JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This one. I started shooting it when I was six. My Grandpa bought it new. I shot the livin crap out of it as a teenager when I was allowed to use it as I pleased. After I moved out Dad and I shared it. I got tired of the fuzzy image from the original Weaver 3/4" 6 power and rescoped it in the late 90's. (I kept the original one)The last time I shot it was almost 4 years ago, shortly after Dad died and it came back to me for keeps... At least until I pass it down. Even when I hadn't shot it for ages, it fits like a tailor made glove. It's an old friend.
Marlin 81DL
81DL d.JPG

I was in a tiny gun shop in West Salem in 1962. I put a new Winchester model 88 up to my shoulder, fit good, pointed naturally, perfect iron sights. I still have it.

Russian SKS. I took that thing all over creation for years. Had it since 1993 when I was 12. I have had that and a Mosin that I used to hunt predators with for bounty.

Lever action carbines are in the same category for me.

My Steven's 44 in 38spl. is actually the easiest to just shoot.

My Marlin Texan in 30/30 is a perfect fit for me. short barrel, light, and Smooooth action. It just feels like a part of me when I shoot it.

Marlin 336 Texan 39 30 b.JPG

My Gunsite scout in 308 is a close second. :)

AR, 1894, savage 110, mossberg 500

i did just shoot a browning a bolt yesterday. that felt pretty good too. i like wood and blued steel bolt action rifles. most of them fit well

BOLT action rifles and lever action rifles. RF caliber only now.

I do not own any of my former beautiful, heavier, walnut lever action rifles in top brand names in RF and in CF calibers.

I am into bolt action rifles more now and I mainly shoot 1 specific bolt action rifle now.

CZ 455 Lux in 22lr.

They still make that CZ rifle but it is the 457 Lux model now.

I like the falling block style in a single shot rifle too. (I had a Stevens Favorite made by Savage.)

The only semi automatic rifle that I ever owned was a Made in CT Marlin Papoose (Black composite/stainless steel.) with the blue case. Circa late 90's to 2001. I eventually sold that rifle out here in Montana.

I have shot several semi automatic rifles in RF and CF calibers in the past but I did not own them.

Lever action rifles were my absolute favorite rifles until I found a sweet bolt action rifle that SUITED ME to a T especially since my arthritis and old accident issues got worse.

Old Lady Cate

Last Edited:
BOLT action rifles and lever action rifles. RF caliber only now.

I do not own any of my former beautiful, heavier, walnut lever action rifles in top brand names in RF and in CF calibers.

I am into bolt action rifles more now and I mainly shoot 1 specific bolt action rifle now.

CZ 455 Lux in 22lr.

They still make that CZ rifle but it is the 457 Lux model now.

I like the falling block style in a single shot rifle too. (I had a Stevens Favorite made by Savage.)

The only semi automatic rifle that I ever owned was a Made in CT Marlin Papoose (Black composite/stainless steel.) with the blue case. Circa late 90's to 2001. I eventually sold that rifle out here in Montana.

I have shot several semi automatic rifles in RF and CF calibers in the past but I did not own them.

Lever action rifles were my absolute favorite rifles until I found a sweet bolt action rifle that SUITED ME to a T especially since my arthritis and old accident issues got worse.

Old Lady Cate
I am curious your opinion of 17HMR it is bar none my favorite rimfire to shoot.

I am curious your opinion of 17HMR it is bar none my favorite rimfire to shoot.

Hello,

I have no opinion about 17HMR since I have never shot that cartridge or COMPARED it to what I have shot in RF cartridges.

I have no clue about 17HMR shooting other than what I have read online. I have NEVER shot any 17HMR caliber firearm.

I have not known any person out here at my range (Montana) where I could shoot their firearm in that caliber. I never knew any person who owned that caliber in my former state, back east, at my Sportsman's Club (Outdoor range and club house.) or at my former indoor range that connected to my former gun store in another county.

I left that state after my late husband died and I think (?) that the 17HMR caliber got more popular after that time frame but I could be WRONG.

I have shot 22 shorts and 22 longs. They were from my MT husband's older stash of ammunition where we used up that ammunition on purpose. (We did this when we did OUR major downsizing and major caliber consolidation.)

