JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am in need of some help in finding a good scope for deer and elk hunting. It will be mounted on a Remington 700 win. 300 mag. I am not looking to spend a ton of money. I know there are lots of good names out there, and I have looked at several. I have never purchased a scope before, my old hunting rifle had a Leupold, and it was great. Most of my hunting will be Eastern OR., however I may hunt this side as well. I was thinking about a Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40 mm. What I am not sure about is if the recoil is too strong with the win. 300 mag for this type of scope. From what I have read with the higher powered rifles, quality is key if you want to be accurate. Any information or advise would be great. My price range is under $200 - unless thats not possible, I may have to reconsider my choice in rifles.

Thanks....

You can get a brand new Nikon Prostaff for 125.00 on Ebay if you look. Some Walmarts have them for 150.00. I've not compared it with the Nikon but others who have say it's the equal of the Leupold. Warranty is life for whoever owns it.

i have a nikon prostaff for $125 shipped mounted but never fired 3x9x40 matt duplex its a great scope i got 2 of em and very clear

how ever you can not go wrong with any leupold made in oregon made to last and garanteed to do so my friend uses a VX2 on his 7mm magnum and he is a dead shot with that on it but it will cost you over $200

best bet would be VX2 IMO best all around scope for the money and suited for .300

Go with the standard Leupold 3-9x40 mm. I've used them for years on my higher recoiling rifles. You will not be disappointed. If you go cheap you will get what you pay for.

I have been using a Leupold VX1 3-9 x 40 on my .300 weatherby for several years now without any problems. If it can handle the .300 weatherby it will handle a .300 win. For my money you can't go wrong with leupold. Plus they are made in Oregon.

Bushnell banner 6-18x50, i have a handfull of these scoped mounted on everything from 17hmr to 300 ultra mag and have never had a problem. They are very nice scopes and for 150. Also ive shot under .5 groups at 100 yards with this scope.

theres no need for a $1000 scope unless your really really hard on your rifle/scopes.

I would go with the Nikon Prostaff as the best deal for the money. For just a bit more you can get a Burris Fullfield. Compare those scopes to Leupold. They are all three great scopes. You won't even consider a Bushnell after looking through something clearer.

I have a nightforce for my 24inch RRA EOP Varmint if rock rivers ever sends me my order.

I know what you mean by clear but the banner just tickles me. Theres also a ilumanted 4-16x40 AO that i have my eye on for the 22 mag and mini 14 ranch. I have the 6-18x50 banner on a 300 ultra mag and have 500+ rounds on it and have had no problem. And on a 17hmr, 223, 243,7x57 mauser and soon to be DPMS sweet 20 upper. I dont know ive smashed them and thrashed them and no movement of zero driven 40 down washboard with them in hard case's in the truck bed and still good to go(and i only take head shots). Why spend all your money on scopes when you could use that money to build your gun collection before you cant...

Also check out the bushnell elite 6500 they have a extreame range of zoom like
4-30x50 and they have raingaurd whitch is a must for oregon in the winter and fall.

Thanks for all of your help. I am glad I decide to ask, instead of going it on my own. Looks like I need to go spend some looking thru some scopes before I make a decision. I have plenty of time, and scopes aren't going anywhere. I think I am going to look at some of the cheaper scopes before I buy another Leupold, as my teenage son will be using this rifle as well.

Last Edited:
Do take the time to look through them. The Nikon, Leupold and Burris will be significantly more clear. At 100 yards these will let you see the target sharp and clear. I had a Bushnel and was sitting next to two guys, one with a Nikon and the other a Leupold. They told me to look through their scopes. It was immediately obvious the superiority of their scopes to the Bushnell trophy. Google to see what others say about these scopes as there's plenty of info out there.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top