JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like both. Synthetics are mostly more practical, but a good wood or laminate stock sure is pretty, and they are functional as well. One thing I don't find much use for now is the plain, semi-ugly wood stock. If it's gonna be homely I want a good quality synthetic.
I have seen a few rifles that are just plain ugly but it doesn't take much to liven them up I am waiting for the weather here to get dry so I can get started on a wooden stock that needs some attention

Definitely in the wood stock camp. Synthetic stocks do nothing for me, though we've got a couple long arms so clad. But to each their own.
So am I all of my rifles and all but 1 shot guns are wood I have 1 12 gauge that is synthetic but it's a home defense gun with a 18 and half inch barrel

I have noticed over the past several years that most rifles are being offered with synthetic stocks and I myself prefer wooden stocks I am just wondering how many people prefer wooden over synthetic
I like the look of wood over synthetic.
It just depends on the availability of stock or furniture for the type of firearm Im outfitting.

All my rifles are hunting rifles and all have wood stocks. Nothing against synthetic stocks but really prefer wood. My "newest" rifle is from the early to mid 70's, and most are decades older.
I don't have any super old rifles my oldest that I know for sure is a pear of Savage 99's one in 250 and the other is a 300

The gun I hunted with mostly is a stainless 77MKII. It came in the boat paddle stock that was quickly switched out for a Hogue overmolded. It seemed to make sense because many days I would pour water out of the stock at the end of the day. I liked the looks, too. I had it's twin in a green Hogue that I really liked.
View attachment 880210View attachment 880211View attachment 880215
But then I got a hankerin for an old '70. It's stock was a bit rough so I found a nicer one.
View attachment 880213View attachment 880214
Ruger came out with a new "Hunter" and I got all drooly looking at the wood stock. Placed an order with Boyd's for my '06. I like it and think it'll stay in the wood.

View attachment 880222
it won't be the first wood stock to get wet and survive.
You have some fine looking rifles

Wood stocks for me....
As for wet weather....a little beeswax / bear grease / deer tallow on the stock works wonders for keeping the wet out.
'Course what else would you expect from a guy who shoots and hunts with these and others like them..? :D
Andy
Hawken.jpg

DSC06814.jpg

DSC06557.jpg

Wood stocks for me....
As for wet weather....a little beeswax / bear grease / deer tallow on the stock works wonders for keeping the wet out.
'Course what else would you expect from a guy who shoots and hunts with these and others like them..? :D
Andy
View attachment 880508

View attachment 880509

View attachment 880510
I have never owned or fired one of those but I have been thinking about looking into a smoke pole. And you have some fine looking flint locks

I have never owned or fired one of those but I have been thinking about looking into a smoke pole. And you have some fine looking flint locks
Thank you...
The middle rifle is a original J.Henry Trade Rifle .58 caliber , circa 1800 - 1820's...
I used it , to take the last elk I got.

The bottom gun is a G.Laloux , 20 gauge fowler....G. Laloux's company made guns from 1834 - 1920.
This fowler has gotten grouse and many a clay bird for me.

Flintlocks are fun to shoot and hunt with for sure.
Andy

Thank you...
The middle rifle is a original J.Henry Trade Rifle .58 caliber , circa 1800 - 1820's...
I used it , to take the last elk I got.

The bottom gun is a G.Laloux , 20 gauge fowler....G. Laloux's company made guns from 1834 - 1920.
This fowler has gotten grouse and many a clay bird for me.

Flintlocks are fun to shoot and hunt with for sure.
Andy
I have a friend who has been trying to get me into flint locks but I don't ever seem to have the time I work construction and I am a foreman so free time is rare

I have a friend who has been trying to get me into flint locks but I don't ever seem to have the time I work construction and I am a foreman so free time is rare
Pesky work gettin' in way of fun... :D

If you get a flintlock....I would suggest that you get custom gun...as many off the shelf production models use a coil main spring , instead of a leaf spring...and have poorly hardened frizzens....
Andy

I was thinking so. The 72 in your handle was a clue.

Walking in the rain picking mushrooms, so 70s psychedelic... and the old joke 'if you remember the 70's you weren't really there.'

Lol I just couldn't resist. 🤣

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads