JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
SA GI's are GREAT guns.

If left alone, they're reliable like an AK. Relaxed tolerances, strong finish. It's a GREAT weapon.

It's also one of the BEST base guns to build a "race gun" out of. Something about the frames being so 100% perfect.

And it's pretty cheap. For 90 bucks, you can add a beavertail, and lower/flare the ejection port. :)

Kimbers/Wilsons/Etc don't handle well. Over seas, they refuse to function. Don't tolerate dirt.

I have both of these and then some, and yes parts are interchangeable within the 1911 platform. For the RIA there are even drop in parts such as hammer and beavertail with no smithing envolved. Brownells carry these. :s0155: And my RIA GI kicks okole (@$$) right out of the box. Had it for close to a year now with about 1000 rounds through it. It is still very solid and accurate as is.

I have a RRA 1911,it has been a very reliable gun right out of the box.
The trigger on mine is actually quite good,Wichaka was even surprised when he handled it.
This is not the only 1911 we have,it may not have the finish of our Colt ,but it works just as well and goes bang every time for a lot less money.
Mine was a gift from my wife,i had a buisiness trip for work and ended up in North Carolina for a while,when i came back she surprised me with it.
I was skeptical at first,but have since considered getting another to build up.
RK

I have owned both the Springfield and the RAI. I sold the springer bought a RAI and pocked a couple of hundred. Imo I think the RAI is currently making one of the best 1911's for the dollor today.

Guns&Ammo published a 1911 special magazine this year. Lots of good stuff. Still available. One section was a series of tips for owning and buying a 1911. A subheading was titled something like, "Buy Quality." Under that heading, the Rock Island GI was mentioned as one of the lower priced options in that regard.

I believe both it and the Charles Daly are made by Armscor (Arms Corporation of the Phillipines) in The Phillipines. Or I should say, "were". I think KBI broke off its relationship with Armscor in 2008 and plans to build the Charles Daly in house. But I think RIA is still a Phillipino Armscor product.

I've shot a lot of 1911s including the old standbys like Colt and Springfield, and some of the imports like Rock Island and Charles Daly. If I was buying for resale value, I'd buy the former. If I was buying to shoot or customize, I'd buy the latter. They're a great value.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top