Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Ribs

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by rick49, May 14, 2015.

1. rick49

rick49 Lewis Well-Known Member

Twisted some ribs last night.
    image.jpg

3 hrs on the rotis at 275. Practicing for the weekend, what you folks cookin up?

salmonriverjohn and mjbskwim like this.
  2. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Should be falling off the bone is think.

I smoke mine at 225 for 6 hours

mjbskwim likes this.
  3. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

I cheat and use the pressure cooker first:eek:

NoFlinch likes this.
  4. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

I have to use the oven but I start them at 170 with a nice rub of dillo dust ( which I am also out of so I need to make another order to Larue for some more ) and let them cook all day. Then, about a hour or so before eating time, I hit them with the wet sauce and turn the oven up for that nice glaze

5. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I dont have a smoker so I do them in the oven and then finish on the grill

Rub is 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbsp smoked paprika, 1 tbsp minced garlic.

wrap with multiple layers of foil so no liquid can get out.
    300F for 2.5 hrs

then favorite BBQ sauce and on the grill until a little blackened.

6. Bigbaddude

Bigbaddude West linn Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I cheat to 15 minutes in pressure cooker then 15 minutes on grill with bbq sauce.

NoFlinch likes this.
  7. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Heres what I do - I am told best ribs ever

Rub ribs with olive oil then lay out and dry rub both sides (I use several different styles)
    let sit in the refer covered all night.
    Next day prepare BBQ sauce - 1/2 strawberry PRESERVES and 1/2 Sweet Baby Rays, 1 tsb minced garlic & onion. stir WELL to combine and let set out covered. It needs to get to room temp to combine well.
    Ribs on smoker - 150 degrees for about 2 hours (apple or cherrywood - none of this trendy mesquite or hickory - too strong)
    Cut smoker heat and let sit for a while to let them glaze over (a couple hours at least)
    Cover bottom grates of BBQ with alum foil and grill on low w/ribs on the top grill. Drippings from ribs collect on foil, steam up and help keep them moist. Open a can of apple juice and pour on the aluminum foil if you want or put in sprayer and spray ribs.
    Apply BBQ sauce with a brush evenly but not TOO heavy. As it just starts to glaze over flip and do the same to the other side.
    Let them grill on low and when you start to see bubbles from the ribs cut the heat and let sit on the grill for 15-20 minutes

edslhead and salmonriverjohn like this.
  8. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

RV, in a word, Damn!

9. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I never use mesquite or hickory for anything, too strong like you say. Throughout the year I get access to some fruit woods, so apple chunks, or plum. Anything fruit wood is good. I also heat with wood and always have alder and maple around.

Last year I was doing a job and came up with some filbert that was about three inches in diameter, made inch thick pucks from it. It was really mild, nothing special on chicken, but the bomb on ribs/pork butt!

salmonriverjohn likes this.
  10. Master17

Master17 Salem Member

Thank you RV. I'm hosting another rib cook off this summer. I've been trying some different recipes and yours sure sounds like a winner. Thank you.

11. RVTECH

Marionberry preserves works well also but imparts a slight 'acidic' but 'bolder' flavor to the BBQ sauce. The strawberry is less acidic and tends to lighten the flavor but is a little sweeter. My recommendation would be to mix a couple tablespoons for a 'taste test' of both and see what you like best.

12. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

What is this "sauce" you speak of? Some devils brew? Perhaps you put Ketchup (catsup whatever ) on steak!

BBQ gets rub.

Sauce on the table for the in-laws.

RLS, mjbskwim, Redcap and 2 others like this.
  13. salmonriverjohn

Your a funny man Sully!

14. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Elma, WA Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:What's wrpng with catsup???

15. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Not one damned thing!

16. salmonriverjohn

Chilli powder, 4 tbls
    Taco seasoning, 6 packsMcCormicks
    garlic powder, 3 tbls
    Ground pepper, 3 tbls
    Onion powder, 3 tbls
    Brown sugar, 4 cups
    4-5 lbs pork ribs

Mix all ingredients in a plastic bowl then RUB into ribs, lay them side by side, not stacked in a plastic pan and place in fridge overnight.

Fire up the smoker. Apple, cherry, alder, whatever you prefer.
    Low and slow now for 4 hours.

Fire up the Q.
    This is the point where you can baste with your favorite sauce or use those same rub ingredients and make your own,
    I believe this recipe was one of member Trailsmans that I gleaned from him years ago, so all credits to him but it's the one that is as simple as it gets and gets the most nods from our summer bashes and we do throw some big fun pig in the ground, salmon on the grill, drink your fill, live band till,,, the cows come home in three days party's every summer!

Quacky88 likes this.
  17. RVTECH

BBQ sauce - 1/2 strawberry PRESERVES and 1/2 Sweet Baby Rays, 1 tsb minced garlic & onion. stir WELL to combine and let set out covered. It needs to get to room temp to combine well.

18. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Preach it, brother.

As for what I'm cooking up this weekend, I have some thick elk steaks thawing in the refrigerator right now.

mjbskwim likes this.