JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am left-eye dominant and, by necessity, have to shoot left-handed. Bolt-action rifles are predominantly right-handed. Generally, models for lefties are more expensive and limited. Just wondering if some of you have shot right-handed bolt-action rifles on the left side and it has worked for you?

I am left handed , but right eye dominant...I now shoot all long guns right handed.
That said...I learned to shoot , when younger left handed with right handed rifle actions...

When shooting with a right handed bolt action rifle , left handed , you , generally need to drop the rifle from your shoulder to work the bolt...one of the many reasons I learned and worked to shoot right handed...As I prefer to work the action of a long gun from my shoulder.

Like anything , shooting a right handed rifle , left handed can be done...it just takes practice , to find a method that works for you...

Luckily today they are many choices for left handed folks....Ruger's American Rifle series comes to mind.
Andy

Left eye dominant but shoot right handed. Handgun I use the left eye. Rifle the right eye. Purely a training issue. This falls under the "just do it" category.

I remember a few minutes when i shouldered a rifle for the first time, where left seemed more natural, but a short sunburned nasty Sargent cliped me upside the head. That was that. Right shoulder like the rest.

Last Edited:
My wife and son are right handed, left eye dominant. I've been having them shoot off their left shoulder but lately been thinking of trying to get them to train their right eye to shoot. Maybe taping over the left lens on some glasses, I've read it works. Not an issue but as mentioned there are more offerings for shooting off the right shoulder. I can shoot off either and use whichever eye the guns shouldered on, not a bad skill to learn and really doesn't take a lot of effort to get the hang of.

Last Edited:
Right handed/left eye dominant. Learned to shoot long guns from my right shoulder. I've been practicing handguns and long guns both left and right handed for several years. I'm a lot better shot right handed than left and, even though I'm left eye dominant, I still find myself trying to sight with my right eye for a split second before my old brain catches on that I'm shooting left handed. So, my experience is that you'll shoot with whichever eye you train yourself to shoot with.

My wife and son are right handed, left eye dominant. I've been having them shoot off their left shoulder but lately been thinking of trying to get them to train their right eye to shoot. Maybe taping over the left lens on some glasses, I've read it works. Not an issue but as mentioned there are more offering for shooting off the right shoulder. I can shoot off either and use whichever eye the guns shouldered on, not a bad skill to learn and really doesn't take a lot of effort to get the hang of.
I probably have read 15 articles on the subject of eye dominance in the last six months, because I was hoping to find a solution for which side I should shoot on. It's sort of like barrel break-in, some do it and some don't. Most of what I have read tends to agree that it's best to shoot on the side of your dominant eye. Chuck Hawks suggests learning to shoot from both sides, as he has been in hunting situations that demanded it. His suggestion sounds like a good one. I followed an interesting suggestion to point at an object and cover each eye (continuing to point the finger at the object). For me, the object was way off the mark looking through my right eye, and spot on with the left. A few suggest using a patch over the dominant eye and shooting from the side you are most comfortable using. One has actually trimmed his comb to shoot right-handed and still sighting with his doinant left eye. Supposedly, there are quite a few shooters who have a dominant eye for the wrong side when it comes to shooting a rifle. Through my experience, I definitely feel for those who shoot left-handed, because there are less rifle choices.

Last Edited:
I've been shooting right handed firearms for so long I wouldn't know what to do with a left handed version.

:)

They mention lefties shooting right handed AR's getting hot brass ejected on their necks. NEVER has happened to me, after THOUSANDS of rounds.

BUT...while shooting a FA M249 SAW I did manage to burn my right forearm from the piles of brass it spit.

:)
It happened to me the first time I shot a rt hand semi-automatic at an indoor range. I did not even realize it was a spent cartridge that popped over my glasses and was burning my forehead. It must have looked funny as hell, but, in the moment, there was nothing funny about it!