JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When using a shotgun, you have a three round MAX capacity.

It is legal to use a rim fire on grouse.
What is the MAX capacity for your rifle when hunting grouse?

My Brother & I were talking about this the other day.
I looked in the rule book & found nothing.

I have a feeling I won't be using my 10/22 with the 25 round mag this year.
:gun11:

when I took hunter training in BC some years ago, our instructor was quite the character. Spoke with an impeccable British accent, was originally from South Africa, had hunted ever game species on every continent..... and was a wildlife biologist. A walking wildlife encyclopedia. When it came to the chicken-type birds, he was very funny. HE said the best weapon to use on grouse is an old bolt action .22 WRF.... but you needn't bother bringing ammunition. Simply walk up to the stupid animals from behind, as they perch on the low branches, and take a swing at them with the but of the rifle... knock them in the head. He claimed to have done this, cleaning a half dozen speckled grouse off the same branch, one after the next..... none of them wised up to the reality of what he was doing. Said they sure were tasty critters, though..... or, alternatively, out in the woods with NO weapon... find a broken off hardwood branch and knock your supper into the pot.

It is legal here in Washington. I get my grouse each year with either my .22lr or my .36 longrifle. A .22lr hollowpoint out to 50yrds or so using a head shot does the trick. Andy

This is what I E-Mailed to the ODFW. When I get a response I will post it here.

On page 12 of the ODFW game bird regulations, it says "Rimfire firearm are allowed for the hunting of forest grouse only"

My question is, what is the max round capacity allowed for a rimfire firearm?

It states clearly "No one may hunt game birds with a shotgun which can hold more than three shells"
It does not state how many rounds for rimfires.

THANK YOU
Izzy

No limit on rimfire capacity. Just be reasonable. If you need 25 rounds to down 1-3 grouse without them escaping, you need to spend more time improving your accuracy. It doesn't take very long to reload a rimfire and fair chase is what we're going for.

We use a pistol so the mag "capacity" is 10. But do I hunt with a full mag? It's "VERY" sporting as you get the "#$%$" scared out of you walking down a trail, then you have to draw and compose yourself while you then stalk your grouse while your eyes are pulsing with your heartbeat.

Last Edited:
It is not defined in the regulations, therefore it does not exist. (yet)
If you want to be SURE you're NOT going to get a ticket, then use the lowest common denominator of 3 rounds in your firearm. You'll never get a ticket for using less ammo than any rule states.

If you keep asking ODFW to define it for you they will. I would rather discuss the topic with an officer in the field as opposed to seeing it in the regulations. We have enough regulations for hunting already.

Be thoughtful and reasonable in your hunting and selection and you'll be fine. If you need more than 10 rounds to harvest a grouse, then you need to practice more before you go hunting.

Honestly, I Either use my single shot 20ga. or my .17HMR with a 5 round mag. (the 10/22 with a 25 round mag was a joke.

I was just talking with my brother & we thought it would be a good idea to find out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top