JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Twisted some ribs last night.
image.jpg

3 hrs on the rotis at 275. Practicing for the weekend, what you folks cookin up?

I have to use the oven but I start them at 170 with a nice rub of dillo dust ( which I am also out of so I need to make another order to Larue for some more ) and let them cook all day. Then, about a hour or so before eating time, I hit them with the wet sauce and turn the oven up for that nice glaze

I dont have a smoker so I do them in the oven and then finish on the grill

Rub is 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbsp smoked paprika, 1 tbsp minced garlic.

wrap with multiple layers of foil so no liquid can get out.
300F for 2.5 hrs

then favorite BBQ sauce and on the grill until a little blackened.

Heres what I do - I am told best ribs ever

Rub ribs with olive oil then lay out and dry rub both sides (I use several different styles)
let sit in the refer covered all night.
Next day prepare BBQ sauce - 1/2 strawberry PRESERVES and 1/2 Sweet Baby Rays, 1 tsb minced garlic & onion. stir WELL to combine and let set out covered. It needs to get to room temp to combine well.
Ribs on smoker - 150 degrees for about 2 hours (apple or cherrywood - none of this trendy mesquite or hickory - too strong)
Cut smoker heat and let sit for a while to let them glaze over (a couple hours at least)
Cover bottom grates of BBQ with alum foil and grill on low w/ribs on the top grill. Drippings from ribs collect on foil, steam up and help keep them moist. Open a can of apple juice and pour on the aluminum foil if you want or put in sprayer and spray ribs.
Apply BBQ sauce with a brush evenly but not TOO heavy. As it just starts to glaze over flip and do the same to the other side.
Let them grill on low and when you start to see bubbles from the ribs cut the heat and let sit on the grill for 15-20 minutes

I never use mesquite or hickory for anything, too strong like you say. Throughout the year I get access to some fruit woods, so apple chunks, or plum. Anything fruit wood is good. I also heat with wood and always have alder and maple around.

Last year I was doing a job and came up with some filbert that was about three inches in diameter, made inch thick pucks from it. It was really mild, nothing special on chicken, but the bomb on ribs/pork butt!

Heres what I do - I am told best ribs ever

Rub ribs with olive oil then lay out and dry rub both sides (I use several different styles)
let sit in the refer covered all night.
Next day prepare BBQ sauce - 1/2 strawberry PRESERVES and 1/2 Sweet Baby Rays, 1 tsb minced garlic & onion. stir WELL to combine and let set out covered. It needs to get to room temp to combine well.
Ribs on smoker - 150 degrees for about 2 hours (apple or cherrywood - none of this trendy mesquite or hickory - too strong)
Cut smoker heat and let sit for a while to let them glaze over (a couple hours at least)
Cover bottom grates of BBQ with alum foil and grill on low w/ribs on the top grill. Drippings from ribs collect on foil, steam up and help keep them moist. Open a can of apple juice and pour on the aluminum foil if you want or put in sprayer and spray ribs.
Apply BBQ sauce with a brush evenly but not TOO heavy. As it just starts to glaze over flip and do the same to the other side.
Let them grill on low and when you start to see bubbles from the ribs cut the heat and let sit on the grill for 15-20 minutes

Thank you RV. I'm hosting another rib cook off this summer. I've been trying some different recipes and yours sure sounds like a winner. Thank you.

Marionberry preserves works well also but imparts a slight 'acidic' but 'bolder' flavor to the BBQ sauce. The strawberry is less acidic and tends to lighten the flavor but is a little sweeter. My recommendation would be to mix a couple tablespoons for a 'taste test' of both and see what you like best.

Chilli powder, 4 tbls
Taco seasoning, 6 packsMcCormicks
garlic powder, 3 tbls
Ground pepper, 3 tbls
Onion powder, 3 tbls
Brown sugar, 4 cups
4-5 lbs pork ribs

Mix all ingredients in a plastic bowl then RUB into ribs, lay them side by side, not stacked in a plastic pan and place in fridge overnight.

Fire up the smoker. Apple, cherry, alder, whatever you prefer.
Low and slow now for 4 hours.

Fire up the Q.
This is the point where you can baste with your favorite sauce or use those same rub ingredients and make your own,
I believe this recipe was one of member Trailsmans that I gleaned from him years ago, so all credits to him but it's the one that is as simple as it gets and gets the most nods from our summer bashes and we do throw some big fun pig in the ground, salmon on the grill, drink your fill, live band till,,, the cows come home in three days party's every summer!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top