Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Rich's range at Mt. Bachelor?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Shooting Areas' started by ocarolan, Feb 9, 2015.

1. ocarolan

ocarolan Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

It looks like there's a disused rifle range in the nordic ski area of Bachelor. Anyone know if it's still legal to target shoot there?

http://www.mtbachelor.com/site/winter/nordic/terrain_info/TrailMap_2014_Nordic_Map_lowres.pdf

You need to buy a nordic ski pass to enter the area, but I think it's Deschutes NFS land.

All I could find out was this snippet:

In the 80's there was a lot of local biathlon activity led by 1988 Olympian Rich Gross who still lives here in Bend. During that period they had a small range down in the sand pits off the trail, Rich's Range. The range was outside of the Mt. Bachelor Special Use Permit so these athletes did their own permitting.

The range worked out pretty well though it was a long way from the Mountain for spectators and they had to store targets and other equipment there. As it was a temporary range it was labor intensive. At some point in the early 90's the range became inactive.

Cogs likes this.
  2. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

If it has not been used and maintained I would bet by now it is nearly unrecognizable as a range - and that could have been helped along by the USFS. Be easier to find a new place as there are no shortages over here.