Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Rifle / Pistol Cleaning

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Capn Jack, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I just finished hosing down my AR's with brake cleaner and then finished off with a liberal coat of Hoppe's #9, inside and out.:thumbup:

As I was wiping them down with an old oily t-shirt before returning them to the safe, I had to laugh as I thought of Larry Potterfield and the surgical procedures he shows on
    TV for cleaning guns.:laugh:

Jack...:cool:

2. safetyman

safetyman Clark County, WA Active Member

I take a more hands-on approach to cleaning my guns, but if that works for you I don't have anything against it. Maybe I should try that some time...it would save me a good bit of time :D.

3. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

You can do a lot to an AR that you maybe wouldn't want to do to your $1500.00 Kimber! One thing for sure! There isn't much on this planet that BrakeKleen can't remove!

4. Capn Jack

I'll have to admit, AR's are the dirtiest rifles I've ever owned, but spray brake cleaner and the handle end of a cleaning rod (Pinned to not rotate) with a chamber brush, make things a lot easier. :thumbup:

Oh, I forgot to mention, I wrap my scope in an old dish towel before I start any spraying.;)

5. longcolt

longcolt Zephyrhills, FL Active Member

I think you have to be careful what you spray brake cleaner on, it can change the color and remove moisture from wood stocks. Me, I just use shooters choice to clean and CLR to lube. Not a dunk the glock in the bucket kind of guy. I take the time and do it right.

But if it works for you then I support you 100%. I tend to be super fussy when it comes to taking care of my guns. OCD I guess.

6. IheartGUNS

IheartGUNS WaCo Well-Known Member

red or green can?

7. Capn Jack

I think it's a Black (Dark) colored can. I'd go look, but I just finished locking everything up.

I bought two cases of it at my friendly NAPA dealer and gave one to my brother for his birthday.