Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

rifle options for daughter

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by blitz, Feb 3, 2015.

1. blitz

blitz beaverton Active Member 2015 Volunteer

well i am going to be taking my daughter hunting for the first time next year and am looking at rifle options.
    was thinking 270 or 243.
    she is 13 now (14 in june) about 5'10 and 160# so she is not a small girl.
    i am looking for something that is on the lighter side on recoil. so far the biggest rifle she has shot is my 300 blackout, besides 12 gauge. but looking for something that she wont develop a flinch or be scared of the scope whacking her.
    i will also be bringing her cousin out for the first time next year as well and she is a little smaller of a girl, would like for them both to use the same rifle.

any suggestions on rifling her?

btw, looking to pick up one of these for about 350$ synthetic stock and scoped if anyone has one laying around :). thats about all i can spend at the moment, i am a single father of three girls and between jobs so money is a little tight. i want to get something soon though so she gets alot of practice with it before season opener. this will also be the rifle that my twin girls use when they are old enough to hunt in a couple years.

salmonriverjohn likes this.
  2. blitz

now i think i am leaning more towards a marlin 336 30-30. wouldnt mind adding another lever gun to the safe and i think she would be able to handle it fine.

MTpockets likes this.
  3. nextgenar

nextgenar roseburg Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Get a ruger american compact in either caliber and you will be good to go or a 7mm-08 with reduced recoil rounds to start out. I would steer clear of the marlin for a beginners gun. Not enough reach and more kickb than you think the way they are stocked.

156256Hunter and 3MTA3 like this.
  4. blitz

do you think the ruger american in 270 would have less recoil than the marlin 336?

i have seen a couple for sale in 270 not a ruger american though.
    howa 1500
    rem 700

both were 400$ which is a little out of my reach but might be able to work something out with them. any thoughts on those 2?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  5. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

Bi-Mart typically has the Remington 700 ADL w/a cheap scope for $350.

6. blitz

the one i seen was an sps. scoped

7. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

It should be an ADL, blind magazine.

8. blitz

yeah i am not positive. it is on one of the firearms groups on facebook and he says it is an sps

9. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

My wife hunts with a Marlin 336C with a 4x Bushnell scope on it. With handloads 125gr Sierra FP HP and as hot as they can go. She is 5'6" heavy built and the rifle works very well for her. The 30-30 round will handle any North American Deer and with good shot placement and a heavier slug, Elk. The Lever action is easier for a beginner to operate then a bolt. The rifle is shorter and lighter then most. And they hold 5-7 rounds so 4-5 extras in a pocket should be more then enough. Recoil is quite manageable.

10. blitz

i have a win94 in my safe that i am gonna let her try out. i think i am gonna pick up a 270 regardless because i have been wanting to add one for deer hunting (currently use 300wm and 300aac) so ill see how she does with that as well. if she cant handle either i will look into other options.

Medic! likes this.
  11. rick

rick Close to Corvallis, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Saw this recoil chart on another forum...

recoil-energy-of-various-rifles.png

Recoil.jpg

dracozny likes this.
  12. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

i would go with a .308 over a .270 for a girl. because of shorter action shorter bolt throw . I would also go with something without a really long barrel bringing the center of gravity back . This is not necessary however for comfort and fit it will give her a advantage scaling things down to fit her. A limb saver or something like that will save on the shoulder .

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  13. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I prefer shooting my .257 Roberts over my 30/06 because of it's light recoil, flat trajectory and best of all, I can hit things with it, especially when a deer is on the move.
    If I was setting up a deer rifle for my daughter, that's what I would look for.
    They're not a common caliber and the ammo costs a little more, but for pure shooting pleasure it's my favorite.

ogre likes this.
  14. blitz

thanks for all the replies. probably not gonna go with the 257. would rather get something that ammo is readily available and on the lower end in price. i'm poor :(

15. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

Any soft recoil caliber is good. You know what they are.

My advice would be to get her something in wood and blued metal. Something classic.
    I really like the lever 30.30 Idea. A model 94 was my first deer rifle.

We were poor. So my father kept an eye out. And bought my brother and I both nice guns. He waited until something nice showed up. Something that met our criteria. He cruised the pawn, gun and retail stores looking for cheep well made guns. Guns with enough life in them to last us boys ours.

Be flexible. She's gona like whatever you get her. And when she's older. She will think of you every time she sees a gun like the one you bought her.

When your gone. She may occasionally pull her rifle out. And hold the gun you pick for her.
    And when she holds it. She will be holding you.

16. blitz

ended up going to sportsmans this morning and getting the ruger american in 7mm-08. decided not to go with the compact because of the muzzle blast and added recoil. now just to get a scope for it. most likely a nikon buckmaster.
    thanks for all the responses everyone!! i appreciate it.

3MTA3 likes this.
  17. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

I hated my first rifle for my 14th birth day my dad got me a a bolt action 7mm Magnum i was a big kid and I got a kick out of the recoil so i did like to shoot it. it was accurate but it was right handed And i am left handed jacking a shell into it while a deer is running away forget about a second shot even in Eastern oregon, it had a POS 3x scope on it and rings that would come loose after a few hours of bouncing around in a truck i hunted a couple years and just didn't care for it and i didn't know any better, i enjoyed being in the woods and with my dad but i called it camping with a gun . But it was the best he could afford . but i would skip going hunting with him and my step mom to stay home and chase girls rather than hunt with that pc of crap kind of lost interest in hunting shooting , I occasionally went camping with gun just to hang out with my dad until some years later a friend of mine introduced me to a lefty friendly semi auto sks then things changed i started looking for a rifle to suit me finally settling on my first browning BAR 30.06 then Hunting became fun.

dracozny likes this.
  18. blitz

just ordered a nikon buckmaster 3-9 w/ bdc from cabelas for 130$ to throw on top of it. great price for the scope and should make for a good deer hunting rifle.

orygun likes this.
  19. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Blitz, If you need any rings for the Nikon scope, you're more then welcome to pick through them for free.

scope rings 001.JPG

20. blitz

thank you so much for the offer, that is very kind! i had some redfield rings laying around so i just threw those on there.