Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Right of Self Defense at Work - UT

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by RicInOR, Sep 21, 2015.

1. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

UTAH SUPREME COURT PROTECTS RIGHT OF EMPLOYEES TO DEFEND THEMSELVES AT WORK: “We conclude that the policy favoring the right of self-defense is a public policy of sufficient clarity and weight to qualify as an exception to the at-will employment doctrine.”

A decision by the Utah Supreme Court on Wal-Mart's firing of employees who exercised self-defense when confronting an armed shoplifter.

----

There are 66 pages you can download. This would not impact company rules which state things like - do not physically prevent ...

It appears to only apply to cases where the employee felt they had to defend them self - not the store.

Would this apply to the workers who feel they have to carry / use an FA or other weapon ?

2. Koda

Koda Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

im not certain this changes anything.... they can still fire you for violating workplace policy.

3. Ralgha

Ralgha Portland Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

It's too bad I already refuse to shop at Wally World, because I'd really like to stop shopping there over this.

mjbskwim likes this.
  4. Deebow

Deebow Portland Well-Known Member

I would be fired then I guess. I can always find another job. Better my family have an unemployed me than a dead me.

And I bet I could get glowing references from all of the employees I saved. :D

blackadder likes this.