JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Perhaps this has been discussed here before---I tried a search and came up empty.
I am left-eye dominant and when I shoot I automatically close my right eye so that my aim is on. I feel as though I need to change this habit.
My husband decided to put tape on my right lens to cover that eye and that seemed to help. I tried it again today and went without for a few rounds. Seems to help with the tape.
I would appreciate any suggestions/input on this.
Wifey

At most drugstores you can find a black eyepatch. The goal is to learn to "ignore" the other eye. I have a built in advantage, as my non-dominant eye doesn't work so good anyway. My wife has the same problem, but she's learning to keep both eyes open, as she noticed (on her own) that she can't shoot as well while squinting.
For many, wearing the eyepatch around for extended periods (like at home) will help train you to use your eyes independantly. It'll feel weird at first, but it works. Just like the folks who learn to lift one eyebrow at a time, it's an aquired skill for most.

Same problem here. I have always shot long guns left handed and shoot pistols right and left. It can be a great asset to shoot with both. Practice practice practice

You're cross-dominant. There's nothing inherently wrong with that. Do whatever you need to do to shoot better. Best advice I've heard and practice is to experiment with it.

Pistol shouldn't be as much of a problem since you'll simply move the pistol over to sight with your dominant eye. Placing scotch tape over your non-dominant eye will help you shoot better by reducing eye fatigue from squinting. I don't think you need an eye-patch.

For rifles, that's where experimenting to see how you shoot better is going to give you the best answer. Try both hands and both eyes. Many people find it relatively easy to switch hands and shoot with your non-dominant hand compared to switching eyes. That said, if you're wanting uniformity you can re-train your eyes. Your brain will adapt if you're patient.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/strategies-tactics-training/53952-both-eyes-open-shooting.html

More of a right hand/left hand thread but some cross-dominance success stories:
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/off-topic/188-how-many-lefties-do-we-have-here.html

Didn't discover I was left eye dominate and right handed until I started shooting pistols. I've always closed my left eye with a rifle but when I started with pistols I found that didn't work as well. Eventually I learned to tilt my head to the right and use my left eye and it allows me to keep both eyes open. It looks strange but it works. I can shot left handed but given that the vast majority of pistols are set up right handed I don't find it to be that convienent.

I'm a lefty/Right Eye Dominant. This really messes me up when Cowboy Action Shooting. Switching from Pistol to rifle is a chore.

I shoot Speed steel with a 10/22 and Red dot site, both eyes open. The red dot commands more attention than eye dominance. I think this works to my advantage though cause my dominant eye pays more attention to the surroundings while the left focus's on the target.

I use lip balm to smear a spot on my shooting glasses so the right eye can't focus on the sights when shooting sporting clays.

I'm left eye dominant and right handed also. I shoot primarily with my left eye closed and have recently tried shooting with my left eye but still right handed. It's doable if you practice. What absolutely doesn't work is shooting with both eyes open. Because my left eye wants to run the show, I can't obtain a decent or even consistent sight picture. The only real option for those of us in this position might be to install a red dot sight of some kind if you want to run with both eyes open.

I read somewhere years ago that cross-dominance is somewhat uncommon, like less than 10% in all people. But that year (this was in the 80's) something like 70% of the MLB batters with averages over .300 were cross dominant (not dominate), hitting right with a stronger left eye, or vice versa. Something about the better eye not having to look around the bridge of the nose with a 90+ mph baseball whizzing by. This is from memory, but it stuck with me because I'm also cross dominant, right handed with a much stronger left eye, though not a great ball player.

I read some stuff from Mas Ayoob and guys like him saying it was important to either switch hands or switch eyes so they matched. It really made sense with rifles (impossible to use my better eye), and the right ejection port on most carbines. So, rather than switching hands, I switched to the right eye with pistols. Probably $100 worth of ammo later it was done. It helped to mix in a lot of rifles, and a LOT of shotguns with randomly hand thrown pigeons. Then it just became automatic to use the right eye for everything.

Been doing it for 20 years even though my left eye is still much stronger. Once or twice I've caught myself going back to the left with a pistol, but then I switch back because I'm more or less used to it. Pretty much anything we do, or don't do, can be turned into a habit with a little practice. Right eyed scopes and red dots, both of which I use with both eyes open are comfy just from repetition.

And now this has me wondering... when I practice weak hand drills, I wonder which eye I'm using there.

Bottom line? Give switching eyes a few honest tries before you give up on it. Odd at first, automaic later.

Well it can't be that uncommon....I too am right handed yet left eye dominate, though not by much i think since i don't notice as much as some. i generally shoot scopes/peeps by closing my left eye and aiming with the right. I try to leave both eyes open for pistols and close range shooting, though another thing i try with pistols is shooting side stance left side facing target/ right arm across my chest with the pistol in close to my body - you can aim with the left eye this way, plus keep the pistol in close and present a smaller target to someone shooting at you but you gotta learn not to flinch from blast and powder burn :D (I'm sure i'll catch slack from suggesting that stance)

Don't know if i saw this in skimming- I'm heavily left eye dominant, right handed. I can't close just my left eye independently. Quality scopes or nice red dots work best for enabling my right eye to "take over" and pick up the image. Scope setup has become absolutely imperative for me to have the scope at the right spot to pick it up and not have my left eye picking up what I don't need!

What Wifey didn't mention here is that she's had the eye surgery. After correcting both eyes vision was not right, (can't remember if distant or close vision was off). Doc went back in and corrected LEFT eye for distance. The right eye wants to be dominent but is set for close up vision. We weren't shooting at the time, and never would have thought about it.

Mike

From our discription my ASSumption reaction is that she should be better off- right eye focus up close which is what you want dominant when looking through a scope to be able to have that picked up. Or is her left eye distance strong enough that her right eye doesn't want to pick up the scope still?

What scopes tried/used? Brand, model, red dot or regular scope, etc.

When I went through my firearms class the instructor determined that I was left eye dominate and that I shoot right handed. He didn't think it was a problem. He asked me if I'd every shot rifles and I told him that I did shoot left handed and it was always a pain to lower the rifle and chamber a round with a standard rifle because the handle is on the right side of the weapon. He knew exactly what I was talking about and said that he has to do the same thing. I shoot both handguns and rifles pretty well so I would surmise that it's not a problem being right handed and left eye dominate.

Many people, many solutions.
Some folks close their right eye (me, handguns), some close their left eye and learn to shoot with their right (me, long guns and archery). Some keep both eyes open and shoot the (concentrate on) inside set of sights. Some spend many hours retraining their brain to go the the dominate hand (right and right, left and left) side automatically so they can keep both eyes open and not see the second set of sights (probably the best for the very serious target shooters).
Your dime, your choice.
Ed

I am left eye Dominate and was born left handed. I was forced to right hand in the first grade. I am no left eye dominate and except for practice ambidextrous. I shoot rifles both right or left handed and I use the eye I am shouldering the weapon to. I shoot pistol right hand using either or both eyes. I can shoot through a scope or peep sights on a rifle with both eyes open. I can shoot pistol left handed and use either or both eyes.

I how ever can't hit a damn thing with a bow and have only ever been able to shoot a bow right handed.

My son suffered from Bells Palsy while out to Sea while in the Navy and was not able to get proper treatment for it. He now can't fully close his left eye when shooting right handed so is currently learning how to shoot left handed with a right hand bolt. He does very well with 9mm, shotgun, M16, and M14 in the NAVY Qualifying very high in all.

When he bench shoots we put a piece of magic tape on his glasses to blur the left eye. Or as I said he will shoot left handed.

its all a matter of practice.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top