JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everyone,

I have an RIA M200 .38 Special revolver that I've had for a couple years that has developed timing issues. I quite like the gun and I'm considering taking advantage of RIA's lifetime warranty. But since I've never warrantied any gun ever, the idea kind of makes me nervous. Does anyone have any recent experience with RIA in this regard? I am also curious how one goes about shipping it and getting it back? I know it has to go to an FFL, but since it's my gun already do I have to do the 10 day waiting period on something I already own?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Federal law allows you ship a gun you already own for repairs without going through an FFL dealer. And receive it back directly without dealer intervention. Wash. state law also allows this. At least for the revolver you ask about, I'm not sure about semi auto rifles because I haven't had to ship one for repair since the I-1639..

If you contact RIA, be sure to ask if they provide pre-paid shipping. They may or may not. Some manufacturers/distributors have defined time horizons on warranty work and pre-paid shipping.

You cannot ship a handgun through US Postal Service, only by a common carrier such as UPS or Fedex. Guns must be shipped through common carrier hubs. Retail franchises like UPS Store won't touch guns.

Federal law allows you ship a gun you already own for repairs without going through an FFL dealer. And receive it back directly without dealer intervention. Wash. state law also allows this. At least for the revolver you ask about, I'm not sure about semi auto rifles because I haven't had to ship one for repair since the I-1639..

If you contact RIA, be sure to ask if they provide pre-paid shipping. They may or may not. Some manufacturers/distributors have defined time horizons on warranty work and pre-paid shipping.

You cannot ship a handgun through US Postal Service, only by a common carrier such as UPS or Fedex. Guns must be shipped through common carrier hubs. Retail franchises like UPS Store won't touch guns.
I shipped a Glock to Smyrna from the fedex store in Gresham. Call ahead and ask.

Fedex can be iffy. I've shipped a warranty repair from a local store with success. I believe most of these are company owned. But I've heard of people being turned away from Fedex by counter clerks. UPS Store no go. Their franchise agreements disallow them from handling guns and ammo.

Aside from the lack of expense, another benefit of having a prepaid shipping label is that it legitimizes the shipment. A prepaid label is difficult for an uninformed counter clerk to question.

I have direct experience with this.

I had an RIA M200 that I was worried may have developed a crack under the cylinder. Contacted RIA and they emailed me a shipping label. I covered said label in plastic, taped it to a box, placed my revolver in its factory case (unloaded, course), then put that case in the cardboard box and dropped it at my local shipping store. I included a hand written note with my concerns inside the packaging.

About three weeks later, the revolver returned to my house with a list of work done. Thankfully it was just a deep scratch in the finish which they were able to get out.

This was 2018 or 2019 though. I wouldn't be worried though

All in all, their service was great and I didn't even have to pay shipping.

UPS Store no go.

Correct that UPS satellite stores are a NO GO. You CAN ship via UPS, you just need to go to the UPS HUB for your city / region.

For the PDX area, that is the UPS Customer Center on Basin Drive down on Swan Island. I've shipped multiple firearms via UPS.

But I've heard of people being turned away from Fedex by counter clerks.
I've had good luck with my local Fed Ex store in Gresham. Always accepted firearms I've had to ship without batting an eye. The manager is probably knowledgable and makes sure his/her employees are as well.

Shipping is actually more easy than people realize once you have tracked down and understand the pertinent fed and state laws.

I had a RIA 1911 that had missed a machining step on the bottom left of the frame. Previous owner said he hadn't shot it much, and unless he was a lefty I bet he hadn't! That sharp little corner dug in hard! Because they replaced it with a new pistol with a different SN it had to go though a FFL for the transfer.
My experience with RIA CS was great

I use "The Shipping Store" in Albany and the shipping service was predetermined by the label. They never asked what it was since it was pre-labeled.

I have direct experience with this.

I had an RIA M200 that I was worried may have developed a crack under the cylinder. Contacted RIA and they emailed me a shipping label. I covered said label in plastic, taped it to a box, placed my revolver in its factory case (unloaded, course), then put that case in the cardboard box and dropped it at my local shipping store. I included a hand written note with my concerns inside the packaging.

About three weeks later, the revolver returned to my house with a list of work done. Thankfully it was just a deep scratch in the finish which they were able to get out.

This was 2018 or 2019 though. I wouldn't be worried though

All in all, their service was great and I didn't even have to pay shipping.
How many rounds have you put through it so far?