JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just got a new RIA VR-80 12 Ga. gun for my Birthday! Something different in the way of a Shotgun!

RIA VR-80.JPG

Lucky that thing is a bad bubble gumming shotgun! Light weight! And you can change the stock I believe to a collapseable one! Awesome birthday gift

Yes, I found you can put a standard AR-15 Collapsible Stock as well as the Standard AR Pistol Grip on it. I will probably try it and see how the recoil is. Of course the gun is a gas operated 12 Ga. so it may not be bad at all. I will probably carry 00 Buck in it.

Holy vaperware, this gun may get me back into owning something in 12g.

SCA Red
I have not shot it as of yet! It may be this Fall when the weather in Tennessee is not so D*** HOT!
But plan on changing out the Stock and Pistol Grip as previously mentioned. Let me know if you get one and shoot yours first!

I have been eyeballing these for a while. Please let us know what they cycle and don't cycle reliably. There are only a couple vids online and they usually only use the 5 rnd mags without a proper break in, so not that great of a test. I want to know if the 9 rounders are reliable.

As I've been learning about these guns, the 3gun guys are the ones learning the most. So from what I've learned,

5 and 9 rd mags are both equally reliable. The 19rd mags can be unreliable, but it's usually caused by the connector being slightly askew which binds up the mag spring.
Keeping mags loaded when not using the gun can cause issues too. The sides of the shells can start to dimple, which causes the feeding issues. Most recommend using Win AA as they have stiffer sidewalls.

Gas ports vary in size with the earlier guns having the smallest holes. After they hit the market and people were having issues, the factory started opening up the holes. But it's a crapshoot as to what size you'll end up with.

Tooth and Nail armory makes some good triggers for them.
Taccom3g makes a lot of the accessories for them.

Ultimately realize this is still a newly released shotgun so it's early in the aftermarket development cycle. New parts and knowledge are coming to the market pretty much everyday.

Mine worked flawless for the 10 or so rounds I put through it. Started with some old 3" magnum steel waterfowl type shells I found in my stash, then after 4 or 5 switched to some standard target 2-3/4 #7 1-1/8 and it ran them without fail. Having good vibes with this one myself. Also the shop I bought it from previously swapped a Magpul stock and a Hogue grip, that was what sold me. I didnt particularly like the stock it comes with. Now nothing to do but buy a dot of some kind?

64990231859__3075CEF7-7D47-4B91-8217-A4AB9A1B0AD1.JPG

Last Edited:
These things are a "blast" to shoot. Keep an eye on the charging handle though, ours disappeared into the weeds on about the 5th box of shells. We now have spares in the box, just as I carry spares for my duck gun.

In case anyone is interested the black Rock Island VR60 is on sale for $299 plus a current rebate of $50.....or four, 9 rounders (free, worth about $100). Shipping from Palmetto is $17. Don't forget sales tax plus FFL transfer.

update: oh crap, I tried to create a link and looks like it sold out already. that went FAST (less than a day). Next day, price went up to $330 and back in stock. Still less than their $350 reg PSA price. goofy real tree print is cheaper if you're into that.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top