JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Since I'll be back home soon (hopefully), I'm going to be looking into taking a class or two in the ways of combat utilizing a pistol or rifle. I'd like something along the lines of what Tactical Response or Valor Ridge out in Tennessee, but naturally those are a bit far. Is there anyone in Oregon or Washington that offers classes of a similar nature? The crazier the world gets, the more practical this becomes.

To be clear, I'm looking for dynamic classes, not static "just shoot at the target from your lane" types of classes.

Any suggestions or personal experiences would be great.

I was wondering if there are any law enforcement or ex military experienced in combat technique that would be willing to volunteer some group training for concealed carry and home protection. I know there are schools but a $400-$500 fee for a two day course plus 400 to 700 rounds puts it out of reach for a lot of us. I am sure there are those who would be willing to travel a couple hundred miles for some affordable instruction. At least a couple of Sheriffs have asked those who posses cc licenses to carry since the Paris and Calif. terrorist attacks. One or two armed and competent civilian shooters could prevent a massacre.

Thunder Ranch http://www.thunderranchinc.com in Lakeview, OR. I just took their mid-range rifle and defensive handgun. They were awesome! Clint and his instructors are so amazing and have the right balance of keeping you on track but not treating you like you're in the army.

If you want to go up north check out Steve McDaniel at Alaska Tactical
http://www.alaskatactical.com.
Steve was one of the instructors for both of those classes and has his own school in Anchorage. Great instructor and all around nice guy / bad a$$! :)

http://oregonfirearmsacademy.com/

Oregon Firearms Academy. On occasion you will find them hosting a class at the Tri-Counties Gun Club. Beyond that, they have some excellent classes as well.

Their Defensive Handgun 1 course is only $125 with the 2nd level of the course being $250. Additionally, they offer courses in long guns and shotguns.

Sodbuster

Seattle Firearms Academy is good and have quite a variety of classes. 2 day classes for around $385.

Sword International comes to PDX a couple times a year. it's about $350 for a 2 day class.
<broken link removed>

Check out Soconusa.com as well.

There is quite a bit of training in the PDX area that isn't advertised, by some of the highest level BAMFs in the world. Delta, Seals, Rangers, Marsoc, take your pick. It's a matter of connecting with the groups that are hosting it.

Forgot Glenn...http://www.immediateactionconcepts.com/
I've taken a class from him as well. $150 for a 1 day class. Well worth the money.

Last Edited:
I was wondering if there are any law enforcement or ex military experienced in combat technique that would be willing to volunteer some group training for concealed carry and home protection. I know there are schools but a $400-$500 fee for a two day course plus 400 to 700 rounds puts it out of reach for a lot of us. I am sure there are those who would be willing to travel a couple hundred miles for some affordable instruction. At least a couple of Sheriffs have asked those who posses cc licenses to carry since the Paris and Calif. terrorist attacks. One or two armed and competent civilian shooters could prevent a massacre.

If your in Oregon I could help you out.

Oregon Firearms Academy in Brownsville: http://www.oregonfirearmsacademy.com/.

Since you have your location as earth, and your screen name indicates you live in the cascades, you make it rather tough for people to help you out much when it comes to where you would like to attend a class. There are a lot of ex spooks and secret squirrels out near Black Butte if you're one of them!

I was wondering if there are any law enforcement or ex military experienced in combat technique that would be willing to volunteer some group training for concealed carry and home protection. I know there are schools but a $400-$500 fee for a two day course plus 400 to 700 rounds puts it out of reach for a lot of us.

Understood, and I sympathize. But with all due respect, you need to find the money to train. Volunteering is all well and good, until you volunteer yourself out of business. I volunteer a great deal of my time- WA Hunter Education, political activism on the 2nd Amendment front, Safari Club of SW Washington, Clark County Dive Rescue Team, and hopefully soon as a part time trainer for Clark Co Sheriff's Office. But one has bills to pay. These types of training can only be made available if people are willing to prioritize them by putting their money where their mouth is. Volunteer instructors will have a hard time maintaining the kind of proficiency you're talking about too.

Venues to do realistic training are few and far between, and they cost a LOT of money to rent or buy. Even BASIC live fire practice is hard to fit into the schedule of public or private non-profit ranges. Some non-profits won't allow any classes that have a an entry fee. Insurance for instructors costs money- and anybody who will take on instructing unknown folks without instructor's insurance is not a person whose judgement you should trust as a student. A great deal of your training needs a solid risk management focus. As a member of the Association of Defensive Shooting instructors, I firmly believe in one of the tenets there: The benefit to students of any particular technique or training exercise MUST outweigh the risks. This takes time and experience to assess and plan exercises with risk mitigation factors built in. It's not as easy as "Let's go out to the woods and do some REAL combat training."

Round count is not everything, either.

A lot of folks know me on here and would put something together for a group. I've done it twice on here before with no negative comments. Ask forum owner Joe, he attended the first one.

I also put on a rifle course for folks wanting to learn how to run their AR's

Am not a Chris Costa run and gun guy, but I know how to push students to gain knowledge and potential.

Cost? Just my gas and lunch...and I'm happy. Not enough folks willing to help out others gain knowledge and experience. Fortunately I've been around some folks who did the same for me and asked to pay it forward when I get the chance.

But be forewarned, I don't run and slide under vehicles or shoot standing on my head while sucking popcicles.

Been in too many scrapes to know the reality of such things. Sadly some of what is being taught at some schools is downright dangerous.

Quoting a good friend in the instruction biz...some people don't know, what they don't know. Concerning such tjings...I still find it odd that people's bs detectors are so broken.

Ha, TR... After seeing a vid from last year when they were in Spokane, no way in hell I'd ever take one of their classes. I'm very surprised someone, namely an instructor, hasn't been killed there yet.

@SCARed

Have you ever taken a class from TR? How would you know how safe or unsafe it is? You can watch all the videos you want but until you try something for your self it is unrealistic to make judgments.

Don't knock it till you try it. Just my:s0159:

Anyone else's out there going?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews