JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for a new air rifle. I've had pump rifles before, but now I'm looking for something a little more robust. I've been looking around at a variety of models and I've seen some product reviews, but I'd like to throw the question out here. Here's what I'm looking for to give you a framework:

* .22 cal (I've already got a .177)
* Break-barrel type
* Nitro piston
* Decent iron/stock sights (doesn't matter if it comes with a scope or not, though a rail would be nice)
* Wood or composite stock (though I'm not really looking for camo)
* Preferably under 1,200 fps
* Under $300, under $250 is a bonus

I've been looking at Hatsan, Benjamin Trail (I like the style) and some others. Reviews seem to be mixed on all of them. Since I don't currently have $450 + for a Benjamin Marauder, I'll need to take a step down. I won't be hunting with this, but I may occasionally go after some vermin, primarily, it will be for target shooting/plinking.

So, any recommendations? I'd prefer first person recommendations from those who have actually used them.

Thanks!

Crosman Nitro Venom Air Rifle
$159

Nitro piston. Break barrel. 22 cal. No sights but has rail for a scope.
I have one. Very nice. Really nice wood in the stock. Even though I got the Venom 4 months ago and only fired it maybe 100 times, it sits in the closet now that I have the Benjamin Maurader. Too bad you don't live in Seattle - I'd sell it to you if you did.

Thanks for the recommend, I appreciate the info. That would be nice if we lived a little closer together, but alas, I'm down south of Portland.

I had a guy on another forum also recommend the Benjamin Trail NP, so I'm looking at that one as well.

I had a Benjamin Trail in 22.
it shot 100-150fps slower than advertised had a crappy trigger and wasn't all that accurate.
out of the 6 different pellets I tried the only ones that did ok were the JSB 16gr.
they would hold 1.5" five shot group at 20 yards at 700fps at the muzzle.

hope this helps

I had a Benjamin Trail in 22.
it shot 100-150fps slower than advertised had a crappy trigger and wasn't all that accurate.
out of the 6 different pellets I tried the only ones that did ok were the JSB 16gr.
they would hold 1.5" five shot group at 20 yards at 700fps at the muzzle.

hope this helps

I've been reading reviews on various sites, and it seems, overall to be very highly rated. That said, it sounds like some folks get a lemon from time to time. As for the trigger, that seems to be something that everyone is in 100% agreement on. Most, however, recommend a trigger job using a Charlie Da Tuna trigger, which apparently is a huge improvement. If it were only doing 700fps, I would probably return it, thinking there was something wrong with the gun. Many reviews indicate they are getting close to the advertised speed with the right pellets.

Thanks for your input.

My dad recently bought a Gamo Whisper VH. I like it a lot. It meets what you ask but it's .177. They just came out with a .22 though. It's in your price range. it is well built, accurate, fun.

My dad recently bought a Gamo Whisper VH. I like it a lot. It meets what you ask but it's .177. They just came out with a .22 though. It's in your price range. it is well built, accurate, fun.

I've looked at the Gamo's, but not closely yet. Just curious, since I'll be shooting this at home as well, how loud is his model? I know they call it 'Whisper', I'm just curious how true that is.

Thanks for the response.

Preferably less than 1200fps in a .22 for less than $250? That's easy.. any of them.
Show me one .22 piston that goes over 1200.

You asked for one example, I do know of one:

Umarex Octane (gas piston, .22 cal): 1,250 FPS - $219.95 on PyramidAir

After doing more reviews (since I first posted this thread), I can see that they typically stay at or below about 1,000 FPS at .22 cal for the lower priced models - something I didn't yet know when I posted my question. Though there are a number, such as the Ruger Air Magnum and Stoeger Arms X50 that are $250 or less and are advertised right at 1,200 FPS.

I would personally do everything in my power to stay away from gamo. I know that they sell millions of air rifles... I believe this is due more to price point than quality. Take that or leave it. I think you were on the right track with the trail or hatsan. There is a great site for used air rifles if price is an issue. Network 54 yellowpages. I got a custom crosman co2 air rifle for $210. The original purchaser put about $350 and 8 hours into it. It shoots between 600 and 700 fps but puts pellets hole in hole at 30+ yards. You can make your own at crosmancustom.com. I also have a Hammerli pneuma pcp air rifle (hatsan makes a very similar gun). Awsome gun! I wanted a marauder as well but decided to save some $$. I really like the two guns I have but still want the marauder.

1 + for the trail is that it is super comon and I would think that you can trick it out pretty easily or get repair parts. I have a nephew w/ a gamo that they finally gave up trying to find parts for. Sorry I couldn't resist another dig on gamo: )

good luck

I would personally do everything in my power to stay away from gamo. I know that they sell millions of air rifles... I believe this is due more to price point than quality. Take that or leave it. I think you were on the right track with the trail or hatsan. There is a great site for used air rifles if price is an issue. Network 54 yellowpages. I got a custom crosman co2 air rifle for $210. The original purchaser put about $350 and 8 hours into it. It shoots between 600 and 700 fps but puts pellets hole in hole at 30+ yards. You can make your own at crosmancustom.com. I also have a Hammerli pneuma pcp air rifle (hatsan makes a very similar gun). Awsome gun! I wanted a marauder as well but decided to save some $$. I really like the two guns I have but still want the marauder.

1 + for the trail is that it is super comon and I would think that you can trick it out pretty easily or get repair parts. I have a nephew w/ a gamo that they finally gave up trying to find parts for. Sorry I couldn't resist another dig on gamo: )

good luck

I've pretty much already passed on the Gamo models. I'm sure they're fine for a low price plinker, but I want something that will be more reliable, something I can depend on for years of use. I agree, I don't think Gamo is the product. The reviews are consistently good on the Trail and Trail XP as well as the Hatsan models. From what I've gathered, any included scopes should be considered marginal at best. I also know that on the Trail models, most consider the trigger to be junk, but an upgrade to the Charlie Da Tuna GRTIII trigger is a vast improvement.