I never bought 22 shorts or 22 longs. I only bought 22lr and 22wmr and CF factory ammunition. I did get a LOT of 22wmr ammo with a full in store credit (FFL in Ronan, MT at the time. Old store that closed up that I still miss!) when I downsized years ago too.

I have shot tons of 22lr in various brands since the late 90's as a Newbie and with my own former personal stash of CF factory ammunition too. (RF = 22lr and 22wmr. My former CF firearm calibers: 9mm, 38Special and Plus P, 357Magnum, 45Long Colt, 30-30 and 44 Magnum/44Special = gifts.)

I have shot my MT husband's reloaded CF ammunition in his and her firearms too.

I have shot 22wmr ammunition in my former Henry Golden Boy 22wmr rifle that matched my former Golden Boy rifle in 22lr. I LOVED to shoot 22wmr and, for a time frame, I actually considered only going to 22wmr rifles too! Especially after I got out of CF firearms.

I only owned one 22wmr rifle in that former heavier GB rifle. I do not own any 22wmr rifle now and my MT husband does not own any 22wmr firearm now either.

Before I ever owned that GB rifle in 22wmr, I only shot a BIT of 22wmr out of my former, various Ruger single action revolvers with 2 cylinders - 22lr/22wmr.

I know some people do not like LONG posts, questions and/or answers, on this forum so I hope that I did not offend you by posting a longer response.

Take care.

Old Lady Cate

I have no 17 cal either and am scared to get a gun in that caliber, as I might get hooked on it/them.
I have at least Seven rifles and Eight hand guns that shoot 22LR.
I have One rifle and Four handguns in 22 Mag
I don't shoot any that much, but definitely have a preference for 22 Mag, that said, economics and availability of ammo dictate I keep my 22LR's.

Hello,

I have no opinion about 17HMR since I have never shot that cartridge or COMPARED it to what I have shot in RF cartridges.

I have no clue about 17HMR shooting other than what I have read online. I have NEVER shot any 17HMR caliber firearm.

I have not known any person out here at my range (Montana) where I could shoot their firearm in that caliber. I never knew any person who owned that caliber in my former state, back east, at my Sportsman's Club (Outdoor range and club house.) or at my former indoor range that connected to my former gun store in another county.

I left that state after my late husband died and I think (?) that the 17HMR caliber got more popular after that time frame but I could be WRONG.

I have shot 22 shorts and 22 longs. They were from my MT husband's older stash of ammunition where we used up that ammunition on purpose. (We did this when we did OUR major downsizing and major caliber consolidation.)

I never bought 22 shorts or 22 longs. I only bought 22lr and 22wmr and CF factory ammunition. I did get a LOT of 22wmr ammo with a full in store credit (FFL in Ronan, MT at the time. Old store that closed up that I still miss!) when I downsized years ago too.

I have shot tons of 22lr in various brands since the late 90's as a Newbie and with my own former personal stash of CF factory ammunition too. (RF = 22lr and 22wmr. My former CF firearm calibers: 9mm, 38Special and Plus P, 357Magnum, 45Long Colt, 30-30 and 44 Magnum/44Special = gifts.)

I have shot my MT husband's reloaded CF ammunition in his and her firearms too.

I have shot 22wmr ammunition in my former Henry Golden Boy 22wmr rifle that matched my former Golden Boy rifle in 22lr. I LOVED to shoot 22wmr and, for a time frame, I actually considered only going to 22wmr rifles too! Especially after I got out of CF firearms.

I only owned one 22wmr rifle in that former heavier GB rifle. I do not own any 22wmr rifle now and my MT husband does not own any 22wmr firearm now either.

Before I ever owned that GB rifle in 22wmr, I only shot a BIT of 22wmr out of my former, various Ruger single action revolvers with 2 cylinders - 22lr/22wmr.

I know some people do not like LONG posts, questions and/or answers, on this forum so I hope that I did not offend you by posting a longer response.

Take care.

Old Lady Cate
If I was local, I'd let you shoot some of mine. I have a bolt action, and a ruger single six in it. I hope to someday get the henry Lever in 17hmr. I believe it is a necked down .22wmr. VERY accurate. Only gun I ever shot a fly at at 50 yards.

My favorite rimfire caliber.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads