JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been shooting for a while, but mostly pistols. Never had any training in rifles. Looking to hunt this fall and wanted to see if there were any practical rifle classes in NW OR or SW WA. Not long range, probably 300-400 max. Focusing more on marksmanship and shooting from field positions with a bolt action rifle. Thanks in advance.

I've done training in both a class and 1-on-1 with an instructor, and have found 1-on-1 in general to be the better option, especially from a cost-effectiveness standpoint. I believe they are more about self-defense than hunting, but maybe give Threat Dynamics call? Otherwise, the Albany Rifle and Pistol Club offers hunter education (look under the "Education" tab).

Last Edited:
I will third Cerberus training as well. I took his 2 day pistol and rifle class. I can not compare his to other classes as I haven't taken any other classes but I can tell you that I left with a much better understand of how to operate both firearms and what I needed to work on. My class was more defensive firearm class than hunting class. As noted above, he has a precision rifle class which is probably what you would prefer

Thanks for the replies so far. Cerberus definitely sounds interesting, though 300 rounds of .30-06 sounds like heavy day to me. Perhaps I've gotten soft.

I think 1-on-1 may be even better if I could find a good instructor within an hour drive of PDX.

Leupold has not announced any dates in 2019 yet.

Thanks for the replies so far. Cerberus definitely sounds interesting, though 300 rounds of .30-06 sounds like heavy day to me. Perhaps I've gotten soft.

I think 1-on-1 may be even better if I could find a good instructor within an hour drive of PDX.

Leupold has not announced any dates in 2019 yet.

The description reads If you would like to shoot, bring - 300 rounds for each rifle and pistol. That would lead me to assume if you like to shoot fewer rounds, bring fewer rounds.

IMHO, its tons cheaper and heaps more beneficial to go to a local precision rifle match, spend 25 bucks and talk to the guys there than to take someones overpriced intro class.

IMHO, its tons cheaper and heaps more beneficial to go to a local precision rifle match, spend 25 bucks and talk to the guys there than to take someones overpriced intro class.

Two thing wrong with that statement...

1. Practice DOES NOT make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. Doing something wrong over and over at a match ingrains poor habits which can become very difficult to break. Under the watchful eye of a competent instructor poor technique can be troubleshooted from the start and corrected.

2. Not sure who/where you have been looking at class prices but the last thing @Cerberus Group is would be "overpriced", quite the opposite actually.

Obviously I have a dog in the fight....Joel Turner, the guest instructor is the current sniper trainer for Washington State LE, as well as being a SWAT member and trainer for many years.

I don't think the class will get through 300 rounds, it's just covering the bases.

Project Appleseed will be at WMGC in Ariel, WA June 8 & 9 or DRRC June 22 & 23. You will go through about 400 rounds but you can use your .22 to learn the techniques. We will teach you everything you need to get out to 500 yards in all of the field shooting positions you would want. $65 for the weekend +$10 to the club if you aren't a member.

Appleseed is not a replacement for outfits like Cerberus - we are an enhancement. You will learn a lot at one of our weekend clinics. Master those techniques and you will get so much more out of your higher dollar classes.

schedulemap | Project Appleseed

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads