JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm a little illiterate when it comes to scope technology. I regularly shoot at our indoor 50(foot) range and have been less than impressed with several scopes. The crosshairs are blurry at that close of range. Is there a scope that has fine crosshairs, can be used at 50 feet as well as out to 200 yards? Or are my options to set up two different rifles?

To clarify, by illiterate, I mean not sure what's best like FFP and SFP, etc. I have lots of scopes but normally just purchase them by power range.

It sounds like you could use an adjustable objective scope.

The adjustable objective allows focusing the scope to be free of parallax at various distances. Scopes without this feature are set at the factory to be parallax free at one particular distance.

This will allow you to keep your crosshairs in focus at different ranges.

It sounds like you could use an adjustable objective scope.

The adjustable objective allows focusing the scope to be free of parallax at various distances. Scopes without this feature are set at the factory to be parallax free at one particular distance.

This will allow you to keep your crosshairs in focus at different ranges.
I guess my question is, will an AO scope focus down to 50 feet as well as 200 yards? It that even possible? Plus find one with fine crosshairs, don't want any BDC or anything like that.

I guess my question is, will an AO scope focus down to 50 feet as well as 200 yards? It that even possible? Plus find one with fine crosshairs, don't want any BDC or anything like that.
I run a Simmons 3X9 22mag scope with adjustable objective on my 10\22 rat rifle... and yes, it will focus up or down to any range one can effectively shoot a 22.

Yes. Inexpensive to high priced scopes have parallax adjustments usually starting at 50 yards and or less in some 22lr scopes to infinite, usually with common intervals in between.

Yes. Inexpensive to high priced scopes have parallax adjustments usually starting at 50 yards and or less in some 22lr scopes to infinite, usually with common intervals in between.
I'm specifically looking for something to get down to 50 feet. Not looking for cheap or inexpensive just one that will do both jobs, near and far if possible. I already bring too many rifle cases when going shooting and if I can consolidate a couple rimfires I'd be happy!

I think this one hits all your wants with the v-plex reticle.

Excellent! It even states the parallax goes down to 10 yards/30 feet! That's what I was looking for but most manufacturers don't state how far down the parallax goes. Thank you, I'm off to find one of these to look through.

I'm a little illiterate when it comes to scope technology. I regularly shoot at our indoor 50(foot) range and have been less than impressed with several scopes. The crosshairs are blurry at that close of range. Is there a scope that has fine crosshairs, can be used at 50 feet as well as out to 200 yards? Or are my options to set up two different rifles?
I would get the bug buster 3-9x. I think minimum focus is 3 yards or maybe less. Mine has been drop dead reliable and has never lost zero after about 13 years of constant use on 22lr, airguns (including springers which have a violent front and back recoil which beats the crap out of scopes), and occasionally ARs. Cheapest I have seen them on sale is $57.

I'm specifically looking for something to get down to 50 feet. Not looking for cheap or inexpensive just one that will do both jobs, near and far if possible. I already bring too many rifle cases when going shooting and if I can consolidate a couple rimfires I'd be happy!
I'll look at my bushnell in my 10/22. I'm pretty sure it has a 10 yard parallax starting position. I don't think it is made anymore though. It is an AR22 model. It has bucket drop marked in the reticle but its clear and not cluttered.

Edit: Bushnell doesn't make it anymore, but if you find one used I'd say scratch it. Great scope.

B529F107-788A-4AFC-B72F-FC84B25C06B2.jpeg E27F81AC-01A8-4D66-9ABE-30F87BFC539C.jpeg 9813EECE-A900-4CD8-AA87-DCB1AF1E6C34.jpeg

Last Edited:
Rimfire specific scopes have 60-75y parallax.

My big optics with adjustable parallax only go down to 50y. Under 50 gets fuzzy.

Leupold makes a specific range of scopes with the designation of EFR for extended focus range, I believe they go down to 10ft or maybe it is 10 yards. Been a while since I have looked at one of mine. Vortex, Nightforce, Weaver and Burris all make scopes that have parallax adjustment down to 10 yards also. Lots of options out there these days.

I'll look at my bushnell in my 10/22. I'm pretty sure it has a 10 yard parallax starting position. I don't think it is made anymore though. It is an AR22 model. It has bucket drop marked in the reticle but its clear and not cluttered.

Edit: Bushnell doesn't make it anymore, but if you find one used I'd say scratch it. Great scope.

View attachment 846548 View attachment 846550 View attachment 846552

I have this scope on a pcp air rifle and it is a pretty good fit with the side focus that goes down to 10yds.. It could have a bit thinner reticle but it is pretty decent for the money. Too bad it is not made anymore. Just today I shot a starling at 75yds in a wicked crosswind using this scope. I missed first shot but saw the pellet go a touch low and several inches to the left. Next shot I gave about 6" of windage and held the third dot down even with his head and smoked him.

A Leupold 3x9 EFR will handlle your needs.

This is a fave among the rimfire "critter gitters"
Best,
Gary

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR