JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Have a WA CPL as well as OR.

Considering getting something bigger than a .44 Spec or .45 to keep in the car.

Question arises about having a loaded rifle (round chambered and full mag in place) in a vehicle. I looked at the RCW's but haven't found the answer yet.

I know I can have a pistol in the car loaded and concealed, but what about the rifle?

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
WWAC member

My understanding of Oregon law is that it must be in a locked case/compartment outside of the passenger/driver area of the vehicle. Unloaded. Usually, this means a locked trunk with the ammo or magazine out of the gun. I could be wrong, though, that's just the way I understood it.

it's considered a home. one reason why the licensing of a MH is almost 10 times what it is for a MV...

to be a home when parked. While on the road or temporarily stopped it's a motor vehicle just like a car. However the area behind the driver and out of reach is considered to be like that of the trunk. YMMV depending on the LEO's mood at the time and various state laws!

The license fee is done on a weight basis, nothing else.

Deen
2002 DSDP 4090 w/Banks kit (41' diesel pusher MH)
RV'ing since 1957
Charter Good Sam Life Member
FMCA f47302s
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

That's the one I was looking for!

So it's OK as long as the mag isn't in it and nothing in the chamber.

Maybe I'll get a pistol in .223/5.56 or 7.62X39 and call it good.

Deen
2002 DSDP 4090 w/Banks kit (41' diesel pusher MH)
RV'ing since 1957
Charter Good Sam Life Member
FMCA f47302s
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

Sounds like a perfect use for a Draco. Still, it might look too much like a rifle and cause you some troubles.

Keith

to buy a KelTec PLR-16 pistol off the board here but can't connect with the seller.

I also looked at a Draco and was considering getting one from a dealer on the board but they never answered a post I made so I guess they weren't interested.

Probably not a good idea anyway. Oh well, maybe I'll just keep the $$ as the MH needs new tires and that also requires new wheels (changing tire size too). Front tires are over $600 each so it's going to cost about $5000 overall.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

I also looked at a Draco and was considering getting one from a dealer on the board but they never answered a post I made so I guess they weren't interested.

I think I know which dealer you are refering to. If you can, call. Many folks don't or can't check their posts for days. Although I'm in 'standby' mode at work right now (I think I'm close to finding the end of the internet), there are many weeks where I can't check email, etc for long periods of time.

the MH needs new tires and that also requires new wheels (changing tire size too). Front tires are over $600 each so it's going to cost about $5000 overall.

What's an MH? Motorhome? If so, I got new ones on mine a few months ago from Schwab. A bit over $400 each for six (no tag axle fortunately). They are something on the order of 20 ply and rated for 5,000 lbs each. It sounds like you might have the larger bus sized tires though, and those are more expensive, but why do you need to change the tire size?

I carry a 9mm loaded in the coach, as well as three or four rifles, unloaded. I'm on the road, and those are some of the fun toys I carry, along with a bicycle, kayak and Ha solar telescope. Right now I have an Russian M91/30, a converted Saiga 12 and a WASR 10. The inventory changes from month to month. In a few months, I'll probably have rotated them out with my Garand, SVT and SAR-8.

Keith

to buy a KelTec PLR-16 pistol off the board here but can't connect with the seller.

Probably not a good idea anyway. Oh well, maybe I'll just keep the $$ as the MH needs new tires and that also requires new wheels (changing tire size too). Front tires are over $600 each so it's going to cost about $5000 overall.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

I think what you need is the reliability and everlasting quality of a SIG 556 pistol... Ok I admit that was a shameless plug. Seriously though, it is a heck of a 'pistol'.

SF-

oh yeah.... One last thing, SIG 556 sellers are prompt in returning comms. Another shameless plug.

What's an MH? Motorhome? If so, I got new ones on mine a few months ago from Schwab. A bit over $400 each for six (no tag axle fortunately). They are something on the order of 20 ply and rated for 5,000 lbs each. It sounds like you might have the larger bus sized tires though, and those are more expensive, but why do you need to change the tire size?

Keith

MH came with a 12,000# front axle and a 20,000 # rear. The unit weighed 12,050 on the front when it was delivered. After some negotiation and evaluation they had me drive the unit to the Spartan factory where the front axle was replaced with a 14,600# unit but they left the stock 275/70 22.5 tires which limit the load to only 13,200#'s. If I replace the tires with 305/70's I can use the full capacity of the axle. Due to wheel well size I can't use the 275/80's or the 295/80's and the only tire that fits with a high enough load limit is the 305. Those tires require a wider rim and as long as I'm at it I might as well got the alum rims.

I usually carry a Taurus PT-145 on me, one in the safe beside the drivers seat a shotgun (loaded) in the back and the KT SU-16 (loaded).

Deen
RV'ing since 1957
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
WWAC member

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR