JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For all my life, rifle bullet diameter have been dictated by ammo and arms makers. I never questioned it.

Recently read an article on PO Ackley in 1985 Gun Digest.

Of Ackley's stuff, I have seen some great concepts (improved cartridge design) and at times, some borderline obscene overloads (Maybe powder was a LOT slower back in his prime?)

In it, the author states (Author was student of Ackley at Trinidad CO in 1950) that Ackley took a 6.5 barrel, and cut the chamber to accept 7mm bullets. Ackley concluded that the increase in bullet diameter made no difference in pressure.......

Now, in revolvers, it is not at all uncommon to play a few thousandths of diameter. I always figured that was lead, and it was a different material, and a revolver was a different machine. Just size bullets .001-.003" bigger than indstry spec calls for. No worries

Now, I am not suggesting shooting 284 slugs in a 6.5. But it made me wonder how much of a spike would happen if one used a 7mm slug in a 270? Or a 311 in a 30-06?

I want to state again, I am not suggesting that anyone act on anything here. Just asking for opinions.

I read about the blow up tests. Interesting stuff.

Some of his ideas for "safe" handloads (Not all were overboard. Some were well in bounds) were well over anything I'd run. High school physics taught me enough to understand if you are getting hot 25-06 velocities out of a 257 Roberts, it's thru increased pressures. Not efficient case design, or gas flowing around the shoulder or whatever magic they claim. It's high pressure.

Other writers have published optimistic stuff over the years. Once their favorite loads are ran thru a pressure reading device, they pull the throttle back some.

The OP was simply asking what would happen if we did load an over diameter slug and fired it.

1586138594270.png ??

I just assumed if you put an oversize bullet down a rifles throat, you'd have blown primers and have to hammer the case out of the chamber and all the other problems associated with a huge sin.

Just shocked that Ackley made such a huge change in bullet diameter, and couldn't tell any difference.

i have fired .311 bullets in a 30-30 highwall and .321 bullets in a 8x57j commission '88 with no signs of excess pressure. (handloaded commercial jacketed bullets) chamber neck diameter on either of these guns would prevent chambering a cartridge with a bullet .005 over.

Rather than start a new thread, maybe I can segue this into pistol diameters.
Can reloaders use 0.355 (9mm) bullets for use in (0.357) 357 mag loads, the difference only being two thousandths? And vice versa? I plan to load for the 9mm Luger and 357 SIG in regards to pistol 9mm. I am in the process of buying bullets to reload and had to stop because I am seeing on online retailers and the Hornady load manual very close diameter bullets. Same with the 45 cals, 0.451 and 0.452, for 454 Casull; does it matter?

Can reloaders use 0.355 (9mm) bullets for use in (0.357) 357 mag loads, the difference only being two thousandths? And vice versa? I plan to load for the 9mm Luger and 357 SIG in regards to pistol 9mm. I am in the process of buying bullets to reload and had to stop because I am seeing on online retailers and the Hornady load manual very close diameter bullets. Same with the 45 cals, 0.451 and 0.452, for 454 Casull; does it matter?

Using .355 in .357 revolver, you might see some loss of accuracy. There might also be issues with getting sufficient bullet pull (tension) on a .355 bullet in a .357 mag. case. Depending upon brand of brass. And could be corrected by sizing the first half inch or so of the .357 case (the mouth) in a 9mm sizing die. You'd have to experiment a bit with that trick (due to taper of 9mm case), depending on brand of die. I'd think you'd be more apt to have success using something like a Hornady XTP or HAP 9mm bullet that has a long shank/bearing surface. RN bullets with a long, sloping ogive and short shank tend to be less accurate even in a 9mm.

Going the other way, some people have been known to shoot .357 size revolver bullets in 9mm/.38 Super/.357 Sig. Just be sure not to load at max. load levels to provide a margin of safety.

I tried to blow up a gun, once. Wasn't as spectacular as I thought it'd be. Made me a lot less worried about using max load data. And a lot less worried about whether or not my bullets are, indeed, exactly, to the thousandth what the book calls for (not concerned about a .310 finding it's way into a .308). I've read a bit of Ackley's material and all of it is a good read, almost on par with a good novel

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top