JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
whats interesting is I can understand an accident, like a boat accident or whatever... but how does one simply lose a rifle in the woods or while hunting?

whats interesting is I can understand an accident, like a boat accident or whatever... but how does one simply lose a rifle in the woods or while hunting?
the one lost in the blind? All I can figure is the guy walked out of the blind and had a heart attack or something and then it was recovered later? That one really threw me.

I knew of a guy who leaned a near new Realtree camo Remington against a tree while answering a call of nature, and after repositioning because he thought he heard people coming, could never find the rifle. No one else was actually around but he got spooked and moved. Rifle is probably still leaning on that tree!

I knew of a guy who leaned a near new Realtree camo Remington against a tree while answering a call of nature, and after repositioning because he thought he heard people coming, could never find the rifle. No one else was actually around but he got spooked and moved. Rifle is probably still leaning on that tree!
I had a camo 17 hmr for awhile and they are hard to find if you set them down and move away from them. Sold it and wish I hadn't, bought a Henry Varmint Express and the wife confiscated that. said it was too pretty to take out into the woods and beat up so she keeps it in mint unfired condition in a fluffy gun case?. Now I need to get another 17 hmr.

I hear about folks finding guns in the woods & always wonder how someone managed to forget they had a firearm with them. I haven't had a drink in 20 years but I don't think I've ever been drunk enough to forget I had a gun with me. I did a lot of things I WISH I could forget but losing a gun wasn't one of them. :)

All of my guns including a 500 lb safe were lost in a boating accident but I guess that's what happens when you put a chock full 25 gun safe in a Fold-a-boat & cross the Columbia River bar with them. With only one oar too.....

Last Edited:
I talked to a retired forest service guy out in sequim that said there had been some old rifles found in the woods on the Olympic peninsula. He said he always looked for them but was never fortunate enough to find any.
Can't remember why they were left up there,something military though.
And on the cammo,I decided to carry a bright had or glove to put on the barrel of my cammo Benelli if nature called,lol

One year my wife gave me a camo colored wallet. Sure enough, it fell out of my cargo pants while I was mowing the field behind the barn.
I spent over an hour looking for it, then I got smart and convinced my Doberman that she would get a special treat if she would help. Sure enough, she found it.
No one needs a camo wallet.

I found a old Moonshine set up way back when I was a teen! I got pretty spooked when I started looking it over as I was thinking it might have been used pretty recently. I went back to town and found the Ranger and he and I went back up to have a closer look. Sure enough we found 2 old Colt revolvers and a very beat up Winchester lever rifle! I have also heard of many shot guns falling out of boats. My grand dad took a shot gun away from some idiot bird hunter one time and tossed it in the river! That dude spent an entire season trying to find that shotgun!

Wasn't there an old Winchester lever-action found last year, and then displayed at a Ranger station - I bleeve it was Nevada somewhere...

Lemme look.

Ah, right..................

tac

If your meeting the call of nature, why would you separate from your firearm, that would be the most opportune time for the buck of a life time to come by and all you'd be able to do is wipe. TMO I know but my firearm stays with me while doin the business. Just sayin lol

Looks like the Weatherby took a big tumble. I suppose dropping your rifle off of a mountain, or down a cliff, would be an instance where retrieving would prove difficult.

Never really understood the cammo craze.
Having been in the Army I get why we used it then and there...
But I do think the cammo craze goes a little to far sometimes.
At a recent trip to a sporting goods store I spotted cammo underwear , knives , first aid kits and flashlights.

Unless you are sneaking around in someone else's bedroom , what's up with the cammo undies?
I would hate to drop my cammo knife.
If I need first aid , I want to see the kit right away.
And I would think the light being on would negate any use of the cammo for the flashlight.

Interesting article though.
Never found a rifle while hunting , but I have found a knife and ammo , at various times.
Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews