Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

rifle case recomendations

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by mrblond, Nov 7, 2012.

1. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

Looking to get a case for my new Weatherby. What are some good ones, soft or hard are fine. I don;t really want a cheap piece of junk or anything thats super spendy either.

2. Creeper

Creeper Ravensdale, WA. Member

If you want waterproof, you'll end up dropping a few hundred for something like a Pelican, StormCase or SKB.
    Good, although not fully waterproof, cases can be had from Plano for around $100... around $130 for an "all weather" case.

C

3. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

Is this for toting it to the range or flying on airplanes/shipping? Pelicans are built like tanks but they are also heavy and expensive.

4. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

Its for a hunting rifle so I have been eyeballing the pelican. Looks like its built like a tank but its a tad on the expensive side but I figure its worth spending a little more in a semi expensive rifle.

5. DoubleTapDrew

That's true, it's one of those things you won't have to buy again rather than buying a case every few years because it got damaged.

6. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

A rifle case (even for your very best and favorite) can NEVER be considered more than a fleeting, temporary enclosure for a gun during transport. NEVER should any gun be stored in any case. Therefore, I am recommending the very most economical case you can find that accommodates your gun (and perhaps some accessories) for transport. For a very fine gun (collector quality Winchester, or such), I will augment the economical case with a gunsock around the gun itself. A collecting friend of mine actually socks all his guns in his safe. I am adopting his procedure, as it eliminates "safe dings" from extraction of the gun to show, or to examine.

7. BANE

BANE Battle Ground WA. Well-Known Member

I would say Pelican or ECS..

8. DoubleTapDrew

Why would you store a gun in a case? Seems like an invitation for mold, rust, and warped stocks,

9. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

Not sure if they still carry them but Wallyworld used to carry contico cases that were a fairly thick hard plastic and held 2 long guns for about $20 - probably cost more now but they did hold up well. They had 2 locations for locks on them.