JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was out shooting over the weekend, and retrieved some of my bullets. I found a few of my expensive HP's, and rifling from the barrel (A S&W M&P in .40 s&w) is just visible.
However, the FMJ bullets (Blazer Brass) bullets have the copper casing cut all the way down to the lead from the rifling.
Is this normal, or is this the trademark of a cheap bullet? Anything to be concerned about?

FYI,
my pistol is very new ca: about 100 rounds thru it so far.

Thank you,
JDUB

Gunner has given youa great place to start.
Many times over the years I have re-loaded ammunition for my .44mag using bullets that differ in diameter from one manufacturerer to another, Bullet styles also differ. The differences in diameter are slight but, that slight difference can have a great affect on accuracy etc.
Goto a website like midwayusa.com and look at the bullets they offer for reloading.
Have you noticed if your handgun shoots better using one brand over the other ? When it's all said and done, that is what counts.

I would guess that the cheap Blazer Brass bullets are way over sized and have stretched the bore diameter of your gun. :s0114: :s0114: :s0114: :s0155:

Naw, but I have seen defectively sized bullets even in the best of brands. I've seen a lot more in the cheaper brands. It's rare, but I've seen it.

What brand are those "expensive HP's" just out of curiosity?

PS Harbor Freight has the digital calipers on sale again right now for $9.95.

Thanks for the tip on the calipers...was just thinking: GREAT. Another accessory to my already insanely expensive hobby! I can deal w/ $9.95.

The HP's are Federal Hydra Shocks.

And yes, my M&P Compact does NOT like the cheap Federal Red box stuff from WalMart (but the full size one doesn't seem to care?). I get FTF about 20-30% of the time. But its fine w/ Blazer Brass, my HP's and PMC cheap stuff.

Thanks guys.

jdub your blaser bullets may be electroplated which is a much thinner jacket compared to a normal bullet jacket,hence the reason for cutting through to the lead core.Just my $.02 worth.

Groove diameters sometimes vary.You can check that by driving a soft lead slug through the barrel and measure the slug with a micrometer.If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself any good smith can do it for you.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads