JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which bolt action rimfire caliber?

• Total voters
I'll put it this way. I can open the window in my bedroom and shoot my suppressed CZ out the window at the yellow-bellied marmots in my yard and my wife in the next room has no idea that I just off'ed a "cute little critter that's not hurting anything"

Its a far bit quieter than a suppressed 10/22. The above would not work with it.

I shot probably 800 rounds through it this year, it is a great little rifle. I wouldn't give it up. I really like it.

In comparison, I probably put 40 rounds through my .17 this year. I really don't care for the .17 much. For a few more cents a round I can shoot .223. Suppressed it sounds about the same and has a lot more "business" at the critter end.
Is your tacticool heavy per say? Bench type gun?

.22 LR/short/long/CB/etc. - versatile, lightweight, quiet and inexpensive - so are the firearms that shoot it.

I have often considered buying the magnum rimfires but I always come back to the fact that anything that .17 HMR/.22 WMR/et. al. can do, downloaded 5.56 or .22 Hornet or some other similar small caliber centerfire can do and the magnum rimfire ammo is, or is almost, as expensive as centerfire ammo, and the centerfire ammo is more reliable, and more versatile. Plus, you can reload the centerfire, generally it is not practical to reload rimfire.

That is why I just got a 5.56 bolt action and not a rimfire magnum bolt action.

Is your tacticool heavy per say? Bench type gun?

Well its still a .22, but yes its heavy for a .22. It only has a 16" barrel but a heavier one. CZ_455-left.jpg

For suppressed I would go with the .22LR, Rugers are my first choice just ordered a model 8358 other choice would be model 8348.

I went with 17HMR because the OP said Bolt Action, and until recently the 17 cals had not been built on a successful semi rifle. [ the recent Savage A17 may have fixed that!] The bolt guns let me safely shoot a great gun for squirrels!
I have gotten to where I would not be without a 17 cal. They have really extended the range I can hunt ground squirrels from. And at less cost than I can reload .223.

22LR is in a league of its own...........everyone needs several. I haven't priced 22 WMR ammo for a long time but it used to be quite expensive. It was made in jacketed hollow point ammo that had more muzzle energy than a 38. (In my Colt New Frontier Convertible) Might as well have a 223. One of my sons uses the 17 a lot for coyotes on his California ranch. I guess it is quite effective and popular enough the ammo isn't too expensive. Even at that nothing will replace the versatility and ammo options available with the 22LR.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Keep them coming. Lots of good experiences out there.

Ive got a marlin bolt 22mag and love it except for the fact 17hmr is using up all the casings for 22mag making 22mag the least likely to find on the shelf and the price higher
The 17 hmr is nothing more then the 22mag case necked down to 17cal- to me the best of both worlds would be a .20mag aka .20hmr -
while the 17 is flatter shooting to a extent the 22mag retains more knockdown energy clear out into the 150 to 200 yard area due to its heavier yet nearly as high of bc bullet.

I have literally drove thumbs tacks one after another at 50 yards with my 22 mag- I would vote 22mag for ya but the stuff is hard enough to find at times already that i dont need more compitition buying it lol

I'd choose a .22lr. Back in high school I had a Remington 513T that I shot competition with. At 50' for fun we would lay an expended .22lr case on its side so that we could only see the case head, and use those for targets. I rarely missed those with it. From the prone position at 50' I routinely shot 100/100, with the "10" ring being the same size as a .22 bullet hole. You could buy one in those days new for $100. I kick myself to this day for ever letting it go, but I was young and stupid. Now going for around $600.
iu.jpeg

Last Edited:
I went into Sportsmans the other day with every intention to pick up a Ruger American Rimfire in 22lr. They did not have the one I was looking for, but they did have one of these. So it came home with me.

2C6895F3-D431-4FA0-8C33-DC2735018B16.jpeg

@Twodogs did you order it somewhere? I haven't seen it in stores yet, though Sportsmans gets a couple through academy they didn't get that one. I've only seen the 16.5" online thus far.

It's a model 8358 sportsmans superstore has them.
Not even in the ruger website.
I know. I originally found it a week ago searching why they haven't made a 16" barreled version yet and found this.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupers...lr-fde-bolt-action-rifle-with-threaded-barrel

Talked with a friend at Sportsmans warehouse and it was in their inventory. They said they were getting two in Wednesday, but they were just the standards.

I don't mind waiting longer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads