JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In the state of Washington you can use rimfire for grouse as stated before. You do not have a magazine capacity limit here for a .22. Keep in mind the only thing you can shoot in the state of Washington with a .22 rimfire is grouse and small game. A .22 centerfire (IE 22-250 or .223 / 5.56) can be used for cougar. All big game animals must be hunted with a min. caliber of .270 (except cougar as previously stated) There is no magazine capacity limit for a hunting rifle for large game. If you have a .308 AR it is completely legal to hunt with a 30 round magazine. I dont condone it, but it is legal. That goes for ANY larger caliber weapon. The only thing defined with a max capacity is upland birds and waterfowl for shotgun - 3 rounds, steel shot only. Whats really cool, is that as of last year, anyone who bow hunts AND has a CPL can carry a sidearm while hunting!!! Cant use the sidearm to dispatch an animal, but its a nice thing to have while in cougar and bear country only armed with a bow!!!!

I just received the answer from ODFW.

This is what I got.

Izzy,

There is no restriction on magazine capacity for rimfire firearms used to hunt forest grouse.

Regards,

Brandon S. Reishus

Assistant Game Bird Biologist

Oregon Dept. of Fish and Wildlife

3406 Cherry Ave NE

Salem, OR 97303

Office (503) 947-6324

Cell (503) 580-8725

Fax (503) 947-6330

email: [email protected]

In the state of Washington you can use rimfire for grouse as stated before. You do not have a magazine capacity limit here for a .22. Keep in mind the only thing you can shoot in the state of Washington with a .22 rimfire is grouse and small game. A .22 centerfire (IE 22-250 or .223 / 5.56) can be used for cougar. All big game animals must be hunted with a min. caliber of .270 (except cougar as previously stated) There is no magazine capacity limit for a hunting rifle for large game. If you have a .308 AR it is completely legal to hunt with a 30 round magazine. I dont condone it, but it is legal. That goes for ANY larger caliber weapon. The only thing defined with a max capacity is upland birds and waterfowl for shotgun - 3 rounds, steel shot only. Whats really cool, is that as of last year, anyone who bow hunts AND has a CPL can carry a sidearm while hunting!!! Cant use the sidearm to dispatch an animal, but its a nice thing to have while in cougar and bear country only armed with a bow!!!!

THIS IS INCORRECT INFORMATION!!! From Page 62 of Washington Regs:

"Big game, except cougar, must be hunted with
a minimum of 24 caliber (6mm) centerfire rifle.
Cougar may be hunted with 22 caliber centerfire
rifle. Rimfire rifles are not legal for big game."

:s0093:

So lets see...

You can Use 22lr on grouse...

There is No mag cap requirements for Hunting (except for waterfoul and upland game w/ shotguns)

and You Can carry in the woods with your CPL if bow hunting...

Oh and No 223 for big game and no 22lr for cougar...

:s0093:

So lets see...

You can Use 22lr on grouse...

There is No mag cap requirements for Hunting (except for waterfoul and upland game w/ shotguns)

and You Can carry in the woods with your CPL if bow hunting...

Oh and No 223 for big game and no 22lr for cougar...

The carrying while bowhunting makes as much sense as our fine state's supressor laws. You can have it, you just can't use it. On game anyway.

I'm sorry.. I stand corrected... 24 caliber is the minimum for big game NOT .270. My apologies to all those that use 6mm to hunt big game with!?!?!? :eek:

Nowhere did I say rimfire was legal to use for big game.

Sorry, I never said you did. I just pulled the entire quote from the regs.

I've shot a good number of deer with my 6mm and my 25-06. I'd also love to have a 264 Win Mag in the quiver...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top