JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Who has been struck by a ricocheting bullet? I personally have been struck several times, usually below the knees when firing at steel targets. :s0131:
Is it the angle of the target? These were pistol bullets that came straight back from 25yds.:huh:
All were fired at fixed targets, in one case an old car body. Would a swinging target
be less likely to direct the bullet back at you?:huh:

Jack...:cool:

I just shot speed steel this morning. All the targets have a slightly downward angle to them and the ground below is peppered with lead. I did get a small piece of lead come back and land on my head and I was well beyond the firing line watching.
Two things to watch out for
1. Dimples in the steel can sling lead back to you.

2. A swinging target shot while it is swinging back at you can "bat it" back towards you.
Good luck and stay safe,
Mike

I have made a few swinging targets, all steel discs welded to a piece of rebar, which was welded to a sleeve that slipped over the frame they hung from. The steel plates were also slightly angled down anyway. In my mind, the slight angle coupled with their ability to only swing/move in one axis(back and forth) aided to the bullets being deflected to the ground.

I have never been hit by a ricochet, and if I was.....I would....
1. stop shooting at that target
2. figure out WTF bullets are ricocheting back
3. make design changes to targets to minimize ricochet
4. profit

Who has been struck by a ricocheting bullet? I personally have been struck several times, usually below the knees when firing at steel targets. :s0131:
Is it the angle of the target? These were pistol bullets that came straight back from 25yds.:huh:
All were fired at fixed targets, in one case an old car body. Would a swinging target
be less likely to direct the bullet back at you?:huh:

Jack...:cool:

With a whole bullet or a fragment of a bullet or jacket?

I've been hit by both. Had a .22 whole bullet come back and hit me in the chest, hard enough to break the skin and bleed a little. I've been hit by fragments a lot but none hard enough to hurt. I know there was someone who got hit by a piece of jacket in the upper lip last month at a steel match in Renton. It got in pretty deep and bled a lot.

Making sure the steel is angled right and in good condition, no big craters or dimples will help a lot in avoiding having stuff coming back at you. But I think if you shoot enough steel at a lot of different places you are going to get hit sometimes with fragments. If you are getting hit with whole bullets then there is a big problem.

My first steel targets I bought off Ebay. They are 8" round and fit over the top of a 2x4. 90 degrees. Well, I was new at this; dumb. Yes, I felt shavings flying back, luckily that is all.

If steel is mounted to something where the plate doesn't move it must be canted downward. If it is a plate that can swing, then fine; the bullet hits, pushes the plate up and outward and bullet glances downward.

Shooting at indoor range, 25 yds at fixed steel plates using a 40 S&W. Ricochet hit me
square in the middle of the forehead and embedded/protruding. Put a dixie cup around
it and duct taped while i was rushed to hospital. Didn't stay long after x-rays. Went
home and slept most of the following day. Facial wounds elicit a lot of blood, with so
many vessels near the surface.

Wow Waltermitty. This was a indoor range you paid to go to? - hopefully they paid your medical expenses. They should have had all that worked out.

If that was your eye ... man ... scary.

in the many years i've been doing cowboy matches...almost all our targets are steel..I and many othes have been hit with chunks ,and sometimes whole bulles...coming off of the steel.We've tried all kinds of ways of mounting the plates,and it still happens. I wear side shield safety glasses,and if anywhere near the firing line I'll cover my face with my hands. I love making steel ring,but there sure are inherint dangers involved.

I knew this thread would pop up when I posted my pictures.... the longer range targets that I have , the first one I ever built was just a mild steel 1/4" plate, leftover from somthing, I hung it up for the kids to shoot.. .22's and lead pistol hit and make dust clouds below it, 30/30 , .280, and 30.06 go right through. My pistol targets are 1/2" ar 400 and shrug off .44 mags no prob, but when my 17y/o thought he would try them with the 30/30 at 10 yards..... #1 we now have a hole in the edge of one, and a large dimple in the other, and #2 I got a large chunk of lead smacked me in the elbow just enough to draw blood......... The subsequent newer plates being set at an angle, and the entire pistol target being clearly labeled "pistol only" are a direct result of this.

Never been hit by a direct ricochet, but I have been peppered with fragments coming over the berms of the action range many times. It's why you wear a cap and protective glasses! Some of those frags hurt when they hit bare skin. Not sure I'd want that in my eye!

I am an expert on ricochets and steel targets and I built all the steel targets at JCSA Action Pistol Club. Bullets will ricochet of steel targets. You can't change that but If you turn the targets at a slight angel, say 20 degrees to the side, the bullets will ricochet off at an angel and not straight back at you. Steel targets angled down is not a good idea. The bullets will ricochet off the steel then off the ground at the perfect angel to hit you in the face. Bullets will also ricochet off water, trees, wood floors, cement, asphalt, and many other things, so be careful.

I have put a ton of rounds into my 3/8 plate targets. After some trial and error I've discovered the sweet spot downward angle that leaves a nice little pile of bullet frags on the ground. I also rarely practice closer than 30' to the target. I have taken some frags over the years but it doesn't have much velocity and it's nothing proper protective gear can't handle.

Wow Waltermitty. This was a indoor range you paid to go to? - hopefully they paid your medical expenses. They should have had all that worked out.

If that was your eye ... man ... scary.

the thought of few inches lower was not lost on me, believe me. someone was looking out for me that day

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top