JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How do you feel about Hawkins
My favorite rifle is my Hawken Rifle Copy .
Its in .54 caliber and taken :
Grouse , Deer , Antelope , Elk and Black Bear.
I shoot it a lot.... :D
Hawken.jpg

With all that said...
Many rifles are marketed as a Hawken Rifle but are only a" Hawken Rifle" in name only and bear little to no resemblance to any actual historic Hawken Rifle.
Andy

I was thinking so. The 72 in your handle was a clue.

Walking in the rain picking mushrooms, so 70s psychedelic... and the old joke 'if you remember the 70's you weren't really there.'

Lol I just couldn't resist. 🤣
That's what I hear about the 70s and that was a good laugh about rain and mushrooms

My favorite rifle is my Hawken Rifle Copy .
Its in .54 caliber and taken :
Grouse , Deer , Antelope , Elk and Black Bear.
I shoot it a lot.... :D
View attachment 880555

With all that said...
Many rifles are marketed as a Hawken Rifle but are only a" Hawken Rifle" in name only and bear little to no resemblance to any actual historic Hawken Rifle.
Andy
How can you tell a true Hawkens

A well known Gresham gun smith butchered the beautiful wood stock on my S&W (Howa) 1500 in .30-06 while supposedly free-floating it. I have all the pieces and materials to pillar bed the stock and properly free-float it, but in the meantime I stumbled across a used Hogue over-molded synthetic stock with an aluminum backbone and pillar bedding. Doesn't look quite as pretty as the original wood, but accuracy is great and it doesn't look bad at all.
S&W1500 - 3.jpg

How can you tell a true Hawkens
Well if you want the real deal....
Buy one from the Hawken Shop in Oak Harbor Wa.
They have the rights to the name and make a rifle that is historically accurate...'cause its a real Hawken Rifle.

To say what makes a "true Hawken " Rifle would take up many pages in this thread.
As a Hawken Rifle of the late 1830's would appear different than one from the 1860's.

It is easier to say that a Hawken Rifle never looked like any of the Thompson Center "Hawken Rifles" or any of the copies of those by CVA , Investarms , Traditions , etc....
Andy

A well known Gresham gun smith butchered the beautiful wood stock on my S&W (Howa) 1500 in .30-06 while supposedly free-floating it. I have all the pieces and materials to pillar bed the stock and properly free-float it, but in the meantime I stumbled across a used Hogue over-molded synthetic stock with an aluminum backbone and pillar bedding. Doesn't look quite as pretty as the original wood, but accuracy is great and it doesn't look bad at all.
Sorry to hear that you're stock was butchered and I have not really looked at any stocks that are not wooden I am sure that they have came a long way and it's always about what each person likes

Well if you want the real deal....
Buy one from the Hawken Shop in Oak Harbor Wa.
They have the rights to the name and make a rifle that is historically accurate...'cause its a real Hawken Rifle.

To say what makes a "true Hawken " Rifle would take up many pages in this thread.
As a Hawken Rifle of the late 1830's would appear different than one from the 1860's.

It is easier to say that a Hawken Rifle never looked like any of the Thompson Center "Hawken Rifles" or any of the copies of those by CVA , Investarms , Traditions , etc....
Andy
Thank you for the knowledge

I was thinking so. The 72 in your handle was a clue.

Walking in the rain picking mushrooms, so 70s psychedelic... and the old joke 'if you remember the 70's you weren't really there.'

Lol I just couldn't resist. 🤣
I was THERE! And I remember a LOT of it. Ahhh, fond memories abound. It's what I had for supper last night. Or were I went two days ago I forgot!

Seems I've always sorta been a blued steel and walnut gun owner. Most likely from the first rifles we had when we were kids. It was a "mortal sin" to own a Red Rider with anything but the wood stock and forearm. My very first .22 rifle, which I still have, is "bland walnut" and blued steel:
2yknTVb.jpg
Winchester Model 67A, that now sports an optic so I can at least identify what I'm shooting at.
I've tried hunting during our severely cold deer seasons up here with a synthetic stock. The cold steel transmits right through the plastic stock and into the top of my legs as I sit, teeth chattering, lookin' for a whitetail.

Seems I've always sorta been a blued steel and walnut gun owner. Most likely from the first rifles we had when we were kids. It was a "mortal sin" to own a Red Rider with anything but the wood stock and forearm. My very first .22 rifle, which I still have, is "bland walnut" and blued steel:
View attachment 886462
Winchester Model 67A, that now sports an optic so I can at least identify what I'm shooting at.
I've tried hunting during our severely cold deer seasons up here with a synthetic stock. The cold steel transmits right through the plastic stock and into the top of my legs as I sit, teeth chattering, lookin' for a whitetail.
I am addicted to walnut stocks and blued steel they look better and feel better but that's just me

I hunt with a VZ 24 Mauser action that's received a new 7 mm Mauser barrel from Krieger and stocked in AA grade juglans regia. The wood has been sealed completely, even behind the curved steel butt-plate to resist moisture ingress:

qeDQuvp.jpg
3GmTTcg.jpg
G1xcCxz.jpg

This rifle has accompanied me during some wet snowy deer season around here and never failed to do its job.

What did you seal it with?
I cant speak for the gunsmith but I sealed mine similarly with tung oil inside and out including inside the mounting screw holes. The tung oil has held up well over the last 4 years of hunting weather I just touched it up again for another 4, easy to apply and leaves a beautiful gloss finish or you can buff it to a matte or flat finish.

One of my friend's father-in-law gave him a beautiful perfect gloss finished Weatherby. He hated to hunt with it because it was so beautiful and he worried about damaging the finish one scratch on it would stand out like a sore thumb. To him, a hunting rifle is a tool so out of frustration he sanded the finish off and applied an oil finish so he would not have to worry about it anymore.

Wood is beautiful on a hunting rifle and sometimes there are stories behind the wear and tear on them but they are heavy, costs more, and impractical when there is a lighter cheaper more practical option.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads