JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A WA resident can purchase a long gun from a OR FFL. (Saves sales tax but you must pay the $10 background check)
A OR resident can purchase a long gun from a WA FFL. (No sales tax to OR buyers and WA doesn't charge a background check fee)

but not the answers the OP was asking for.

Guess I missunderstood the question. :confused: Is the goal for a WA resident to buy a gun online and have it shipped to an OR FFL where the final paperwork is to be done?

I would think the answer is yes, since as I stated, a WA resident can use an OR FFL to purchase a long gun. Why would it matter to the guy in IN (or wherever) care if he sends it to OR or WA? The OR FFL meets the requirements for shipping purposes and then the WA resident can purchase from the OR FFL.

Guess I missunderstood the question. :confused: Is the goal for a WA resident to buy a gun online and have it shipped to an OR FFL where the final paperwork is to be done?

I would think the answer is yes, since as I stated, a WA resident can use an OR FFL to purchase a long gun. Why would it matter to the guy in IN (or wherever) care if he sends it to OR or WA? The OR FFL meets the requirements for shipping purposes and then the WA resident can purchase from the OR FFL.

"Kimber Custom" thank you for the reply!!!

Yes...the goal is to have a WA resident purchase a gun online and have it shipped to an OR FFL and then have it transferred to the WA resident.

Did not know that an OR resident can purchase a long gun from a WA FFL and be sales tax exempt...hmmm. I guess this sales tax exemption goes for FFL transfers also then...correct?

"Kimber Custom" thank you for the reply!!!

Yes...the goal is to have a WA resident purchase a gun online and have it shipped to an OR FFL and then have it transferred to the WA resident.

Did not know that an OR resident can purchase a long gun from a WA FFL and be sales tax exempt...hmmm. I guess this sales tax exemption goes for FFL transfers also then...correct?

WA extends a huge courtesy to OR buyers by exempting them from sales tax (a travisty IMO but I digress). I find it ironic that it is cheaper for WA residents to buy from an OR dealer and vice versa.

I don't see why a WA resident couldn't have a long gun shipped to an OR FFL and go home with his new rifle/shotgun. The OR FFL will charge between $25-$35 for the service +$10 for the background check.

If you are buying on line you can have it shipped to a WA FFL and not pay tax. Some FFLs do charge tax but others do not. I have bought 3 long guns via the internet and had all of them shipped to a WA FFL with no tax.

Just search for the thread does your WA FFL charge sales tax. It is a few pages of reading but might shed a little info on the situation.

i think our queen here in wa. has put a stop to wa. ffl's not collecting tax from wa. residents. but is still nice to the or. folks (word is she has much family their) probably a nice ride in the limmo also on our $.

Of course you know that after buying your rifle in OR and returning home to WA you are required by state law to report your purchase to the dept of revenue and pay the " use tax " which is the same amount as sales tax would have been. This is the tax the state is requiring ffl dealers to collect on out of state transfers. Also the exemption from WA sales tax to OR residents is optional for the retailer and requires a little paperwork and record keeping. Most will do it for a major purchase.

Of course you know that after buying your rifle in OR and returning home to WA you are required by state law to report your purchase to the dept of revenue and pay the " use tax " which is the same amount as sales tax would have been. .....

Yes...I am fully aware. Also, I think this holds true for ALL out of state purchase where tax was not withheld....like stuff bought from Newegg, Adorama, B&H, buy.com, etc.

This tax thing just plain SUCKS! Like I said I have had a few good dealings with transfers with WA FFLs. Also there are some who do collect the @&#!.

I am just venting as I own a business in Or and live in WA. I have to pay WA tax on my vehicle as I might use it for personal reasons. Also can vote in WA but also have to pay the OR taxes but can not vote:( I am just tired of everyone wanting there share of the pie:s0114:

This tax thing just plain SUCKS! Like I said I have had a few good dealings with transfers with WA FFLs. Also there are some who do collect the @&#!.

I am just venting as I own a business in Or and live in WA. I have to pay WA tax on my vehicle as I might use it for personal reasons. Also can vote in WA but also have to pay the OR taxes but can not vote:( I am just tired of everyone wanting there share of the pie:s0114:

I agree fully...as someone who works in Oregon and lives in Washington I am getting tired of the over tax over tax attitude and then the legal beagles say "it's your duty" ....ummm kind of tired and sick of the Caesars draining us for everything at every port ...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top