JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, after a long and interesting journey around the hinterland, my wife and children are occupied with chores. I am working on technical matters, drinking some wine, have some music on, able to think of various things. My mind turns to rifles that "just fit". Or put another way, naturally handling. Like as in some one is so familiar with, it is like an old friend who one has talked to for years, or like a lover one has explored with deeply.

The answer for me? The smaller type of lever-action rifles in pistol or intermediate rifle cartridges:

LeverLover.jpg

Shoot and reload as fast as a semi-automatic? Of course not. Mechanically, this is an impossibility. Very fast and accurate, most assuredly so. No idea why, other than it was the first centerfire rifle type I ever had serious trigger time on in youth. (Not the first gun I shoot; first lever-action BB gun, then father's Astra automatic 9㎜, then brother's .22 carbine and 20-gauge shotgun.)

So, friend, what is your rifle or type that fits this mold? Kindly share. :D

Not the answer you are looking for, but:

12.5" AR, slim handguard with a short vertical grip at ~8" out. Magpul k2 grip, and a chunky stock/brace, 45 degree safety.

It's what feels "right" to me. But I have not been shooting for decades like most here. This is what I "grew up on" much later than most.

And every AR in my collection "feels" the same and points similar regardless of stock, brace, or barrel length.

Eventually they will all have the same safety, and probably the same trigger.

20191227_102805_HDR.jpg

Last Edited:
The ergonomics of the AR and it's many many renderings tends to be my most favorite and comfortable type of gun.

The ergonomics of the AR and it's many many renderings tends to be my most favorite and comfortable type of gun.
Nicely stated, and I don't mean this toward your choice at all....I've labored long & mightily to achieve that sensation....yet AR is never ever anywhere near when I do stumble across such a description.Give me a decent lever gun, or better yet, a proper single shot, such as nearly any of the mighty bore buffalo guns of so long ago....and just as Benji Franklin said about wine, I then know there is a God and She DOES love us.....

I haven't shot many rifles, however I grew up playing with wooden parts from WW2 commonwealth milsurp. I probably shoot the M1 carbine the best, as far as a "rifle" goes. Love lever actions too, but only shot a model 39-A and I know that rifle did all the work. Can't honestly say from experience on leveractions.
I'm better with automatic pistols than a rifle, funny enough.

I will say guns like the Ares SCR, mini 14, and m1 carbine feel more natural and carry more comfortably, like a shotgun, but I practice with the AR so that feels right.

Having spent time in the military I can use an AR platform with my eyes closed...but for the rifle that just feels "natural" it's the Garand. From the moment I held one it was like welcoming home an old friend. To me it's well balanced and my point of aim is naturally on mark.

IMG_3251 (1).jpg

Having spent time in the military I can use an AR platform with my eyes closed...but for the rifle that just feels "natural" it's the Garand. From the moment I held one it was like welcoming home an old friend. To me it's well balanced and my point of aim is naturally on mark.

View attachment 651941
Had an M14 replica softair rifle growing up, so I can agree with the sentiment.
I also had a M1928 replica that was a beast.
:rolleyes:

The first rifle I owned as a child was a Marlin .22 (unsurprisingly), but the second rifle and the one I learned to hunt with was an SKS. Even after having a lot of trigger time with the AR platform during my military service I still find an unaltered SKS to be the most comfortable and natural rifle to handle and shoot. That being said, and while I'll always have a special place in my heart for my SKS rifles, I lean towards my AR for practical reasons.

My father in law passed down his old Remington 740 in 30.06. It's a short gun so fits my short arms as well as it's easy to run around in the brush with it. It's fairly light weight, however the semi-auto action seems to absorb some of the recoil so it doesn't leave a mark.

It was my preferred Kodiak, AK deer rifle. If a big brownie decided to charge, I could unload five rounds into it as fast as I could pull the trigger and it was balanced just right that after I ran out of rounds, I could flip it over and use it like a club.... In theory mind you.......

Would have to say #1 - AR rifles. Just so easy to use, and have enough time behind the trigger of one that they're a natural fit. Irons, optics - whatever. For shooters, I prefer A2 rifles - they just feel good and I like the iron sights. For a higher speed iteration, give me an A4 with slim free float handguard, an 18 or 20 inch barrel, ergo grip, and a Magpul stock and I'm happy. If I had to hump it around all day, I think I'd like an SBR with a 10 inch barrel, similarly outfitted, with a light electronic dot sight.

#2 - HK roller locked guns with the original diopter style sight. Make mine an HK91 plz.

#3 - the Marlin model 60.

Well no surprise here...
My .54 Hawken rifle is the most natural for me.
Its the rifle that I shoot best with and the loading , carrying and shooting of it , comes as second nature to me.
All that said...I shoot well with others...but my Hawken Rifle is my lead dispenser of choice...:D
Andy
DSC03373.jpg

DSC03374.jpg

Hawken.jpg

Competition rifle shooter for over 30 years. I have shot thousands of rounds in competition shooting M1 Garands and M1A.
The pistol grip of the AR fits me better and I shoot it better especially shooting offhand (standing). I like the Magpul K2
pistol grip has a more foreword angle. Magpul UBR Gen 1 adjustable stock allows for a good cheek weld on the stock.
I can shorten the stock for standing and sitting. Three inch forward offset scope mount.
DSC00157.JPG

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads