JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently ran across a pic on the web of an AR-15 sitting on a display base made of a piece of steel plate with a magazine attached to it (I want one). It looked like it was welded or brazed...but I don't know much about welding, nothing about brazing...and even my attempts at soldering have been dismal at best. I do think that welding a thin aluminum or steel magazine to a thick chunk of steel plate would be problematic...and maybe not cost effective to have done...so I'm wondering about using JB Weld??? And if so, which JB Weld product? I've never used any of their products.

Assuming that you don't want it to work thereafter and that there would be no restrictions on the ownership/possession thereafter.

ART?

I suggest that you read and follow the BATF's procedure on deactivation. Since I'm also assuming that you started out with a REAL firearm.

Aloha, Mark

Find a piece of wood that fits into a magazine screw it to the base, glue mag into woods piece, display.

I love mine, definitely welded.
I need to pick up another for an AR 20220522_091634.jpg 20220522_091651.jpg

I recently ran across a pic on the web of an AR-15 sitting on a display base made of a piece of steel plate with a magazine attached to it (I want one). It looked like it was welded or brazed...but I don't know much about welding, nothing about brazing...and even my attempts at soldering have been dismal at best. I do think that welding a thin aluminum or steel magazine to a thick chunk of steel plate would be problematic...and maybe not cost effective to have done...so I'm wondering about using JB Weld??? And if so, which JB Weld product? I've never used any of their products.
I would just buy one already made. There are maybe over a hundred kinds out there desktop mount and wall mount and most are $15-$25.
4AB778A4-5314-430F-A7EA-517242E304DB.png
FE6BAD35-899B-490F-86C0-2BEA632C68BF.png
282815B1-A993-45D6-8B86-DBD7DF74CC52.png

Two of thsee with 1" 1/4-20 standoff spacers and a screw head that fits your MLOK hand guard, et viola! You have an outstanding fridge decoration!

1653236461387.png

J/K -- though I think I'll try that for the inside of my safe and the 5-6 spare uppers I have.

Assuming that you don't want it to work thereafter and that there would be no restrictions on the ownership/possession thereafter.

ART?

I suggest that you read and follow the BATF's procedure on deactivation. Since I'm also assuming that you started out with a REAL firearm.

Aloha, Mark
The magazine would definitely be permanently disabled...I was thinking of filling it with lead to make the base more stable.

Hummm.......

So.....just a "permanent/base" magazine. Where one could stick their "functioning AR" into it, "like a display".

I use to have.....plenty of junk steel magazines to play around with (like in Post #6).

So, why didn't I think of that? Oh yeah......I didn't want to "display" my ARs (or other guns). Brings back memories of the days when people use to have glass display gun cabinets. I used to think that they were "cool" looking furniture.

BUT....that's only me.

Aloha, Mark

PS.... for functioning firearms.....nowadays, also beware of the "gun storage" requirement(s) that some jurisdictions may/might have enacted.

Last Edited:
Google, "AR15 display stand." You'll get hits.

Also go to the google images page when it comes up because you can a) see a wide variety of stands and b) follow the picture back to its source where it is often for sale.

Unless you're just really set on building your own. Then make sure you post some pictures when you have it finished. :)

Hummm.......

So.....just a "permanent/base" magazine. Where one could stick their "functioning AR" into it, "like a display".

I use to have.....plenty of junk steel magazines to play around with (like in Post #6).

So, why didn't I think of that? Oh yeah......I didn't want to "display" my ARs (or other guns). Brings back memories of the days when people use to have glass display gun cabinets. I used to think that they were "cool" looking furniture.

BUT....that's only me.

Aloha, Mark

PS.... for functioning firearms.....nowadays, also beware of the "gun storage" requirement(s) that some jurisdictions may/might have enacted.
Like a display, yes...I decided to build a rifle for a retirement present, and have it finished in something other than black. Back in the mid 90's when I was still buying printed gun magazines, I saw pictures of a Colt carry handle A2, finished similar to a high quality blued Colt revolver from the 60's...(at least that's how I recall it :) )...sooo if I can even come close to a finish like that with Cerakote, the photographer in me wants a nice base (as does the tailgate of my truck). Unfortunately my hobby room is not a vault, so storage is the usual safe in the closet...

JB Weld will work just fine. The original is all you need. Buy a second one and toss in your truck as part of your "oh chit" stuff. My Dad dropped his metal cutoff saw about 20 years ago and the pivot arm broke between the base and the blade. Fixed it with JB Weld and it's still going today.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top