JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I love my varmint AR... 18.5" heavy stainless spiral fluted. I can put 10shots in a dime sized group from the bench at 100yds. But I just haven't shot it enough for it to be that comfortable old friend.

My first .22 was a tube fed Marlin with the curved grip. Really a fabulous shooter. Sold it for the divorce. I miss it a lot.

The absolute best friend is an old beater 10/22 that I bought at a yard sale many years ago... at the beginning of my second lifetime. It had a rusted out barrel, and a rusted rcvr. I took the barrel off, polished up the rcvr, put a trigger group in it and a nylon bolt stop. Installed a heavy barrel and a kevlar stock. I've put many thousands of rounds thru it, plinking, shooting squeaks, and shooting .22cal steel silhouette offhand. I added a pad to the stock so that the length is just right for my long arms and neck, and with the barrel weight it lays perfectly in my palm with my elbow braced against my side. Looks like this one except a longer barrel and w/o the bipod.

best-1022-upgrades.jpg

My second was a Ruger #1V heavy barrel internal hammer falling block single shot .22-250... Shot many magpies and crows, coyote, and cleaned out an entire county worth of yellow bellied marmots (rockchucks for those in Yorba Linda). Also gone in the divorce. :(

Third fav was my Remington 700BDL in 6mm Remington. The Monte Carlo stock fit just right and the trigger was fab for a production trigger. Shot paper, many a varmint, and a few deer. Also gone in the divorce. :(

Fourth fav was my wife's sporterized M1 carbine with tiger eye maple Monte Carlo stock and a Weaver 4x scope. With a stock pad it fit well and was a great shooter with the 5rd mag, but the 20rd mags had some problems.

Last Edited:
always fond of the ergonomics of a 10/22 or a Marlin model 60.

The AR is comfortable when set up properly for me. I'm not flexible at all so anything in a prone setup is near impossible.

Browning BBR in 30-06
Model 92 45 Colt on DOWN in cal.
Rem. 742 semi auto 30-06 w/Lyman rec'vr peep
Rem bolt 22lr circa 1936 tube fed, gold bead shallow U notch rear
M14 A1

Nicely stated, and I don't mean this toward your choice at all....I've labored long & mightily to achieve that sensation....yet AR is never ever anywhere near when I do stumble across such a description.Give me a decent lever gun, or better yet, a proper single shot, such as nearly any of the mighty bore buffalo guns of so long ago....and just as Benji Franklin said about wine, I then know there is a God and She DOES love us.....
Mostly my decision is based on competition and training. If it's shaped like an AR and has AR like controls, I have an easier time manipulating the firearm and using it.

I've had this Ruger .243 for 40 years now and it's pretty much an old friend. Carries right, comes up right and hits where I point it. Hasn't taken every head of big game I've killed, but it's accounted for a number of them.

DSCF0023.jpeg IMG_0615.jpeg 2003 DEER HUNT 010.jpeg

Any of the Colt Revolving Rifles of the later 1800's, and any of the strait stocked Winchesters seem to be about perfect to me! The Remington Mod 8's, and Browning clones of Winchesters all seem to meld with me as one! Several Sporters have also found their way to my safe, they not only fit like they were made just for me, but they are darn pretty to look at too!
For Fighting Iron, nothing fits better then a 1911, and in rifles, the FAL, or the M-1 Garand/M1-A/BM-59 feel perfect! Even a Scant stock 1903 is dang near perfect, but kind of ugly! Mauser M-98's are awesome, and the SMLE just fits!

Nothing handles, shoulders, points and balances more naturally for me than a model 1894 Winchester carbine.

Nothing I've shot or handled even comes close.

Nothing handles, shoulders, points and balances more naturally for me than a model 1894 Winchester carbine.

Nothing I've shot or handled even comes close.

Ditto, more or less. The pistol caliber lever-guns in the OP are close for me, but there is nothing quite like the 94. I has been that way since as long as I can recall.

Gonna be a dumb over in some people's eyes... Those saiga rifles in unconverted sporterized form really fit me well. They handle the way I like, they feel great, they look like a night of too much drinking.

Ditto, more or less. The pistol caliber lever-guns in the OP are close for me, but there is nothing quite like the 94. I has been that way since as long as I can recall.
Oh no doubt, the side spittin' Marlins are right there. The edge goes to the Winchester with it's checkered steel buttplate. The plastic plate on the Marlin just doesn't find my shoulder pocket as well.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top