JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone here take a rimfire every time you hit the range? I take my Walther P22 every trip and it eats anything I can fit in the magazine! Infact I have just a tad over 2100 rounds of 100% trouble free fun shooting. Not even a dud round yet.

Not only do I love this little gem but the wife and 5yo both shoot it very well.

With ammo prices the way they are, I'm about to start! I've never considered taking a trip just to shoot my .22 rifle, but now I'm planning on it just to get some trigger time. I've also been looking into getting a modern .22 pistol.

+1 for the Walther p-22. I had one (just traded it) and it was really the only gun I shot when I went shooting. My shooting buddy and I shoot mostly only .22lr then we go. We usually go through 500 rounds each, which makes me feel like it is more worth going shooting, than if I were to shoot 50 of 9mm, or 40 of .223. If you are in the market for a .22 pistol, please do get the Walther P-22. It is, in my opinion, the best semi auto plinker. I have had the 22/45 Mark 3, a Tec-22, shot a Buckmark, Mosquito, Taurus .22lr revolver and more. I could roll shotgun shells at 75 yards pretty consistently with the P-22. No problems with a lot of rounds down the tube. I go to the shooting range near the Mollala River.

Even tho I reload my ammo,it's getting pretty darned expensive,so my buddy and I take our Ruger 10=22's on every outing now. We have some small swinger targets mounted on a portable stand,and with our stock rugers,they are quite the challenge...gotta get some work done on that horrible trigger.

Anyone here take a rimfire every time you hit the range? I take my Walther P22 every trip and it eats anything I can fit in the magazine! Infact I have just a tad over 2100 rounds of 100% trouble free fun shooting. Not even a dud round yet.

Not only do I love this little gem but the wife and 5yo both shoot it very well.

Boris, How accurate is your P22? I ask because I just purchased one (to go with a new silencer) and I could barely hit a paper plate at 10 yrds? I shot the same target with my 38 and had small groups. I probably need more practice. I hope this thing is not a complete scatter gun because I bought it to shoot small critters like grouse, rabbits, etc. while deer/elk hunting - hense the silencer. If I can't even hit a plate, I certainly won't be able to hit a grouse :eek:

Boris, How accurate is your P22? I ask because I just purchased one (to go with a new silencer) and I could barely hit a paper plate at 10 yrds? I shot the same target with my 38 and had small groups. I probably need more practice. I hope this thing is not a complete scatter gun because I bought it to shoot small critters like grouse, rabbits, etc. while deer/elk hunting - hense the silencer. If I can't even hit a plate, I certainly won't be able to hit a grouse :eek:

My P22 is too accurate. Shooting from the off hand I can put a magazine (I modified mine to hold 12 with enough room to have +1 with ease) full into 2-3" at 25 yards with ammo it likes. Mini mags Federal game shoks, Remington game loads and Aguila anything will all group well in my pistol.

All I can say is practice. It is light and has a short sight radius makeing things a little hard to do with it. As soon as you get used to it it will be a good shooter for you.

I also plan on grouse hunting with it and other types of small game this year..............

.22 is the way to go for practice on the cheap. I dont usually bother with a dedicated .22 (sometimes I take my Dad's old Browning Challenger) but I always take my Kimber conversion kit. When I get my Dan Wesson, I'll get a Marvel .22 conversion for it too.

I need to get a 10/22.

I already have one and I think I need to get another.

I took a Bi-Mart 10/22 carbine and slapped a Bushnell Banner scope on it. I liked the accuracy, but knew it could do better. I carved out the stock (Dremel) where the action rests and bedded that. Next, a friend and I turned a section of brass on his lathe and built a better pillar than Volquartsen's and installed it where the escutcheon sits.
Next I bedded the barrel for the first 1.5" and free floated the rest of the barrel out to the end of the stock. I shot for groups without the barrel touching the end of the barrel channel (upward pressure) and without upward pressure. The gun shot best with pressure and no barrel band. Instead of leaving the barrel band off, I took a dowel rod wrapped with sandpaper and removed enough aluminum from the inside of the barrel band for it not to touch the barrel.

Now I have a totally stock looking (well, I installed a polished aluminum vintage metal buttplate) 10/22 that shoots dime-sized groups with just about anything CCI through a factory barrel.

There are pretty good instructions for bedding your action and barrel on rimfirecentral.com.

Total cost of mods: +/- $25.00
Gun: $169.00
Scope: $45.00

Wait, am I in the Handgun Forum?

I've been trying to bring this along when I go plinking now that ammo prices are getting out of hand...

rugermkii.jpg

I want to find some nice grips for it that match my 10/22's stock. Any suggestions?

Warm up gun for the heavy kickers. Also does duty as a spotting scope.

NEF Sportster 17HMR and Trashco 6x24x42 big honkin scope
17HMR.jpg

OOPS this is the handgun forum. I reject your reality and substitute my own. This is the only rimfire I own so it'll have to do.

I already have one and I think I need to get another.

I took a Bi-Mart 10/22 carbine and slapped a Bushnell Banner scope on it. I liked the accuracy, but knew it could do better. I carved out the stock (Dremel) where the action rests and bedded that. Next, a friend and I turned a section of brass on his lathe and built a better pillar than Volquartsen's and installed it where the escutcheon sits.
Next I bedded the barrel for the first 1.5" and free floated the rest of the barrel out to the end of the stock. I shot for groups without the barrel touching the end of the barrel channel (upward pressure) and without upward pressure. The gun shot best with pressure and no barrel band. Instead of leaving the barrel band off, I took a dowel rod wrapped with sandpaper and removed enough aluminum from the inside of the barrel band for it not to touch the barrel.

Now I have a totally stock looking (well, I installed a polished aluminum vintage metal buttplate) 10/22 that shoots dime-sized groups with just about anything CCI through a factory barrel.

There are pretty good instructions for bedding your action and barrel on rimfirecentral.com.

Total cost of mods: +/- $25.00
Gun: $169.00
Scope: $45.00

Wait, am I in the Handgun Forum?

That sounds like a project I'd like to duplicate :D

Not EVERY time I go, but one of the 3 comes 90% of the time or so. I have a Marlin Model 60. Nothin special, but cheap fun, and its reliable and "hunting accurate" at a minimum, a Marlin 25MN .22 mag, which is a darn good shooter, not as cheap, but still fun and cheaper than many of my centerfires, so.....
and an inherited JC Higgins Model 42 22lr that is a super tackdriver, and that my dad had glass bedded, and did a sweet job refinishing and checkering the stock on. Gotta be one of the nicest looking, most accurate $20 (a guess, no real idea what they sold for when back when he got it at 13).

Also have a super El-cheapo RG 22lr revolver. Sights, finish and accuracy stinks, and it usually light strikes 30% of the time (need to look into it one of these days and see if I can cheaply/easily improve that), and the shell extract REAL hard (hand gets a little sore after having to whack on the rod with your palm),but also got it from dad, so it stays (he only paid like $30 or so for it just to have as a cheap plinker, as I recall), and its one of the few guns the wife will shoot (not a fan of recoil or loud noise), so it at least gets used, and does function mostly for the price.:)