JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just picked up a Remington 700 SPS tactical with the threaded barrel, not sure if I need to go with the 20 MOA scope base or flat. What's the big benefit? I plan on doing some decent long range with this set up. This will be my first decent build so looking for input. As for the scope I haven't nailed that down either looking at Luepold, Nikon and maybe Nightforce but a little $$$$.

Get the 20 MOA rail and the Nightforce scope i use the NXS 5.5-22x56 on most of my long range rifles seems to do well for me. The 20 moa rail will give you more elevation adjustment for the long shots.
hope this helps.
This is my 300WM with that set up and i used a US Optics 20moa rail on this one..

2012-03-01_21-22-54_242.jpg

Shooting my 308 with a Mk4 i replaced it with a NF NXS

DSCN1921_detail.jpg

Will the 20 MOA rail cause issue at shorter distance or does it just give you more adjustment for long range?

Nice looking rifles. After I get my glass settled I want to swap stocks, how do you like the set up on your 300?

The 20 MOA will not cause any issues at shorter ranges. I really like the AICS chassis its heavy, rigid and very strong.
The Mcmillian stock on the 308 is an A4, its very nice also a little lighter. I have ordered other Mcm. stocks and found them to be defective but they replaced them asap so no worries!
Last time i talked to Mcmillian they were a year out :huh: that stinks. Bartlien Barrels are a year out as well..:huh:
I built my rifles so if you have any Questions feel free to ask.

You probably don't need the 20 MOA rail unless you are shooting beyond 600 yards, or if the scope you get has very little elevation adjustment.

Another option are the Burris Signature rings that have the plastic inserts. Using the supplied inserts, you can do 0 MOA, 10 MOA and 20 MOA without buying the rail or getting new rings. People that use these rave about them, plus an added benefit is the plastic inserts prevent damage to the scope. Another benefit, you don't have to lap the rings for a perfect fit.

I appriciate the info. I think I'm sold on the 20 MOA. I'll be looking at glass this week. Hope to have photos up soon. The thing looks goofy with just a bipod.

Otter, I hadn't heard of that option. I plan on giving the 600-800 a run with this rifle. I think much after that will be hard with the .308 on a 20" barrel.

Definitely go with a 20 MOA base: shouldn't have an issue with 100 yd zero.

Of the 3 brands mentioned, Nikon probably is the most value, Nightforce and Leupold (depending on which series you get) would be top shelf.

You can go out to at least 1000 with a 20" barrel with 175 gr SMK, all day, every day. No worries.

Well, It depends upon the glass.
I just bought a VX-II 6-18, for my 1,000 yard 308. That scope has 78-79 minutes of adjustment, so in a perfect world that means about 40 up, or 40 down from center.
My 175 loads leaving at a tick under 2600 FPS needs 39 MOA to reach 1,000.

The trick is, that once mounted, I was to "high" , so with an adjustment DOWN, the net effect is that I have more than enough to adjust for 1K.

The guys on AccurateShooter rave about those Burris rings. Certainly worth a look.

I like to set my rifle up so that the cross hairs are optically centered as best they can, being as Darkker points out you have equal adjustment up and down and side to side. If you are too far either direction the optical quality of the image could be compromised. Less expensive scope would mean more compromise. If most my shooting is going to be at 1000 yards then you want the rail so that you can keep the cross hairs optically centered. If you are going to shoot mostly at 300 yards with occasional shooting at 500 yards I would skip the rail and go with 0 MOA adjustment. So far I've never seen a one-size-fits all combonation.

It's done... For now. Thanks to another forum member for my new Mark 4 scope.

Next month I will probably swap stocks for something with a full aluminum bedding and an adjustable cheek riser. But I am very happy with the set up for now. Took it out and did the break in and got it zeroed. Even with my novice skill I can put sub-moa down range. I think with a more skilled hand maybe .5 MOA at 100.

If you are going to be shooting long match bullets(175 SMK as an example) don't be surprised if they don't group well at 100. My MOA @ 1K load is terrible @ 100.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top