JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It had been a while since I shot a 22 LR.
I bought a 10/22 for plinking - I had a mis-fire and so I looked at where the firing pin was striking the case. It very close to the edge of the rim.

So never thinking about it before and in thinking that "rim fire" probably means close to edge of the rim?
Is where the firing pin is striking correct or should it be closer to the center. Becasue Based on the firing pin configuration there is not alot to adjust.

I have several 22LR rifles and have found that I start mis firing and jamming when it is in need of cleaning. One rifle has to be cleaned every 100 rounds or so or else it stove pipes like crazy. A quick clean and its up and going again. Good luck.

Rimfires are notorious for misfires/duds. It's why modern self defense weapons use centerfire primers. Go to any popular shootin' spot in the woods and look on the ground.. you will find quite a few live .22s

You can improve your ignition on a 10/22 with after market firing pins

..and individual weapons can be finicky with some brands of ammunition, even high quality ammo. My 10/22's don't like some brands of the "bulk" inexpensive/cheap ammo yet flawlessly feed other brands of bulk ammo. The same is true of some of the higher quality/price rounds. Try a variety of ammunition and stick with what cycles and feeds best in your rifle.

I had two brand new 10/22's that had some copper corrosion in the firing pin channel. I removed the firing pin and did a good cleaning and now both run great.

Also that 22s in general are really dirty shooting rounds. I bring my bore snake with me everytime I go shooting. I snake my barrel every 150-200 rounds and that usually keeps me shooting for quite a while.

I myself have owned and currently own mutiple rimfires spanning more than 30 years of useage and can honestly say I have had less than 10 FTF's in probably 30,000 rounds give or take 1000.

One of them being a 10/22 that's never had a failure to fire in 5,000 round give or take 500.

The biggest thing I learned is not to buy the least expensive ammo. I prefer CCI stuff myself (bulk 525 to a box is fine, nothing fancy just lead round nose). My Berreta Neos likes CCI Mini Mags copper coated @ 1235 fps.

On the rare occasion I get a failure to feed , I often find it's due to excessive bullet lube from spent rounds building up in the chamber or action. A little cleaning and off I go..

As far as rim fire's not being reliable, I don't completely agree as I have had more failure to fire with centerfire ammunition myself than any of my rimfire's if you look at percentages of rounds shot... If anything, rimfires require a bit more maintenance than their centerfire counterparts due to the lighter duty internals including springs as such especially in an auto loader rimfire such as your 10/22.

Also, keep in mind that rimfire weapons in general are on the lower end of the price spectrum of weapons and built to slightly wider tolerances than their centerfire counterparts.

I have heard and read that the newer 10/22's with the plastic trigger groups and such aren't nearly as reliable as the older variety...

Not to take from this board but there is a wealth of rimfire information to be had at www.rimfirecentral.com

JMHO...

Billy

Go to any popular shootin' spot in the woods and look on the ground.. you will find quite a few live .22s

I had to laugh at that comment because i just read the thread about the dork in England who called the cops because he found a SINGLE .22 LR round lying in the curb. . .

onoz_omg2.gif

I had to laugh at that comment because i just read the thread about the dork in England who call the cops because he found a SINGLE .22 LR round lying in the curb. . .

onoz_omg2.gif

That's what brought it to mind! He would have had a mental breakdown thinking he was in the movie Deliverance were we went shooting yesterday! :s0112:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top