I think for accuracy, reliability and power, it's hard to beat either the Trail or the Hatsan. Now I just have to decide which. I will say one thing that the Trail XP has over the Hatsan is that I love the look of the wood stock on the Trail over the stock on the Hatsan.

I'll check out the sites you mention, I was not aware of either of them.

Thanks for the info and the opinions wollow.

I have two for you. The first is not exactly what you asked, but in a direction similar to others, the second should be right up your alley.

I'm a PCP fan (the air rifles, not the 'dust), and recently picked up a Benjamin Discovery in .22. According to the ad copy, it is supposed to run about 850 fps, but mine ($259 from Pyramid) is about 960 fps on my Chrony w/ 13.6g round nose, and was shooting about 1/2 inch with iron sights at 50' out of the box. Is has a dovetail, and I'll put a scope on it soon, but I think that price is a limited time offer. The standard package is about $500, but comes with a pump.

I agree that if you don't already have a fill system, it is probably out of your price range, but if you're looking toward more serious airguns, PCP is the way to go.

OK; said that.

Directly in answer to your question, about a year ago I bought a Stoeger X20s in .22, and I like it a lot too. For $200, it comes with a decent scope with optional illuminated retical. Out of the box the scope on mine was way (waaaayyy) off, and the break-barrel O-ring was damaged.

Upon report to them, Pyramid sent a new O-ring (overnight) at no charge, and it took me about two dozen rounds to get the scope sorted. When I started, it was shooting 16g wadcutters at about 900fps with 1/2 inch three-round-groups (at 50 feet). after one cleaning, a couple of oilings, and about 500 rounds (ie. break in), the best groups are 13g hollow points at fifty feet, running 1100fps with groups under 1/4".

And it is reasonably quiet.

For an entry level .22, The Stoeger gets my vote all the way across. It has the power for small game up to raccoon size, is reasonably quiet, and mine is accurate (1.5" groups from a rest) out to 75 yards.

I hope it helps.

I have two for you. The first is not exactly what you asked, but in a direction similar to others, the second should be right up your alley.

I'm a PCP fan (the air rifles, not the 'dust), and recently picked up a Benjamin Discovery in .22. According to the ad copy, it is supposed to run about 850 fps, but mine ($259 from Pyramid) is about 960 fps on my Chrony w/ 13.6g round nose, and was shooting about 1/2 inch with iron sights at 50' out of the box. Is has a dovetail, and I'll put a scope on it soon, but I think that price is a limited time offer. The standard package is about $500, but comes with a pump.

I agree that if you don't already have a fill system, it is probably out of your price range, but if you're looking toward more serious airguns, PCP is the way to go.

OK; said that.

Directly in answer to your question, about a year ago I bought a Stoeger X20s in .22, and I like it a lot too. For $200, it comes with a decent scope with optional illuminated retical. Out of the box the scope on mine was way (waaaayyy) off, and the break-barrel O-ring was damaged.

Upon report to them, Pyramid sent a new O-ring (overnight) at no charge, and it took me about two dozen rounds to get the scope sorted. When I started, it was shooting 16g wadcutters at about 900fps with 1/2 inch three-round-groups (at 50 feet). after one cleaning, a couple of oilings, and about 500 rounds (ie. break in), the best groups are 13g hollow points at fifty feet, running 1100fps with groups under 1/4".

And it is reasonably quiet.

For an entry level .22, The Stoeger gets my vote all the way across. It has the power for small game up to raccoon size, is reasonably quiet, and mine is accurate (1.5" groups from a rest) out to 75 yards.

I hope it helps.

I think a PCP will be in my future, just not yet. Impressive rifles, though. I've been looking at the Benjamin Marauder, just not ready to drop $500+ on an air rifle (yet). And those AirForce Condors look pretty sweet too.

You're the first to suggest a Stoeger, though I have looked at them. I'll give them a second look again. I'm getting close to choosing the Hatsan 125 or the Umarex Octane. I had been looking closely at the Benjamin Trail XP, but it doesn't have regular sights, only a scope. For my shooting, having regular sights can be important, so that will be a factor. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll be sure to give the Stoeger a closer look.

I'm looking for a Stoeger ATAC suppressed. I've found them in .177 at Sportsmans Warehouse but haven't seen a .22 yet. It is supposed to have a better scope and be slightly better built than the X20 but the stock is more tactical and may not interest you.

Let me know if anyone finds somewhere with the .22 ATAC in stock in the Portland or Salem area.

I'm looking for a Stoeger ATAC suppressed. I've found them in .177 at Sportsmans Warehouse but haven't seen a .22 yet. It is supposed to have a better scope and be slightly better built than the X20 but the stock is more tactical and may not interest you.

Let me know if anyone finds somewhere with the .22 ATAC in stock in the Portland or Salem area.

I haven't looked at that one myself. Sounds like another one to look in to. I see that Pyramidair.com does sell them, though they are currently out of stock.

Can anyone comment on the loudness of the Stoeger ATAC versus a Benjamin Trail NP XL? Or the X20 Suppressed if not the ATAC?

I'm leaning toward the Benjamin and then putting money in to a Charlie Da Tuna trigger and maybe a better scope. It looks like the Benjamin shroud does not have baffles to be a proper suppresor but may act as a suppressor capturing some of the gasses.

I want something I can shoot quietly off the back deck though without drawing a lot of attention from the neighbors.
I'll mostly be shooting targets, but I'd like a .22 to have something heavier than a .177 as I may pick off some of the critters foraging on my pear and apple trees.