quality glass you can get for your AR. Remember, quality glass will last and can later be moved to another rifle. Again, I hope this is helpful! Keep us posted.

Usually the only difference between a rimfire scope and a conventional scope is that the parralax for the rimfire scope is set at 50 yards, as opposed to 100 yards for a normal one. Ive had a Nikon Prostaff rimfire 3-9x40 on an plinking AR that never goes out past 100 yards, and have had zero issues with it shifting zero, or rattling apart. Some Simmons scopes are pretty tough, but glass clarity is not as good as a higher quality optic. YMMV Try your scope out, if it suits your needs, then use it till you can afford a better one. P.S. Please dont put that mall ninja scope on a nice rifle. :eek:

I'd either throw the rimfire scope on and start saving for a decent dedicated scope, or just run irons and start saving for a decent scope. I certainly wouldn't waste my money on that ridiculous contraption that was linked.:s0002:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top