JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking into getting a rifle for my old man so he can start hunting big game again.
I dont have a whole lot of cash to do so(100-200 tops) and have been looking into a lot of options on the forums. I know I want it to be able to shoot a common round so he doesn't have to worry about buying specialty rounds otherwise id just give him my nogant :).

So I started checking adds and came across a few for 1916 mausers sported in .308 win but have heard so many mixed pinions on them and have heard they are prone to exploding :huh: i dont want to give the old man a gun that would explode when he goes to use it. What are some of your guys opinions on the mausers and any other good big game hunting rifles.

It Needs to be a common round rifles that he could buy at walmart/bi mart in town and it needs to be able to hunt big game.

thanks guys.

JP

Stevens Model 200 30-06 about 300. but then you need to add optics. Best damm all-round caliber there is.
Or if you are really stuck at your price point a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 add a long eye reliefe scope you should be around 250.00.
The 7.62x54R is close to the 308 and a real blast to shoot.

Willamette Valley? I'm assuming Blacktail in the brush or Elk in the Coast Range? Or do you hunt Eastern Oregon?

For $200, start looking around for a used bolt action. You should be able to find a good Savage/Mossberg/Ruger
etc for that price if you have time to look for a while. It might not be really pretty, but should do the job well.
Also look at "sporterized" military. Lee Enfield, Mauser 98, even 03 Springfield can be found in that price range.
If Elk isn't on the menu, look at the old Savage bolt action 30-30's. A bit clunky and hard to scope, but accurate
and reliable.

300.00 will buy a lot more rifle than 200.00 will,imho.If u can do that, it opens up more options. Put a WTB in the wtb classifieds here,something will pop up. For about 200 you could get a handi rifle,and altho not a beauty queen,they do shoot pretty good. @ 300.00 you should see some Marlin 30-30's,and they will shoot good and last forever.

He is Coastal so it needs to be bigger caliber then the 30-30 as we would be using it for deer/elk he did use a 30-30 for elk before and can do it shot placement is the key but id prefer a bigger caliber why chance it. I am trying to hit the 300 mark but i doubt i can spare that much right now so i am looking for a savage in the 200 range right now.

Willamette Valley? I'm assuming Blacktail in the brush or Elk in the Coast Range? Or do you hunt Eastern Oregon?

For $200, start looking around for a used bolt action. You should be able to find a good Savage/Mossberg/Ruger
etc for that price if you have time to look for a while. It might not be really pretty, but should do the job well.
Also look at "sporterized" military. Lee Enfield, Mauser 98, even 03 Springfield can be found in that price range.
If Elk isn't on the menu, look at the old Savage bolt action 30-30's. A bit clunky and hard to scope, but accurate
and reliable.

And why not hunt elk at a reasonable distance (like 300yds) with a 30 06?
Guys been doing it for years.
You can buy ammo anywhere for it
Comes in like a 100 different bullet weights
If Dad can do his part it will take anything on the NA continent

You have some time before sighting/hunting season.Watch the gun shows as there will be guys trying to sell that riffle that didn't find them a buck .The dealers don't want the rifles this time of year as most customers aren't looking for hunting rifles....till the october shows
I was at one show where this kid was almost in tears cause nobody wanted his rifle.

There will be some great deals in the next few months on used rifles.

Yeah I really would like to get him a 30-06 when it comes to hunting hes been doing it for years.
Thanks for the advice about the shows i will keep any eye out i only go to the Albany one usually though.
I also am combing the forums as i would prefer to buy it on here rather than from a ffl.

Don't forget to scan Craigslist. They forbid any gun ads, but some times you can find one on there pretty cheap before the ad is flagged off.
I just picked up a 1940 pre war model 70 Winchester, with a nice scope, sling and ammo (.270) for $350.00

Nice model 70! lol never thought of checking on CL every time i type any type of gun in there it brings up people wanting them in there car adds and stuff. Guess i will keep a better look out on there.

Well first of all ask your dad what his favorite hunting caliber is. What is his favorite make and model. Then start shoping. Craig's list, Pawn shop's, Nickle Ads. But check the prices of new rifles also. Many times I have seen new rifles selling for less then used.

Just start talking guns and hunting and he will tell your eveything you need to know about what he likes, and not have a clue as to what you have in mind to do.
Sometimes my boys can be really sneaky. But I'm happy. That gun goes in the casket with me.

I found a deal on a 30/06 for 120 and bought a tasco 3-x40 to put on top of it for 30 so a total of 150 spent on a decent 30/06 :). I think he will really like the gun the deals are out there just gotta watch the forums patiently :).

Thanks guys for all the time,help,advice.

Jp

MARLIN XL7 COMBO GUN, Synthetic, 30/06 Springfield, WITH 3-9X40 SCOPE, MOUNTED AND BORESIGHTED Marlin Rifles > Modern > Bolt/Pump for sale, gun classifieds or gun auction from Centurion Security Systems. Buy or bid on this MARLIN XL7 COMBO GUN, Synth

I have read several glowing reviews on the marlin XL7 bolt action. You can get it new for under $300, or the above link has one with a scope that comes with it for $320. The optics are probably not great, but the rifle seems to be very well thought of. You can get it in several calibers. I'd recommend 30-06 or .270 win.

I found a deal on a 30/06 for 120 and bought a tasco 3-x40 to put on top of it for 30 so a total of 150 spent on a decent 30/06 :). I think he will really like the gun the deals are out there just gotta watch the forums patiently :).

Thanks guys for all the time,help,advice.

Jp

Woops, didn't see that you had already found something. Good luck, I'm sure he'll enjoy it.

MARLIN XL7 COMBO GUN, Synthetic, 30/06 Springfield, WITH 3-9X40 SCOPE, MOUNTED AND BORESIGHTED Marlin Rifles > Modern > Bolt/Pump for sale, gun classifieds or gun auction from Centurion Security Systems. Buy or bid on this MARLIN XL7 COMBO GUN, Synth

I have read several glowing reviews on the marlin XL7 bolt action. You can get it new for under $300, or the above link has one with a scope that comes with it for $320. The optics are probably not great, but the rifle seems to be very well thought of. You can get it in several calibers. I'd recommend 30-06 or .270 win.

It was another thread,I believe,I was saying the Marlin is a rebranded Savage.Or exact duplicate.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top